Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by dave
    I think Ovechkin is a helluva player and I understand why he's Washington's favourite pro sports athlete, but as long as he's the face of the Capitals, they will always be the bridesmaid. Adam Oates did everything in his power to coach Ovechkin, including a trip to Russia, and Ovechkin still refused to sacrifice. Ovechkin's window is closed and now he has a coach like Trotz?
    We've tried to get coaches who many consider to be "players coaches" to try and get Ovechkin to play better. Maybe it's time for them to try a different approach? He's 28 years old, the window is hardly closed. If he still doesn't buy into this coach and has the same habits, considering his age now and past history, it wouldn't surprise me if we tried to move him, even though with the cap number is would be extremely difficult.

Originally posted by leaffan
    From what I read if Trotz is involved Fenton is a no go. Pretty sure I read it in a tweet somewhere.
    I saw mine in the Washington Post, but chances are you might be correct. Then it looks like Shero is going to be the top guy for the job in that instance.

Comment

• leaffan
      Colton Orr Fan
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dave
      I think Ovechkin is a helluva player and I understand why he's Washington's favourite pro sports athlete, but as long as he's the face of the Capitals, they will always be the bridesmaid. Adam Oates did everything in his power to coach Ovechkin, including a trip to Russia, and Ovechkin still refused to sacrifice. Ovechkin's window is closed and now he has a coach like Trotz?
      The problem here is your thinking Trotz the guy who had to play with a budget team that strengths included a top 3 goalie and a plethora of some of the best defensemen in the NHL. They never had top end talent to really play with.

A quote from trotz regarding this:

I think I’m very adaptable. When we had Paul Kariya for a couple years and we were a little deeper at forward we were a pretty high scoring team. You need balance and if you have dynamic people – I’ve always tried to assess the talent and say ‘Okay, how can we get better as a group and how can we win hockey games?’ I’ve played a number of different systems based on our personnel but I like the personnel to dictate the strength. In Nashville, our strength was in net and defense. So our team would take the personality of the top players and that was most often on the back end.
      What I think and what guys like Thomas are going to hope for is the team's style is going to be based around the players style and not some sort of defensive system. Trotz is hopefully going to be really good and will recognize things like having OVI start in the defensive zone 30% of the time in games probably isn't the best of ideas. I always thought coaches need to stop forcing him to become a two way player and let him be the dynamic goal scorer he is. This was the first year in a long time he was starting in the offensive zone more than 40% of the time and look at the amount of goals the guy piled on.

I guess what I'm getting at here is Trotz is more of an adapter then anything which is what the Caps have needed for a while.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Another thing is that Trotz wasn't going to be out of work. He had suitors, and he is likely to chose the Caps, which means working with Ovechkin and Backstrom. He sees something with the club, and wants to be here. It's also a homecoming for him, it's where he started his scouting career and then coached our AHL affiliate until 1997. He worked with Dick Patrick and some other long-term members of the organization, so its a great fit from that regard.

From what I hear, he is very tough on players, but is also very fair and is very approachable. Striking that balance is something few people can do in any profession, and that will go a long way with this team.

Comment

• leaffan
          Colton Orr Fan
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
          Another thing is that Trotz wasn't going to be out of work. He had suitors, and he is likely to chose the Caps, which means working with Ovechkin and Backstrom. He sees something with the club, and wants to be here. It's also a homecoming for him, it's where he started his scouting career and then coached our AHL affiliate until 1997. He worked with Dick Patrick and some other long-term members of the organization, so its a great fit from that regard.

From what I hear, he is very tough on players, but is also very fair and is very approachable. Striking that balance is something few people can do in any profession, and that will go a long way with this team.
          The biggest thing about him is the way he accepts changes and isn't stubborn.

The caps really need to get a GM soon though. I'm just looking over their lineup and its a bit of a mess. The back end needs some work and the mix mash of players up front are odd. Seems like guys were playing all over the place too with different lines constantly.

Whats really scary when I look at it is how similar the caps and the leafs are. Fairly identical outside of the fact (I dunno if this helps) the caps were a bit better defensively lol.
          Last edited by leaffan; 05-26-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

The biggest thing about him is the way he accepts changes and isn't stubborn.

The caps really need to get a GM soon though. I'm just looking over their lineup and its a bit of a mess. The back end needs some work and the mix mash of players up front are odd. Seems like guys were playing all over the place too with different lines constantly.

Whats really scary when I look at it is how similar the caps and the leafs are. Fairly identical outside of the face (I dunno if this helps) the caps were a bit better defensively lol.
            Yes, it's a mess considering how they kept adding pieces at deadlines years past, and then making FA additions like Hamrlik that didn't make sense (at least looking back on it.) They do have the talent evaluators in place still, but after Trotz is hired, they definitely need to move quickly. But as I said, I am willing to wait two off-seasons to really get the roster put together. Amnesty for Green is a start, but even if they don't do that, other guys could be moved. Not much salary is coming off the books- only Penner and Grabovski- so they will have to rely on trades to clear some room.

The Caps still need to improve on defense, and that is where I am hoping Trotz can help the most. We've also not had a true shutdown guy, so that's an immediate need to acquire.

Comment

• leaffan
              Colton Orr Fan
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
              Yes, it's a mess considering how they kept adding pieces at deadlines years past, and then making FA additions like Hamrlik that didn't make sense (at least looking back on it.) They do have the talent evaluators in place still, but after Trotz is hired, they definitely need to move quickly. But as I said, I am willing to wait two off-seasons to really get the roster put together. Amnesty for Green is a start, but even if they don't do that, other guys could be moved. Not much salary is coming off the books- only Penner and Grabovski- so they will have to rely on trades to clear some room.

The Caps still need to improve on defense, and that is where I am hoping Trotz can help the most. We've also not had a true shutdown guy, so that's an immediate need to acquire.
              Im just kind of spouting off names here based off a quick look but I'd keep Green (only one year left anyways). Amnesty Laich, buyout Erskine. Resign Grabbo and try and pry a guy like Kulemin from free agency to replace Laich. Grabbo and Kule have the same agent and are said to be looking for a packaged deal. Give Kulemin 4 years at 4mil lets say and you have one hell of an upgrade.

Start hitting the trades for Dmen although that's really easier said then done.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Im just kind of spouting off names here based off a quick look but I'd keep Green (only one year left anyways). Amnesty Laich, buyout Erskine. Resign Grabbo and try and pry a guy like Kulemin from free agency to replace Laich. Grabbo and Kule have the same agent and are said to be looking for a packaged deal. Give Kulemin 4 years at 4mil lets say and you have one hell of an upgrade.

Start hitting the trades for Dmen although that's really easier said then done.
                Ah, just one year left for Green, I wouldn't waste it. Laich is a fan favorite, but he's been hurt the past two seasons and we are seeing his production decrease- though you could argue that's with his line mates always changing. It's a tough decision, but you have to make those to get better. Definitely think we need to keep Grabovski, and I am tired to the constant door rotating at the second line center spot, but I could easily see Kuznetsov going there.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

In one fell swoop, the Washington Capitals announced a new coach and general manager on Monday.

In a move that has been anticipated for a while, the Capitals named former Nashville Predators bench boss Barry Trotz the new coach. As for the open GM position, well the Caps are staying in-house, promoting Brian MacLellan to the role.

"We are extremely pleased to name Brian MacLellan the team's general manager and welcome Barry Trotz to Washington as the Capitals coach," Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said. "After conducting an extensive search for a general manager, we determined that Brian was the best candidate to help us reach our ultimate goal, winning the Stanley Cup. We have witnessed his abilities firsthand, and we have tremendous respect for how he manages people and situations. We feel he has relevant, in-depth knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of our franchise and will be forceful in addressing them. Brian always has displayed tremendous professionalism, passion and commitment to the Capitals. He has his own unique approach, and we are confident in his abilities to lead this organization to new heights.

"We are also excited to welcome Barry back to the Capitals organization. Barry is a highly respected and accomplished coach who brings us a wealth of experience. He possesses high character and the exact leadership qualities we look for in the head coach. He was the only coach we coveted, and we feel he is an ideal fit to help lead our club."

Trotz had been the coach in Nashville since the franchise's inaugural season in 1998-99, but he was part of the Capitals coaching staff prior to taking that job, hence Leonsis welcoming Trotz back to DC.

Since he was let go by the Predators, Trotz has been a hot name in the coaching community and it was just a matter of time and where he would land on his feet because everybody knew it wouldn't be long. The fit in Washington seemed natural from the start, even if Trotz isn't the kind of coach you would think would suit Alex Ovechkin and Co. all that well.

But we'll have to wait and see how Trotz can coach offense when he has the offensive talent at his disposal, something he never had too much of in Nashville. Meanwhile, the Caps hope Trotz can solidify the defense, which was a major issue this season for Washington.

"I am very excited to join the Washington Capitals and want to thank Ted Leonsis, Dick Patrick and Brian MacLellan for this opportunity," Trotz said. "This is a great organization with a strong foundation and a tremendous fan base. I look forward to working with this group of talented players and the quality front office staff this team has assembled."

As for MacLellan, well it's an interesting choice. When the Capitals fired GM George McPhee after 17 years on the job, part of the reason they did so was stressing a new approach and new eyes in the organization. MacLellan has been with the team since 2000, serving as the assistant GM for the last seven seasons.

It's not that he's an unworthy candidate, it's that you always have to wonder about promoting the man under the one you just fired and if it's the sound strategy or follows the aim you established.

The good news, though, is that he knows the organization well already and is aware of its strenghts as well as weaknesses. Having that base of knowledge as the summer quickly approaches should help the Caps do what they need to do in the offseason.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...promoted-to-gm
                  Well, coach and GM is taken care of. MacLellan is not an unknown, but I do think we should have gone outside of the organization considering how long McPhee was here. I hope he notices the holes that were never addressed by his predecessor and can make the tough decisions needed to reshape the roster.

Comment

Working...