X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diivox
    It's the other way.
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
    Are you referring to Saints Row games? Because I feel that the amount of entertainment I got out of them was worth at least double that amount.
    Don't hear me wrong. Saints Row the Third was definitely one of the top 20 games i've ever played, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Just felt like they milked the DLC. alot of crap that really didn't need to be bought. I picked up most of it anyway because I loved the game that much - in fact, thanks VSN, I bought it when it went on sale with no knowledge of what I was buying mostly because I remember everyone here saying how great it was. I was referring to the fact that the DLC in Deus Ex is practically crucial to understanding the story. wasn't some skin pack I bought because I was amused by the comic book character on the radio. I don't really appreciate when game companies milk my loyalty to a particular title, or my semi egotistical desire to say I bought all the DLC / complete my Steam library. I'd rather 1 or 2 pieces of DLC that I don't regret buying that are superbly done, than what Saints Row did :P

Comment

• jms493
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
      why is it that every review or comment that surrounds the game journey is nothing but...its beautiful?

goty for some sites and thats all they say

and how the fuck does an indie arcade game win goty? thats like giving a punter the MVP
      Yeah I am not sure how u can give it GOTY either IMO.

Comment

• Twigg4075
        Kindergarten Cop
        • Feb 2009

I can definitely see it getting GotY. It was on of the most amazing gaming experiences I've had in gaming ever, let alone 2012. It's not my GotY but it's up there.

And I don't understand why you consider to be labor the point of price and how that somehow directly results in quality of a game Maynard. I don't care if a game is $5 or $60. If it's an amazing game it's an amazing game. Period.

Comment

• jms493
          • Feb 2009

I didn't find it THAT amazing IMO. I mean at first I had no idea what the fuck I was doing then I figured it out....most of the time I was just sliding around or jumping here and there and the last level was just pushing up with the occasional obstacle.

I am not a very smart man but I had no idea what the story of the game was. Also was it even 2 hours long...seemed less.

I think everyone should try it as it is an "Experience" but there isn't much to it gameplay wise.

Comment

• Twigg4075
            Kindergarten Cop
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
            I didn't find it THAT amazing IMO. I mean at first I had no idea what the fuck I was doing then I figured it out....most of the time I was just sliding around or jumping here and there and the last level was just pushing up with the occasional obstacle.

I am not a very smart man but I had no idea what the story of the game was. Also was it even 2 hours long...seemed less.

I think everyone should try it as it is an "Experience" but there isn't much to it gameplay wise.
            It sounds like you didn't get what they were going for it all.

It also didn't hurt that it's one of the most incredible looking games ever made too.

Comment

• jms493
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
              It sounds like you didn't get what they were going for it all.
              [SRS]
              What were they going for?[/SRS]

Maybe I should play it with the developer commentary.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                Kindergarten Cop
                • Feb 2009

[SRS]
                What were they going for?
                The whole point was the journey you take, hence the name. It's about figuring shit out yourself. Like, "Where do I go?" Then you notice a huge mountain in the distance and start heading in that direction. And it's about meeting strangers and tackling the journey together with limited communication. I'm still shocked at how much I felt for these strangers that I interacted with. When I lost one during a transition I legitimately felt sad. And then I was elated when I found them again after hearing them chirping in he distance.

Then of course there is the whole

life after death thing.
                . I thought that was pretty amazing.

Comment

• jms493
                  • Feb 2009

I still don't think it can be fairly compared to games like Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, XCOM...ect.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                    Kindergarten Cop
                    • Feb 2009

I still don't think it can be fairly compared to games like Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, XCOM...ect.
                    It's not trying to be anything like those games Maynard.

Comment

• jms493
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                      It's not trying to be anything like those games Maynard.
                      no shit shirley...

Comment

• leaffan
                        Colton Orr Fan
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BazookaJoe5
                        I got AC3 for Christmas and have just started playing it, I enjoyed the beginning a lot but it has kind of fallen into a drag now, hoping the teenage Connor stuff doesn't last too long. I do like the change of scenery and time period, though, more familiar with the history of this location than I was with the Italy setting.
                        Everyone pretty much says this.

Worst part for me was I put the game away once I finally got to adult connor because I was just getting bored. I'm hoping to pick it back up when I get a chance.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• jms493
                          • Feb 2009

I am doing a dumb thing....I started Mass Effect 3 last week, got back into Borderlands 2 with a buddy, then last night opened up Far Cry 3 and played 2 hours of that. Damn.

I still haven't finished Sleepy Dogs either.....damn, damn.

Comment

• Swarley
                            A Special Kind of Cat
                            • Jul 2010

I am doing a dumb thing....I started Mass Effect 3 last week, got back into Borderlands 2 with a buddy, then last night opened up Far Cry 3 and played 2 hours of that. Damn.

I still haven't finished Sleepy Dogs either.....damn, damn.

Comment

• jms493
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Swarley
                              exactly...

Comment

• Sven Draconian
                                Not a Scandanavian
                                • Feb 2009

After watching the Giant bomb vids I bought FTL and Hotline Miami off steam. I think they were $12 combined.

Not really sure I get the appeal of Hotline Miami. It's decently fun, but there isn't much too it. Could be that I'm not very good and it's taking a lot of tries to get through each chapter and maybe it picks up. Well worth the $5 or whatever, I'll probably get close to 10 hours out of it (already have 2 or 3), but if this is one of the top 5 games of 2012 this has been a shitty year.

FTL is pretty awesome. Just started playing it last night (bought it a week ago) and I think I put in 5ish hours since then. It's insanely hard, but there are so many unique combinations and so much variety that it's not frustrating like most "hard" games. This is a game that is going to get a lot of hours. My only complaint is that it's not on my phone.

Comment

Working...