Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrntO4Life
    My Aunt Ida Smokes.
    • Mar 2009

EPIC FAIL doesn't even begin to describe Sony's network infrastructure.

Is that company run by rednecks on an airboat in the Everglades?

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
      How soon people forget about Xbox Live going down for several days in late 2008, around xmas time at that. When everyone wanted to jump online and play the new presents they received, they couldn't. And people were PAYING for that service.

And what did MS do? They gave us one crappy XBLA game, Undertow. Big fucking whoop.

nah man....that was a slowdown. it never was down. i remember that vividly specifiaclly because you seemed to have the slow down last alot longer then most people on whatever site we were using back then. It was never down though during that time you mentioned.

there is a huge difference too. you know what the problem is. they basically allowed their network to be completely exposed in a way that cant not be fixed by rebuilding the network. Sure they can rebuild all they want. But it will onjly be a matter of time before they get hacked again.

When u give away the keys to the castle, the only solution is to change the locks. Locks cant be patched....they must be replaced

is sony going to replace every system? i think not.....this system is exposed for the remainder of its life. ps3 owners will deal with this until next gen

Comment

• Spidey
        • Feb 2009

IMO, its pretty naive to think this couldn't happen to any of the gaming console networks if the right people are motivated. Sony just pissed off the wrong people apparently...

That said, hopefully the other networks and their owners would be more responsible in handling it if it did happen.

Comment

• Virix
          I see you
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Maynard
          nah man....that was a slowdown. it never was down. i remember that vividly specifiaclly because you seemed to have the slow down last alot longer then most people on whatever site we were using back then. It was never down though during that time you mentioned.
          QFT. It was laggy as all hell, and would disconnect you but the network wasnt down for weeks like some people claim.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
            My Aunt Ida Smokes.
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Spidey
            IMO, its pretty naive to think this couldn't happen to any of the gaming console networks if the right people are motivated. Sony just pissed off the wrong people apparently...
            There's a huge difference between "could" and "has". Until LIVE actually gets hacked, it doesn't matter.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Fuck, don't remember my PSN password. I think I know, but it may be another one I use.

Fuck.

Need to check which card I have associated with it too...

Can't check till it comes back though.....fuckin PSN.

Comment

• krulmichael
                STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
                • Feb 2009

So in a nutshell we should switch our PSN passwords and keep an eye on our account which our credit card is associated with?

Twitch Channel
                http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
                Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
                Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
                Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
                Season V: 2-1

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by krulmichael
                  So in a nutshell we should switch our PSN passwords and keep an eye on our account which our credit card is associated with?
                  Once PSN comes back on, yes.

If you use the PSN password elsewhere, change those too.

Plus watch out for any phishing scams whether it's in the snail mail, e-mail, telephone, whatever the fuck.

Comment

• Spidey
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BrntO4Life
                    There's a huge difference between "could" and "has". Until LIVE actually gets hacked, it doesn't matter.
                    I don't disagree. I'm not trying to tear down Live or defend PSN. I've got both but barely use either online anymore. Just meant that this type of stuff can happen to anyone if there are people motivated enough to do it.

As an analogy, there is the notion of Macs being safer than PCs. Its not true. The PC is just targeted significantly more than the PC. In this situation, hypothetically, Sony may have had a more advanced security than Live. But it pissed off a large and talented group of hackers. Those hackers then focus on Sony.

I doubt Sony's security is more advanced though. This is definitely a black eye for Sony. And I have a feeling is going to look even worse as anger grows about the wait to inform of the stolen data.

Comment

• leaffan
                      Colton Orr Fan
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                      How soon people forget about Xbox Live going down for several days in late 2008, around xmas time at that. When everyone wanted to jump online and play the new presents they received, they couldn't. And people were PAYING for that service.

And what did MS do? They gave us one crappy XBLA game, Undertow. Big fucking whoop.
                      Want some more cheese with that whine?

Comparing a network slow down because they weren't ready for the amount of traffic to hit their network vs sony totally shitting the bed and now your information might be floating around with a few million other peoples info on some nerds computer because sony is pretty stupid is really dumb. You're starting to get into chodite levels on fanboyism.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• leaffan
                        Colton Orr Fan
                        • Feb 2009

I don't disagree. I'm not trying to tear down Live or defend PSN. I've got both but barely use either online anymore. Just meant that this type of stuff can happen to anyone if there are people motivated enough to do it.

As an analogy, there is the notion of Macs being safer than PCs. Its not true. The PC is just targeted significantly more than the PC. In this situation, hypothetically, Sony may have had a more advanced security than Live. But it pissed off a large and talented group of hackers. Those hackers then focus on Sony.

I doubt Sony's security is more advanced though. This is definitely a black eye for Sony. And I have a feeling is going to look even worse as anger grows about the wait to inform of the stolen data.
                        Sony's security is pretty bad when all it takes is a person to flash a ps3 with some ripped off rom and the dev part of their back end opens up which leads to the ability to see everyone's information. That just sounds like a bunch of lazy people to me.

Comment

• Spidey
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by leaffan
                          Sony's security is pretty bad when all it takes is a person to flash a ps3 with some ripped off rom and the dev part of their back end opens up which leads to the ability to see everyone's information. That just sounds like a bunch of lazy people to me.
                          Completely agree. And I am not trying to defend Sony. They look ridiculous in this situation on multiple levels.

Maybe my point is being missed but I am not sure how else to phrase it. Oh well, either way. As you mentioned earlier, change your password folks. This will likely be a good lesson for many not to use the same password for everything. Something most of us know but many don't follow.

Comment

• leaffan
                            Colton Orr Fan
                            • Feb 2009

On the plus side anytime someone says something about vsn servers he can point to sony and said they do it to

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                              My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                              • Mar 2009

Completely agree. And I am not trying to defend Sony. They look ridiculous in this situation on multiple levels.

Maybe my point is being missed but I am not sure how else to phrase it. Oh well, either way. As you mentioned earlier, change your password folks. This will likely be a good lesson for many not to use the same password for everything. Something most of us know but many don't follow.
                              I got your point, I just think you're incorrect.

It's not like people haven't tried to hack LIVE. Microsoft has to deal with modding and JTAGed 360s, but no one has gotten into their system that they couldn't kick out.

Prior to Sony removing Linux, hackers had no reason to try and get into the system because they had their own OS to screw around in.

In short, SCEA/J is ruled by an enormous amount of incompetence.

Comment

• krulmichael
                                STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                                Once PSN comes back on, yes.

If you use the PSN password elsewhere, change those too.

Plus watch out for any phishing scams whether it's in the snail mail, e-mail, telephone, whatever the fuck.
                                I'm hoping even if info was comprised, that the guys that did hack into it just did it to piss Sony off and not actually steal people's shit. But then again, if it's there, why not? You're already doing something illegal, might as well do as much damage as you can. Fingers crossed though.

Twitch Channel
                                http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
                                Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
                                Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
                                Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
                                Season V: 2-1

Comment

Working...