X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sven Draconian
    Not a Scandanavian
    • Feb 2009

Official OOTP thread

Not sure if anybody else is playing this game or not. If not, and you like baseball, check out...

www.ootpdevelopments.com.

Just started up a new game tonight. Simming through 2011 (Rosters are from 2010) and taking the worst team.
  • spiker
    Beast mode
    • Apr 2011

I picked it up last week. It's a good game but I don't think I'm getting the most out of my team. There's just way too much information to swallow.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
      Not a Scandanavian
      • Feb 2009

Ended up simming another season (Until the end of 2012) and then taking my Tigers (tied for 3rd worst record, 25th farm season, no winning seasons during the sim, finished with 96 losses).

They Tigers had a massive payroll around 110 million. Including 3 20 million per year deals (Verlander, Jose Reyes, Cabrera) and 10 million to Adam Dunn.

Verlander had Tommy John in 2011 and lost his control (126 walks in 218 innings, only 179 K's and 25 HR), putting him as a back end starter at age 30. Dealt him + a utility infielder to the yankees for a relief pitcher who was solid in AAA, but no majors experience (Age 27).

Adam Dunn was 33 and had 4 more years on his deal. He had slipped a little bit the past year (OBP down to .360, lost a littler power). Still a good hitter, but was on the downside. Traded him to Houston for 3 good, young players and some pair of decent prospects (+ I had a couple minor league throw ins).

Reyes was 29 and coming off back to back average seasons hitting wise (OPS+ at 99, .360s OBP, little power). He did have 54 steals and was an awesome defender at SS. But his contract was 22 million for 4 years. Still a good player, but not a 22 million dollar player. Dealt him to the Angels for 2 stud pitching prospcts and an OF prospect.

Then came FA. I had 68 million to spend. Signed Cole Hammels (29 this season, 5 straight years with a sub 4 ERA) to a 20 million a year deal for 4 years. Then signed James Toney (OPS+ of 150, 144, 133 the past 3 seasons) to a 21 million a year deal to be a 1B/DH.

Also signed Melky Cabrera (28, .360 OBP for 3 straight years) to be my 4th OF. Omar Infante (.360+ OBP for 5 years, but limited ABs) to be an all-around utility guy. Singed Jhonny Peralta (.325 OBP) to be a utility IF, Pinch hitter type. All 3 signed for under 800,000 a piece.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
        Not a Scandanavian
        • Feb 2009

Here is the roster heading into 2013

Aquired this off-season

CF Ryan Westmoreland *Dunn trade* (.276/.340/.410/.750) *22 yeears old*
        1B James Loney *FA*
        (.307/.376/.506/.882)
        DH Miguel Cabrera (.284/.366/.524/.890)
        RF Wesley Jones (.289/.347/.506/.853) *25 yr old*
        3B Pedro Alvarez (.263/.354/.463/.817) *26 yr old*
        C Alex Avilia (.239/.344/.422/.766) *26 yr old*
        LF Melky Cabrera *FA* (.272/.362/.378/740)
        SS Brandon Vech *Dunn trade* (.283/.336/.390/.726) *22yr old*
        2B Omar Infante *FA*
        (.303/.359/.440/.799) *Career avg*

On the Bench:
        Austin Jackson (OF) (.265/.321/.405/.726) *26 yr old*
        Jhonny Peralta (IF) (.262/.325/.402/.728)
        Jeff Larish (1B)
        Mitch Canham (C)

Staff:
        Cole Hammels (18-5, 238.2, 2.94. 3.4 K/BB, 3.65 FIP). *FA*
        Bud Norris (12-11, 213.2, 4.38, 1.8 K/BB, 4.89 FIP) *Dunn Trade*
        Jesus Torres (1-2, 41.2IP, 4.54, 1.6 K/BB, 4.23 FIP)*Reyes Trade Trade 23 yr old*

Rick Porcello (8-12, 192.1, 5.33, 1.2 K/BB, 4.75 FIP)

Setup:
        Fu-Te Ni (5 saves, 59 IP, 6.8 K/9, 3.97 FIP)
        Cody Satterwhite *Rookie*

Closer:
        Mark Melancon *Verlander Trade, Rookie*

On the DL:
        SP- Max Scherzer (Early May) (8-9, 165 IP, 4.14, 2.05 K/BB, 4.42 FIP)
        2B- Scott Sizemore (Season) (.266/.324/.422/.747)

Comment

• G-men
          Posts too much
          • Nov 2011

ive tried to play this a couple times, but it just becomes too overwhelming to me.

Comment

• spiker
            Beast mode
            • Apr 2011

Did you just want to make a Dynasty thread Sven?

Comment

• Sven Draconian
              Not a Scandanavian
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by spiker
              Did you just want to make a Dynasty thread Sven?
              Apparently. I was thinking this would be a "How's your Dynasty/Franchise/Legacy" going type deal, but I guess the games not that popular here.

Comment

• spiker
                Beast mode
                • Apr 2011

What's your typical score per season, Sven?

Comment

• Youk
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

Love the game. I try to make dynasty threads, but I just love to get the seasons going and see how careers develop. I just had David Wright retire at age 45, setting the new MLB record for games played. He played 10 years past when he fell off the map, but he never wanted crazy money after that.

Comment

• leaffan
                    Colton Orr Fan
                    • Feb 2009

I just started to get into this since I run it on my laptop and pretty much play it when I'm lounging around on my couch or before I goto sleep.

One think I noticed. Why are trades so easy to make. I've turned the difficulty up a bit and it still seems like I can get a pretty good player for almost nothing.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• Sven Draconian
                      Not a Scandanavian
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by heelswxman
                      I've tried getting into this several times over the few years, each time I give up. I used to play Eastside Hockey Manager and I'm still playing Football Manager a few hours a day, but OOTP intimidates the shit out of me.
                      Very easy to get lost if you do anything other than the stock MLB setup. Even then it's easy to get lost. I honestly don't know what everything does (I guess that's why it's good?)

Originally posted by Youk
                      Love the game. I try to make dynasty threads, but I just love to get the seasons going and see how careers develop. I just had David Wright retire at age 45, setting the new MLB record for games played. He played 10 years past when he fell off the map, but he never wanted crazy money after that.
                      Yea, it's too slow to do dynasty threads. You can sim through a season in a week following things fairly closely. Trying to update a dynasty drops you down to like quarter speed.

Originally posted by leaffan
                      I just started to get into this since I run it on my laptop and pretty much play it when I'm lounging around on my couch or before I goto sleep.

One think I noticed. Why are trades so easy to make. I've turned the difficulty up a bit and it still seems like I can get a pretty good player for almost nothing.
                      The AI is the only downfall of this game. The ability to undervalue their own players is staggering. Serious house rules are needed.

Comment

• Irish
                        do you see my jesus chain
                        • Oct 2008

Any one getting OOTP 12?

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

So how do you get this? Is it free? A download? etc?

Comment

• RyanLeaf16
                            #DoSomething
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                            So how do you get this? Is it free? A download? etc?
                            Go to ootpdevelopments.com and you can DL the game for $39.99. It is definitely worth it once you get some face packs, logo packs and full minors. I literally have played this game for a full day non-stop and did not finish a season. There is so much you can do with the game. Roster management is true to life and apparently, this year's version is really good. Historical leagues that play to a +/-3% variation, the reserve clause for historical leagues, appropriate salaries for different decades, etc.

For a guy like you, I think you would really enjoy, and appreciate, all you can do with it and the attention to detail.
                            Maddon & Friedman: Pissing off the AL East since 2008

Comment

• Youk
                              Posts too much
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Irish
                              Any one getting OOTP 12?
                              Eventually, possibly. Maybe if it is free...

Comment

Working...