Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by MVPete
    Actually after watching the video, this stuff doesn't really interest me at all. lol
    It really is what Bungie offers for Halo- a big community and ways to track stats. The best part about that is that its free. The only redeeming factor for it will be how much DLC they can put out for it (and that would depend on how many people subscribe to it.)

Comment

• ralaw
      Posts too much
      • Feb 2009

All I care about are the map packs. I'm not trying to pay for a monthly service to get map packs. I hope they have some sort of system in place to be able to just download the map packs.....if not I'll probably lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm not a fan of developers putting out 1/2 games, because they know they can put everything else into a "service" that people will pay for.

Comment

• padman59
        Slayer of Demons
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
        All I care about are the map packs. I'm not trying to pay for a monthly service to get map packs. I hope they have some sort of system in place to be able to just download the map packs.....if not I'll probably lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm not a fan of developers putting out 1/2 games, because they know they can put everything else into a "service" that people will pay for.
        To be fair, it doesn't seem like this subscription affects online play or makes new maps inaccessible for those who don't pay. From what's been officially revealed, CoD Elite is all stat tracking and community features so far.

Comment

• Bear Pand
          RIP Indy Colts
          • Feb 2009

I hope you guys tell activision to fuck off.

I don't mess with call of duty, but the last thing I need is this becoming a huge success and games I do play piggybacking and charging too.

Comment

• Twigg4075
            Kindergarten Cop
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MvP
            Bungie offers this for free...
            Originally posted by jms493
            This is EXACTLY what I was going to say....same free stuff that HALO provides. IT is a money maker for Activision though. I think it is overpriced though. 4.99 would sound better but I am thinking they get 10% of the people that play to sign up and it is just easy money.
            Exactly. All this is is bungie.net. Give me a break.

And I love how everyone in this thread is just assuming the cost will be $7.99 a month because the OP put it in the title. If you read the article it says it will be less than that so it probably will be $5.

I love how Pete recognizes that it's the exact same thing but says he's getting it. Are you proving that you are just so cool you have money to burn or what? We get it man, you just don't care what you're spending your money on. That's awesome. I have tons of money to burn too but I sure am not going to waste it on leaderboards and bullshit.

Comment

• Twigg4075
              Kindergarten Cop
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete
              Actually after watching the video, this stuff doesn't really interest me at all. lol
              You sonuvabitch! Getting me all riled up for nothing.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                Kindergarten Cop
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Based Pand
                I hope you guys tell activision to fuck off.

I don't mess with call of duty, but the last thing I need is this becoming a huge success and games I do play piggybacking and charging too.
                And this is my main problem. I know JMS quoted me earlier assuming I hate CoD. I don't. It's a decent game. I think it's way over hyped. I think they already fucked people with overpriced map packs.

When this thing sells well, which it will, it will set another bad precedent. People scoff now but I guarantee you in five years we will be paying extra to fucking look at our achievements or leaderboards. This can't go anywhere but downhill.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                  My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                  • Mar 2009

Unless they release monthly map packs, there's no way that this will be properly valuable to the consumer.

Comment

• killgod
                    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BrntO4Life
                    Unless they release monthly map packs, there's no way that this will be properly valuable to the consumer.
                    And by monthly map packs you surely mean old maps from previous COD games right?

:D

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                      My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                      And by monthly map packs you surely mean old maps from previous COD games right?

I guess that would at least be something...

Comment

• PP
                        • Feb 2010

imagine EA copying this and charging us for EASPORTSWORLD? lol. It would be cool to see detailed information about the plays you run etc though kind of liek their scouting thing which was very poorly implememnted.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                          Let's Go All The Way...
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by PP
                          imagine EA copying this and charging us for EASPORTSWORLD? lol. It would be cool to see detailed information about the plays you run etc though kind of liek their scouting thing which was very poorly implememnted.
                          Going by the "Gaming's a Luxury, Not a Hobby" model (tm), I could see it happen.

You see it in premium preorders (MW2 with the Night Vision Goggles; Black Ops with remote control car; LBP2 with the Bookends; the upcoming inFamous 2 with the figurine, backpack, etc.) for all the AAA titles and some niche games as well.

If people are willing to put more money into a title as an "investment", then publishers are going to be willing to find ways to take said money.

You saw it in DLC, you saw it with the Apps that allowed you to fiddle with your team on EA's football games and EA's gonna see Activision make bank on COD: Elite and do the same to their customers.

On a sidenote when it comes to advertising: I LOVE how Activision chose the buzzword, "Elite."

It sings to the buyer that they're special for putting money into the service and are better than those who just get the game stock from the store.

Can't wait until Elite becomes a required service.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod

C'mon! Those maps were completely remastered and adjusted. Those guys put a ton of work into them!:uglyhammer:

Comment

• KNUBB
                              WHITE RONDO
                              • Jun 2009

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmp8VwC9hA&hd=1[/ame]

Beta Sign Up: http://www.callofduty.com/elite

Comment

• CCBrink
                                Awkward Swag
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by CCBrink
                                This video explaining the service leaked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7svs...layer_embedded

Comment

Working...