X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

EA's next level of ridiculousness - Season Pass

EA Sports will offer an annual subscription for hardcore sports gamers, which includes a three-day, pre-release full-play preview of five of the label's most popular titles, and a 20 percent discount on their paid downloadable content catalog. EA Sports' "Season Ticket" begins Aug. 27 with Madden NFL 12, and it will…

Season Pass Details.

What you pay? $25
    What you get? A 3 day free(lol ?) early play of games like Madden, NHL and FIFA. You can download the whole 5-6GB games and then they lock upon release day where you have to buy the disc from the store. Your saves n shit will carry over.
    You also get a 20% discount on buying virtual coins and other useless EA sports shit.

They've also suggested things like TeamBuilder (NCAA), Creation Centre (FIFA) will be included in this package, meaning future additions to these features won't be given for free any longer.

Good grief...
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

This is not an offering that will pay for itself, unless you intend to buy more than $125 worth of downloadable content from EA Sports in a year. For all of the crap EA Sports takes for its microtransaction and DLC catalog, I don't see how that total can be reached normally. All of Madden NFL 12's accelerators can be had for $10. The "Power Pack" delivering everything in NCAA 12 is $25. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 offers the most premium DLC but to buy every additional course offered (through two bundles) would cost $58. Except for Ultimate Team obssessives, the premium DLC discount is a perk, not a reason to buy the Season Ticket.

That leaves the preview weekend as the key reason to plunk down the $25. Subscribers will get an email notification when the game is available on PSN or Xbox Live, but will have to trigger the download manually. While playing a game for three days before the general public can buy it poses a "play early, play more, play better," proposition, as EA Sports President Peter Moore put it, those who are primarily multiplayer gamers should consider what kind of experience they'll be getting. Sure, there's a chance to familiarize yourself with the game's new mechanics in singleplayer, but online multiplayer matchmaking, in that preview weekend, will be more limited than what is seen on the day of release.
    Also, it's console limited.

What a fuckin joke!

Comment

• Nevermind
      Pewter
      • Oct 2008

Will these 3 day previews be patched because it seems like every year NCAA and Madden need a release day patch.

Comment

• killgod
        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
        • Oct 2008

Nope. You probably won't have release day rosters either.

Comment

• Nevermind
          Pewter
          • Oct 2008

$25 for a demo with a few more things unlocked. The worst part is that there will be people that buy this.

Comment

• jms493
            • Feb 2009

Ultimately it will be up to us to determine if this fails or succeeds. Big Business feeds off the uneducated and financially irresponsible consumer.

Comment

• Ravin
              Dishing the Gino's
              • Feb 2009

And you just know there will be hundreds of idiots wanting to play a game 3 days in advance. Not saying people here will, but we have a "Where can I get the game early" threads every year for almost every game, so in a sense, this gives everyone the option of playing it early. Of course only a fucking idiot would pay $25 for a game that will be basically an offline game. If it was $10, people would do it more, but $25 you are paying 1/3 of the retail price for 3 days. So yeah, stupid uneducated people are fucked.
              All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• leaffan
                Colton Orr Fan
                • Feb 2009

Peter Moore is an idiot.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• MrBill
                  Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                  • Feb 2009

I typically play the game up to a week or more early on my Xbox 360 at zero cost. Won't be paying this $25 rip off fee.

Comment

• Hitman
                    Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
                    I typically play the game up to a week or more early on my Xbox 360 at zero cost. Won't be paying this $25 rip off fee.
                    Indeed.. This year was weird with NCAA not being available until release day but it is usually around a week or so early. Fuck EA and their cash grabs..

Comment

• tigstah
                      Mr. Casual Gamer
                      • Mar 2009

i wish the fuck i would pay 25 bucks to play that pos early. :niggaplease:

yup there are people who would pay early......for those who do :obama:

so you are renting the game for 3 days, then it locks. as someone said, 10 bucks maybe.....25 hell no.

Comment

• leaffan
                        Colton Orr Fan
                        • Feb 2009

I read on the Facebook announcement page you'd have to roughly spend $125 on dlc alone to make it worth it that way.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• killgod
                          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by leaffan
                          I read on the Facebook announcement page you'd have to roughly spend $125 on dlc alone to make it worth it that way.
                          It was derived from the 2nd kotaku piece about it

This is not an offering that will pay for itself, unless you intend to buy more than $125 worth of downloadable content from EA Sports in a year. For all of the crap EA Sports takes for its microtransaction and DLC catalog, I don't see how that total can be reached normally. All of Madden NFL 12's accelerators can be had for $10. The "Power Pack" delivering everything in NCAA 12 is $25. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 offers the most premium DLC but to buy every additional course offered (through two bundles) would cost $58. Except for Ultimate Team obssessives, the premium DLC discount is a perk, not a reason to buy the Season Ticket.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                            Giants in the Super Bowl
                            • Mar 2009

Why can't another developer rise up and smash these fools in the brain? (and the pocketbook, too)

Comment

• PP
                              • Feb 2010

So by the time the game downloads 6gb (very slow with their shitty servers) we could have waited 1 day and buy it retail? failx1000

Comment

Working...