X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

[ALL] Looking to get into RPGs

I'm looking to get into RPGs. I've pretty much never played any outside of various Zelda games, Pokemon and the Fallout/Oblivion series.

What should I look for? I have a Playstation 2, Xbox 360, GBA and can do emulators if it comes to it.
    VoicesofWrestling.com
  • Maynard
    stupid ass titles
    • Feb 2009

did u play skyrim? cant go wrong there. if you want something on the cheap side try dragon age origins.
    mass effect series is a virtual cant miss.

if you want something more action based rpg....try kingdom of amular. awesome combat in that game with great rpg elements.

Comment

• killgod
      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
      • Oct 2008

I started a game of Icewind Dale 2 a couple weeks back, epic game, true RPG.

Comment

• Swarley
        A Special Kind of Cat
        • Jul 2010

Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins would be a good place to start.

Comment

• Leftwich
          Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by FedEx227
          I'm looking to get into RPGs. I've pretty much never played any outside of various Zelda games, Pokemon and the Fallout/Oblivion series.

What should I look for? I have a Playstation 2, Xbox 360, GBA and can do emulators if it comes to it.
          I'm a big fan of some of the Final Fantasy games namely 7 and 8. You have to know a few things going into it. Zelda imo is not a true RPG. An rpg to me is the turnbased battle system IE Final Fantasy.

Pokemon is your closest thing to one of those games with random encounters and what not. If i'm you i start with Final Fantasy 8. Its on the ps1, you can download it of PSN (but you don't have a ps3) or if you look hard enough you can find a torrent of it for the PC. I don't typically play RPG games on the 360 cause most all of them suck.

Mass Effect 1 is a very RPG driven game in the like of Fallout and Oblivion so if you really wanna get your feet wet try that out.

Originally posted by Tailback U
          It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

I want to try to get into the turn-based ones. I've done the Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion type "RPG" but would really love to get into the random encounters, turn-based style.
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Juggernaut
              Sitting on the Sidelines
              • Dec 2008

My area of expertise hands down. I've played almost all the well known ones.

Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8
              Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross
              Knights of the Old Republic
              Secrets of Mana
              Earthbound
              Valkyria Chronicles
              Suikoden I and II
              Xenogears
              Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age
              The World Ends with You
              Paper Mario series
              Final Fantasy Tatics series
              Fire Emblem series
              Kingdom Hearts series
              Breath of Fire series
              Tales of Phantasia
              Resonance of Fate

Give me some more details and I can probably find the game for you. Out of the above, I'd easily recommend Chrono Trigger. It is hands down one of the most influential rpgs of all time, if not #1.

I want to try to get into the turn-based ones. I've done the Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion type "RPG" but would really love to get into the random encounters, turn-based style.
              Play Chrono Trigger, you won't regret it. Also my favorite game, biased of course, is Golden Sun on the gba. I've literally played that game hundreds of times.

Comment

• killgod
                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                • Oct 2008

Take my advice then.

Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter...

They are PC games, but old enough that whatever you're using would work. Turn based, you pause as you need to command your party, etc.

Comment

• Leftwich
                  Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

I would hate for you to try your first turnbased as a 360 final fantasy. They are all ass.

Since you have PS2 try to find Final Fantasy 10.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                  It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Maynard
                    stupid ass titles
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                    I started a game of Icewind Dale 2 a couple weeks back, epic game, true RPG.
                    that game is from 2002....is it that good? i see its only 10 bucks

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

I do have Final Fantasy 7 for PS1.

Really want to get into the GBA ones since that allows me to play on my couch and still watch TV. Also gets me through car rides, plane trips, etc.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• killgod
                        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                        • Oct 2008

The lot of them are considered amongst the best RPG's ever made. Depends if the game style suits you or not I guess.

Comment

• Saluki
                          Ball So Hard
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Juggernaut
                          My area of expertise hands down. I've played almost all the well known ones.

Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8
                          Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross
                          Knights of the Old Republic
                          Secrets of Mana
                          Earthbound
                          Valkyria Chronicles
                          Suikoden I and II
                          Xenogears
                          Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age
                          The World Ends with You
                          Paper Mario series
                          Final Fantasy Tatics series
                          Fire Emblem series
                          Kingdom Hearts series
                          Breath of Fire series
                          Tales of Phantasia
                          Resonance of Fate

Give me some more details and I can probably find the game for you. Out of the above, I'd easily recommend Chrono Trigger. It is hands down one of the most influential rpgs of all time, if not #1.

Play Chrono Trigger, you won't regret it. Also my favorite game, biased of course, is Golden Sun on the gba. I've literally played that game hundreds of times.
                          Super Nintendo RPGs
                          This man knows his rpgs listen to him. Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG of all time. You'll need an snes emulator though

If you can find xenogears it's a great PS game you can play on your ps2

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4g using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                            Wakka Wakka
                            • Dec 2008

Find Final Fantasy 10 right now
                            THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• SethMode
                              Master of Mysticism
                              • Feb 2009

I saw this thread and got super excited to offer my .02. And most of my suggestions were already offered.

Fallout 1 and 2 are in my top 10 games ever. Turn based, WRPG. As Juggernaut said, you can't go wrong with Chrono Trigger, probably my favorite JRPG with Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US) a very close second.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 though (2 my personal) are RPG Mecca. Dragon Age Origins does a lot of things right, but to this day no one has met the amount of content, story, and replayability of the BG series.

Some not mentioned: Arcanum (tough game, finding fan patches is a must -- but very good in the same vein as BG), and Vampire: Bloodlines (again, fan patches a requirement, and you have to tolerate some fairly douchie vampire talk...but it does have the voice of Bender/Marcus Fenix!)

Comment

Working...