Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Primetime
    Thank You Prince
    • Nov 2008

I'd really prefer that to be true. Let the cheaters, glitchers, and thieves get the PS4 where you don't have strong repercussions for doing so.

Comment

• Pitty
      Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
      • Feb 2009

Why didn't they hire this guy to explain cloud gaming?

An anonymous post from a Microsoft engineer reveals the company's plans and hopes for the Xbox One - in a far better way than Microsoft has been doing so far.
      Microsoft has not had a lot of luck in the marketing phase of its campaign against Sony’s PlayStation 4. In a lot of way, the company’s own efforts at touting the benefits of the Xbox One have been a major part of the issue. Not only has Microsoft been party to poorly staged (and in poor taste) banter at one of its E3 events, it’s done a poor job of explaining its thinking and aims when it comes to digital rights management, or DRM. When Sony came out and cleverly stated that it would not be including DRM, it seemed it was game, set and match in Sony’s favour – despite the fact that it was bit of a porky.

Sony will still require a disc in the drive of its consoles, which has been the traditional DRM strategy for years. What’s more, the company has only stated that its own games will be DRM-free. Third party developers can go nuts if they want.

It’s just not as simple as saying anyone has ‘won’ or ‘lost’ just yet; there are so many other parts to his equation, such as game pricing, which are yet to be revealed.

Unless, that is, you take into account the anonymous post made to Pastebin overnight, purporting to be from a Microsoft engineer. It’s a telling, and far more eloquent, defence of Microsoft’s strategy with the Xbox One.

The main thrust of the so-called engineer’s argument certainly seems sound. “Think about it,” he opines, “on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say ‘Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$’ that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.”

It’s a great point, and he makes it even clearer. “The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF FUCKING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it's a bumpy road.”

Steam, as the engineer himself points out, was reviled by many sections of the gaming community at launch, but Valve’s decision to stick with it has ultimately lead to cheaper games, more variety, and more cut-through for developers of every stripe. If Microsoft is indeed aiming to do the same thing on the console market... this can only be a good thing for gamers.

And if it can drop prices of Xbox One games, then the price-premium you pay for the console itself is more than offset by the ongoing savings you make on games. It’s a win-win scenario for Microsoft and its customers at each level of its business, developer and customer.

Our anonymous engineer also addresses the ‘don’t buy an Xbox One’ argument for those who don’t have/want and always-on console, though here’s he’s almost as blunt. “Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don't. Don't buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn't have a broadband connection don't get Live, and if you don't have an HDTV the 360 isn't that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool shit when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.”

Basically, if we can take the post at face value, Microsoft has made the decision to force innovation on its customers. A brave move, and one that the company has so far not sold well, but it has be said that when all Xbox consoles have Kinect capability, it will be developed for with much greater frequency, and in ever more creative ways.

He or she closes with a pretty interesting piece of bi-partisan advice for console buyers. “Honestly, if you care about anything other than pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.”

Suddenly, I know I’m feeling a lot more positive about Microsoft’s plans – assuming the post is valid. But even then, these are some pretty solid arguments.

And the war is far, far from over.

Comment

• Garrett67
        Glory Hole Monitor
        • Feb 2009

Official Xbox One Thread

Twigg is back. Nobody say anything, lets just let him go :p

Btw, welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Garrett67
          Glory Hole Monitor
          • Feb 2009

I think Twigg had his account hacked before

Anyway, from CAG

Comment

• SethMode
            Master of Mysticism
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Garrett67
            I think Twigg had his account hacked before

Anyway, from CAG

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/blog/23...s-on-xbox-one/

I think Jon Blow put it the best when he was on GiantBomb's Day 2 recap thing: MS is making poor engineering choices at the very least with stuff like this. They are setting themselves up with new ways to fail if even one tiny thing goes wrong.

Comment

• Epidemik
              Commitment to Excellence
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Pitty
              Confirmed as false.

I know where you got the information that it was false... but you didnt even read the whole thread

Comment

• Handleit_44
                Posts a lot
                • Jun 2009

Comment

• padman59
                  Slayer of Demons
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Handleit_44
                  I was just about to post this, and Larry Hryb says you'll still have access to your games if you're banned. (48 seconds in)

Comment

• Twigg4075
                    Kindergarten Cop
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by PepperNY
                    Did he really just say that! I've been a huge supporter of Xbox over the years and that statement makes me want to tell Microsoft to kiss my ass
                    Has Twigg been kidnapped? Figured he wouldn't miss an opportunity to do more Microsoft bashing and he's been awfully quiet since E3 started lol
                    Originally posted by Primetime
                    He's on vacation. No matter what side you are on, Lord help us all when he comes back.
                    I'm glad to see I was on so many MS fanboy minds while I was gone. I'm sure not going to wade through the hundreds of what I'm sure are hilarious, if not completely predictable comments from the same handful of people here. It's funny how you clowns can "support" a company or a console so vehemently but I do all the bashing and I'm the fanboy? Makes sense. Lime how Pepper makes comments out of his ass constantly about how shitty PSN is and how mulfiplatform games are always better on 360 and I'm the ignorant fanboy. He in particular admittedly says he's been a huge MS supporter for years but no one bats an eye. I'm a supporter of games and that's it. Each generation since I was a kid I've preferred one console or another (at one point the fucking TurboGrafx 16 was my preferred console) but I've never staunchly supported any game company. Hell, check my last few posts. Most of them have been "bashing" Sony and their shitty decisions with Vita.

MS and this console were the last things on my mind I assure you.

Seriously, get a life and a new schtick you "supporters". Just keep blindly supporting companies that couldn't give two fucks about anything but your bank account and I'll keep going on European vacations and laughing at you losers.

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Did not disappoint.

Comment

• jms493
                        • Feb 2009

We love you Twigg

Comment

• killgod
                          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                          • Oct 2008

Even after vacation he returns on form. True professional.

Comment

• PepperNY
                            Best in the World
                            • Jan 2011

If me supporting the Xbox makes me a fanboy so be it. I've also supported the PS3 as well. Kiss my ass seriously Twigg, that is all lol

Comment

• jms493
                              • Feb 2009

Comment

• Twigg4075
                                Kindergarten Cop
                                • Feb 2009

If me supporting the Xbox makes me a fanboy so be it. I've also supported the PS3 as well. Kiss my ass seriously Twigg, that is all lol
                                You just don't get it and I'm tired of explaining myself to you. I'll just do that to my kitchen wall instead.

Comment

Working...