X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garrett67
    Glory Hole Monitor
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
    In theory it sounds great but lets see if it ACTUALLY works.

Although this is no different than the classic way of letting people borrow games as more than one person can't play the same game at the same time, it's definitely easier.

This is what I wonder. I read that paragraph several times and although it doesn't say you can't play it at the same time (even though there is a comparison to the classic way), I'm sure that there has to be a caveat to it. I can't imagine them
    allowing jms to buy a game and then sharing it with 10 of us here and allowing any of us to play said game concurrently.

Comment

• jms493
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Garrett67
      This is what I wonder. I read that paragraph several times and although it doesn't say you can't play it at the same time (even though there is a comparison to the classic way), I'm sure that there has to be a caveat to it. I can't imagine them
      allowing jms to buy a game and then sharing it with 10 of us here and allowing any of us to play said game concurrently.
      I think I read that only 1 person from your family list can play from your shared games at a time but not including you. Who doesn't say the the publisher puts a restriction on this like EA telling MS you cant share Battlefield 4?

Comment

• Garrett67
        Glory Hole Monitor
        • Feb 2009

I think I read that only 1 person from your family list can play from your shared games at a time but not including you. Who doesn't say the the publisher puts a restriction on this like EA telling MS you cant share Battlefield 4?
        and really, that is how it should be.

Comment

• JBauerisGod
          ...is amazing.
          • Feb 2009

My theory is that the person who buys the game owns the license forever (not including the one trade-in stuff). Then he has the option to share the game with 9 other people in his "family". Once he shares the game with the other person, the other person is the only one allowed to play the game. The original buyer has the option to take the game back whenever.

Comment

• jms493
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JBauerisGod
            My theory is that the person who buys the game owns the license forever (not including the one trade-in stuff). Then he has the option to share the game with 9 other people in his "family". Once he shares the game with the other person, the other person is the only one allowed to play the game. The original buyer has the option to take the game back whenever.
            I disagree. it says that you will ALWAYS be able to play your games regardless of who is playing your shared games.

You can always play your games, but only one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Comment

• Garrett67
              Glory Hole Monitor
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JBauerisGod
              I disagree. it says that you will ALWAYS be able to play your games regardless of who is playing your shared games.

Although being able to play your game while someone else is 'borrowing' it is ideal, it really shouldn't be that way.

I agree with JBauer on this. Of course I'd rather be it be an open lending option, but from a developer point of view, they would lose a ton of money.

Am I wrong?

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                ...is amazing.
                • Feb 2009

Oh shit I didn't see that. So I'll revise mine to say that you will always be allowed to play your game, but only one other family member can play at the same time. Maybe you still have to choose which person to share with?

Comment

• PP
                  • Feb 2010

Why doesn't MS come out and state exactly what the deal is? Oh yeah because they are afraid of the backlash.

Comment

• Garrett67
                    Glory Hole Monitor
                    • Feb 2009

Okay, I just read that article, sorry didn't realize what you quoted was from Twiggs link . I can kinda see that working but I can also see someone getting money out of this, like a subscription service or something.

I mean, you could give your game disk to someone before but only one person could play it. So , there has to be a limit or some catch somewhere. I could theoretically let jms buy ALL of the games and I just
                    play his, right?

Perhaps I 'm still groggy from my nap but I think I'm understand this correctly.

Comment

• jms493
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by PP
                      Why doesn't MS come out and state exactly what the deal is? Oh yeah because they are afraid of the backlash.
                      This idea sounds so potentially awesome that it is worrisome why MS would not demo it at E3. My thoughts are that the whole procedure is not fleshed out yet...details are not finalized. THats why we are getting drips and drabs of information.

Comment

• jms493
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Garrett67
                        Okay, I just read that article, sorry didn't realize what you quoted was from Twiggs link . I can kinda see that working but I can also see someone getting money out of this, like a subscription service or something.

I mean, you could give your game disk to someone before but only one person could play it. So , there has to be a limit or some catch somewhere. I could theoretically let jms buy ALL of the games and I just
                        play his, right?

Perhaps I 'm still groggy from my nap but I think I'm understand this correctly.
                        Yes Garret I do believe that if, and that is a big IF, I allow you in my "FAMILY" you will have access to all my games that I have purchased and installed on the xbox. Now the limitation as of now reads that only 1 person at a time. Therefore if my brother is playing "X" game from my library and you try and access "Y" game, you will be shut out. Therefore you might just wait or say fuck it and buy the game yourself.

It sounds like a lot of possibilities to fuck up...but we will find out. I dont think tons of business will be lost.

Comment

• Houston
                          Back home
                          • Oct 2008

I have a friend at work who basically only plays Fifa but never online because he doesn't have a connection(hard to believe, I know). But pretend he does have one.....

Let's say I add him on my family plan. When Fifa 14 comes out we can split the price paying 30 each and regardless of who keeps the physical disc, we'll both be able to play the game at the same time no matter what. Since we're the only ones in the plan to care about the game we don't have to worry about sharing time with others.

This is the perk of the family plan. Only thing is that we have no idea how much it's gonna cost, or how many extra restrictions they're gonna add over time. Like for instance when they first announced it they didn't say that there was a limit on how many people in your family plan can play at once.

Comment

• jms493
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Houston
                            I have a friend at work who basically only plays Fifa but never online because he doesn't have a connection(hard to believe, I know). But pretend he does have one.....

Let's say I add him on my family plan. When Fifa 14 comes out we can split the price paying 30 each and regardless of who keeps the physical disc, we'll both be able to play the game at the same time no matter what. Since we're the only ones in the plan to care about the game we don't have to worry about sharing time with others.

This is the perk of the family plan. Only thing is that we have no idea how much it's gonna cost.
                            There is no "Family" plan...only 1 paid subscription offered, xbox live gold with 10 "family" members. They never said anything about charging more for this service...

Comment

• Houston
                              Back home
                              • Oct 2008

They never said anything about charging more for this service...

But did they say anything about not charging more?

Comment

• Garrett67
                                Glory Hole Monitor
                                • Feb 2009

Yes Garret I do believe that if, and that is a big IF, I allow you in my "FAMILY" you will have access to all my games that I have purchased and installed on the xbox. Now the limitation as of now reads that only 1 person at a time. Therefore if my brother is playing "X" game from my library and you try and access "Y" game, you will be shut out. Therefore you might just wait or say fuck it and buy the game yourself.

It sounds like a lot of possibilities to fuck up...but we will find out. I dont think tons of business will be lost.

I love you, just sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...