X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

[PC] FTL: Faster Than Light

Anyone get this game? Just 10$ on steam.

Subset Games is a game developer and creator of the games FTL: Faster Than Light and Into the Breach

It's pretty cool, lots of fun. Only thing I dislike is how hard it is. You can make your way through, build up a pretty good ship...then run into some mother fucker who easily annihilates you and it's GG.

I'm determined to beat it though, and you get a variety of ships to use so there's some decent re playability with it, along with randomly generated maps.
  • padman59
    Slayer of Demons
    • Mar 2009

It's awesome. I've yet to beat the final boss, but I've worked out a strategy that I think could work.

Comment

• killgod
      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
      • Oct 2008

I've tried about 10 times, yet to even reach the boss.

Got a good game going tho, hopefully can make it happen tonight.

Comment

• Nevermind
        Pewter
        • Oct 2008

I have only ever watched it be played. I so far have only been able to pick up on how some stuff works but the game still seems a bit complicated. Is it easy to jump into and learn how to navigate through once the game is in front of you or is there a steep learning curve?

Comment

• jms493
          • Feb 2009

I have heard from various podcasts that you a good deal of luck to beat that final boss. It differs each time and sometimes it is a easier. Most people that have played it said they will never beat the final boss but still love playing it.

Comment

• padman59
            Slayer of Demons
            • Mar 2009

The randomness certainly makes it difficult to an extent. There have been times where I desperately needed a store to repair and refuel but simply could not find one in time, and if you do find a store, you have to hope it has the upgrades that you need.

As for the learning curve, the basic combat is easy to pick up IMO. You can always pause the game during a fight and plan your next move if things start getting hectic.

Comment

• killgod
              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
              • Oct 2008

I don't find the game hard to play at all, very simple to learn.

Comment

• jms493
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                I don't find the game hard to play at all, very simple to learn.
                like poker...simple to learn, hard to master. The mark of a good game. Similar to a game like League of Legends.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

I love this. I posted about it a few times in the Random Thoughts thread. I beat it recently (last week I think?) on Easy. It required a basically perfect ship (huge crew to stave off boarders, cloaking -- an absolute must, and 2 burst mk II cannons), and even then both the first and second "forms" of the Flagship were tough (I had a harder time with the first, most people say the second is the more ridiculous one). I did all of it with Kestrel, although with that particular ship I found it was much more bang or bust (I either went far or died early). The Engi ship which I think you unlock for getting to the fifth sector, is consistently a lot better, but its lack of firepower can make the later stuff brutal if you don't upgrade your weapons.

Glad to see even more people are picking it up. A shame we didn't have this thread up the weekend before last or so. It was half off (not that 10 bucks is anything).

I also bought the soundtrack, which is fantastic.

Comment

• Nevermind
                    Pewter
                    • Oct 2008

I bought the game and love it. Managed to get to the Flagship a few times on easy but wasn't able to take it out. I do have a few questions though. How do you unlock the other ships? Beating the game? Also after phase 1 of the flagship is there anyway to repair my hull because all the repair stations seem to be gone after i get out of the fight.

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Nevermind
                      I bought the game and love it. Managed to get to the Flagship a few times on easy but wasn't able to take it out. I do have a few questions though. How do you unlock the other ships? Beating the game? Also after phase 1 of the flagship is there anyway to repair my hull because all the repair stations seem to be gone after i get out of the fight.
                      Thank you for resurrecting this Nevermind! I am glad to answer all of your questions:

1) it depends on the ship. You can unlock the Engi (as you have) by getting to the 5th sector (I think). You unlock another model if you beat the flagship. Other than that, it's all random encounter quests (there are a ton of a ships, but in almost 30 hours I haven't even encountered the quest that leads you to the ship you would get for finishing it). I'm pretty sure you get basically each race's ship, just through their different quests. That being said though, you unlock 2 of the 3 achievements listed on the left for each ship, and you unlock a second build for that ship. These are wildly different. For example, the Kestral B (it's called the Red something, it looks like a Rebel ship), comes with 4 laser cannons. The Engi one has just one crew member but is stacked otherwise. That sort of stuff.

2) as far as after phase 1, yes, you can go back to repair places (as identified) or to stores and rebuild. You don't have to go directly after the flagship. But you can't wait too long either. It's a really tough, way too luck based part of the game. I once would have probably won it with my build, but just didn't have access to repairs because of where I was on the map. And you WILL need repairs regardless of how you're constructed. The Flagship is just too overpowered (most recently I learned by boarding the enemy that even if you kill the entire crew, they still not only keep firing on you, but they AUTO REPAIR. Fucked up).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want to add me on Steam too, it's SethMode.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
                        Not a Scandanavian
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Nevermind
                        You will stumble into stores as you go along. You repair your ships there.

I made the final boss on my 3rd run through, got crushed, haven't made it back since. You have to run the complicated balance between fighting enough to collect the scrap you need to build up a good ship, without hitting a bad patch that destroys your ship (solar flares being the worst). It's not that hard to rip through the sectors as fast as possible; but you end up completely out-classed pretty quickly.

Comment

• SethMode
                          Master of Mysticism
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sven Draconian
                          You will stumble into stores as you go along. You repair your ships there.

I made the final boss on my 3rd run through, got crushed, haven't made it back since. You have to run the complicated balance between fighting enough to collect the scrap you need to build up a good ship, without hitting a bad patch that destroys your ship (solar flares being the worst). It's not that hard to rip through the sectors as fast as possible; but you end up completely out-classed pretty quickly.
                          I really think that you NEED to have a cloaking device to beat the Flagship. Particularly phase 2 after tonight. Phase 2 I thought was nuts with the cloaking, without it you're just in this constant stream of being buttfucked by drones (a ton) while being boarded by drones that pierce your hull and just start wrecking your shit from the inside.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
                            Not a Scandanavian
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                            I really think that you NEED to have a cloaking device to beat the Flagship. Particularly phase 2 after tonight. Phase 2 I thought was nuts with the cloaking, without it you're just in this constant stream of being buttfucked by drones (a ton) while being boarded by drones that pierce your hull and just start wrecking your shit from the inside.
                            I would guess that having the augementation that gives you weapons immediately available, cloaking and maybe an Ion cannon/bomb would be the combo. Lets you get the first shot, you can cloak. Ion bomb their weapons and go invisible again before they ever get a shot off.

Not that I have ever managed to put that ship together....

Comment

• SethMode
                              Master of Mysticism
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sven Draconian
                              I would guess that having the augementation that gives you weapons immediately available, cloaking and maybe an Ion cannon/bomb would be the combo. Lets you get the first shot, you can cloak. Ion bomb their weapons and go invisible again before they ever get a shot off.

Not that I have ever managed to put that ship together....
                              That sounds about like the perfect build up. But still, if you can get cloak, you have a chance, period. It's the best item in the game.

Comment

Working...