H-Hour: World's Elite (Socom 1/2 " Spiritual Successor")

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuietStorm
    11/15/13
    • Feb 2009

I love Socom, but I hope they don't expect us to pay full price. The animation, gun sound and graphics are terrible for this to be next gen.
    Twitch Channel

Comment

• KNUBB
      WHITE RONDO
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by QuietStorm
      I love Socom, but I hope they don't expect us to pay full price. The animation, gun sound and graphics are terrible for this to be next gen.
      Son looking at Pre-Alpha/Alpha footage and neglecting the fact that the game is still a long way away from being done

Comment

• BigBucs
        Unpretentious
        • May 2009

Gun sounds are nearly identical to old Socoms which is a good thing IMO. Socom also has never knocked it out the park with graphics, the game was never about that. The "gritty" look of things is what made the game what it was, I cant wait for this shit.

Comment

• JBauerisGod
          ...is amazing.
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by QuietStorm
          I'm fully expecting this to be a $30-$40 downloadable title. One thing about the graphics: the game is currently using Unreal Engine 3, but one of the first tasks SOF Studios is going to do after securing investors is to upgrade the engine to Unreal Engine 4. That should help pretty up the game somewhat.

It should be noted that the demo you see there was made with only $200-300k, with a team of around 5 or 6 people.

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
            Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
            • Jul 2010

3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• BigBucs
              Unpretentious
              • May 2009

Hip Hop Gamer dude asks decent questions but he is so annoying. Can't really watch his videos.

Comment

• KNUBB
                WHITE RONDO
                • Jun 2009

2 weeks until Early Access on PC

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                  ...is amazing.
                  • Feb 2009

Beta starts tomorrow. I'll probably be streaming it.

Comment

• BigBucs
                    Unpretentious
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by JBauerisGod

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                      Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                      • Jul 2010

3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• KNUBB
                        WHITE RONDO
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by JBauerisGod

Comment

• DDRGuido
                          gx
                          • Feb 2009

Any word on when it will be released on console?

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                            ...is amazing.
                            • Feb 2009

A lot of shit has gone down in the last six months that leads me to doubt that the game will ever come to consoles. For those that don't know, David Sears left the project last summer, most likely due to a lack of funding. The game never received funding and it has taken a $75k loan to get them to this point. Essentially, the studio is relying on Early Access to be a huge success to fund a console version.

The CEO of the studio has done some shady shit with the community the last few months. A log of people think Early Access is just a last second cash grab before they completely abandon the project. I'm not that cynical, but I don't have faith that the studio will deliver on all of its promises.

As for the game itself, a video was released last week that looks promising. It definitely looks like SOCOM. The problem is that the game is only releasing with two maps that only allow team deathmatch. I just don't think there's enough content to make the game have any sort of staying power.

We'll see I guess.

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                              ...is amazing.
                              • Feb 2009

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Streaming now. Feel free to pop in and ask some questions

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                                ...is amazing.
                                • Feb 2009

My thoughts after about 5 hours played in the beta so far:
                                1. This "beta" is more like a pre-alpha right now. Just want to make sure that everyone is aware of that fact. This is a beta to an Early Access release that will be very bare bones.
                                2. The game definitely has potential. They nailed the SOCOM II speed perfectly. Strafing feels good again.
                                3. With that said, the shooting needs A LOT of work. It reminds me a lot of SOCOM 3 with how bad the guns spray. You can't have a real gun battle more than 20 yards away. Most of the battles are just spray and pray, and it's frustrating because you'll seemingly get killed in one shot from a random ass headshot.
                                4. The gun spray problem could be due to the fact that you get killed really easily. Like two or three shots most of the time. If the guns were any more accurate, gun battles would only last 2 or 3 seconds. They need to increase the gun accuracy and increase the number of shots it takes to kill someone. In SOCOM II, it only took three or four shots to kill you, but the game also had terrible hit detection which made it more like six shots.
                                5. Content wise, this game just needs more of it. I know it's Early Access but two maps with team deathmatch won't hold people's attention for long. The maps themselves, SISMIS and Wolf Run, are alright. SISMIS is particularly good in team deathmatch, but I think it would be even better in demolition. Wolf Run is pretty terrible in team deathmatch, but I think it could be a good extraction map.
                                6. Overall, the game is fun, but bland... if that makes sense. It feels like SOCOM, but it is missing a ton of key SOCOM features (no voice chat right now, no fall damage, no game modes besides team deathmatch, no true lobby system).

Ultimately, it's up to you guys if you buy this in Early Access, but just know that there isn't a whole lot in the game right now. It's a framework that can definitely be built upon, but that's about it. It'll probably be another two or three months before the game really starts to get filled out. I think they first need to fix the gun play, because right now it's just frustrating. Then they need to add another game mode to spice it up. The sad thing is, they've seemingly regressed in the last year. This video is from the POC build in UE3:

That looks more polished than where we're at now, and it had another game mode (extraction). But whatever, as long as they keep adding content to this, I think we'll be fine.

With that said, who knows if the studio will even be here in 3 months. Money is tight, and they are banking on big success in Early Access. At best, just from reading the private forums on their site, I think it's going to get mixed reviews on Steam. That doesn't bode well for a successful Early Access.

Comment

Working...