Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

This season is shaping up to be epic...Deadwood Season 1. Dexter Season 4. Heroes Season 1. 24 Season 1. Lost Season 1. The Wire Season 4.

Ya know, that kind of epic. Elite of the elite.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
      • Feb 2009

Never read the books...love middle earthy shit. Just cancelled HBO.

Is this show worth watching ? downloading ? Paying ?
      Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• SethMode
        Master of Mysticism
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL

My girlfriend really liked it....on her second viewing of the first episode after I gave her a brief rundown of who was who. It's like the Wire in the sense that it's almost impossible to keep track of all of the characters, who they are and how they relate (both family and otherwise) to each other, in just one, one hour episode.

As someone who is midway through the 2nd book right now, I can say that I fucking LOVED it, and if what I've heard (and what Larry stated) is true about the first episode being the worst of the season, well then, I'd buy HBO just for this show.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL

Given the budget and the source material, it should end up being one of the best fantasy-based TV series ever done. Just baesd on the first episode, absolutely worth downloading but probably worth paying to see it in proper HD.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

The books don't really get good until they get to King's Landing...which, it looks like, we're going in the next episode...so, business looks like its about to pick up.

With that said, the first episode was epic. That first scene really just grabs you by the balls. Then, they introduce characters (which is always kind of boring), and then give you the nuts of the Lannister/Stark rivalry going forward as the cliff hanger.

Comment

• SethMode
              Master of Mysticism
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              The books don't really get good until they get to King's Landing...which, it looks like, we're going in the next episode...so, business looks like its about to pick up.

With that said, the first episode was epic. That first scene really just grabs you by the balls. Then, they introduce characters (which is always kind of boring), and then give you the nuts of the Lannister/Stark rivalry going forward as the cliff hanger.
              I was amazed at how fast the first episode moved, all things considered. Definitely liked it, as not everything that works on the page works on the screen. Great choice of ending for the first episode.

One thing that I think is going to be curious as far as the direction of the show is how Martin has no qualms with murdering just about anyone in the books, despite how major of a character they might be. It's not often something you see in TV shows, so I hope they stick to the source and don't pull something where they rewrite the story because they don't want a fan favorite to die.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                • Feb 2009

Things definitely don't always translate, Seth. A narrative arc that works in written form may simply not translate to the visual medium. So far I think they've done an admirable job of giving enough info about the main characters and at least a bit of information on the main story arcs.

Going forward, I woudl be surprised if they shy away from some of the "holy shit" moments that the books provide. They've already given us one and many of the others are completely key to the overall story arc of the books.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
                  Things definitely don't always translate, Seth. A narrative arc that works in written form may simply not translate to the visual medium. So far I think they've done an admirable job of giving enough info about the main characters and at least a bit of information on the main story arcs.

Going forward, I woudl be surprised if they shy away from some of the "holy shit" moments that the books provide. They've already given us one and many of the others are completely key to the overall story arc of the books.
                  Spoilers just in case, don't read if you haven't at least finished book 1:

From watching all of the first look shit, I would agree with you that they won't shy away. It's just, I'm almost crushed AGAIN knowing that I'll have to suffer the death of Ned visually with such a FANTASTIC Ned Stark in the form of Sean Bean. And I guess that that got me thinking that perhaps they might be a little gun shy at times, depending on how liked a character might become (I don't consider paralyzing Bran in the first episode to really be on the level that Ned's death will be, obviously).

As I said, I'm in book 2 right now, and I'm sure there are even more deaths to come...perhaps this is all silly on my part, and just a product of me wishing Ned were still alive and not wanting to relive that

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                    • Feb 2009

It gets worse, Seth. Won't say more.

But I do know where you're coming from with Ned. Bean is a helluva actor and seems to carry the role quite well. Well enough to carry the show, even if he isn't the absolute central focus. Once they hit the point where he's gone, will the lesser-known actors in those other roles be able to carry the series as well? Lena Headley, yes, but what about the ones player Jamie, The Imp, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, Sana and Arrya, etc. I obviously hope so, but I think that could be the real weak point of the series potentially.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                      I was amazed at how fast the first episode moved, all things considered. Definitely liked it, as not everything that works on the page works on the screen. Great choice of ending for the first episode.

One thing that I think is going to be curious as far as the direction of the show is how Martin has no qualms with murdering just about anyone in the books, despite how major of a character they might be. It's not often something you see in TV shows, so I hope they stick to the source and don't pull something where they rewrite the story because they don't want a fan favorite to die.
                      With Martin producing, and these directors seemingly in love with the story, I think they'll stick with it.

The final ep, I presume, to be amazing.

Comment

• St. Francisco
                        45-35 Never Forget
                        • Feb 2009

No way they'll change any of the major story arcs like Ned's death, just to keep a fan favorite. His death fuels damn near the entire plot going forward.

Comment

• CCBrink
                          Awkward Swag
                          • May 2009

Renewed for season 2.

Comment

• SethMode
                            Master of Mysticism
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by St. Francisco

No way they'll change any of the major story arcs like Ned's death, just to keep a fan favorite. His death fuels damn near the entire plot going forward.
                            It's like I said, in this case, I doubt that they would. But shows based on books have done it before, that's all I'm saying. I hope that this one remains every bit as dedicated as it seems that it will.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                              Posts too much
                              • Feb 2009

Seriously if you haven't read the books, do not read any spoiler. I know some people click anyways but trust me, don't click.

When Ned died I was so shocked that I didn't believe it. I legitimately thought he was going to come back and they'd say it was someone standing in for him but it never happened. They'll definitely show it in the show because it is the climax of the book and sets in motion a ton of other events.

Comment

• Houston
                                Back home
                                • Oct 2008

Loving the amount of whores and tits in this.

Comment

Working...