X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leaffan
    Colton Orr Fan
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dave
    I think most people tend to favour the era of music when they were in their teens and early 20s.
    For me then thats late 90s to early 00's.

Britney spears first album came out when I was in grade 9. I wanted to shoot myself during the time period.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• leaffan
      Colton Orr Fan
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dave
      I think most people tend to favour the era of music when they were in their teens and early 20s.

Britney spears first album came out when I was in grade 9. I wanted to shoot myself during the time period.

Most of my fav. music has came out of the late 70s/80s with a mix of newer stuff.

Top 40 shit has been awful for quite a few decades imo.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by leaffan

Most of my fav. music has came out of the late 70s/80s with a mix of newer stuff.

Top 40 shit has been awful for quite a few decades imo.
        Late 90s were atrocious.
        That never went away. It leaked pretty deeply into the 00s as artists started being cookie cut from the late 90s mold.

Listening to oldies stations is always a breathe of fresh air. So many songs I never heard of from the 60s-70s of various genres that absolutely made my playlist first time I heard them.
        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
          My Aunt Ida Smokes.
          • Mar 2009

All of you guys bitching about this past decade just didn't try hard enough, that much is cut and dry. I know tons of people who don't care that much about music, so it's not a big deal. But they also don't bemoan the lack of good music these days.

There are tons of great bands that formed or blossomed this past decade, but you stayed glued to FM radio.

Stop getting your music from Rick Dees or KIIS FM.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
            I am not Abe Kabbible
            • Feb 2009

I'll join the chorus with; there is good music out there, probably more than ever before, but you have to look hard for it.

The days of great artists also being huge superstars is gone and will never return. There is not the infrastructure, demand, patience or money for that to happen any more.

There is no way to get to stadium-filling level without the support of a major record label or one of these big, all-encompassing package deals with someone like LiveNation and these companies are no longer interested in investing time or money in nurturing art. They just want a quick return on their investment which usually means just slapping a pair of tits or a six-pack on it and slopping it into the trough.

You can't find good music just from listening to the radio and you definitely won't find it by watching TV. It's not served up like it used to be, there's no "Ok, you don't like The Bee Gees? Here, try The Clash instead." Now it's more "You don't like the Black Eyed Peas? Well you should, everybody else does, look how many downloads they've sold".

To find good music now you have to do it yourself. You have to go to clubs to see bands; speak to bands you like or their fans to find out what else is out there; use the recommendations on things like Last.fm - ok, it's not perfect but it's a start.

Trying out new music is easier now than ever. Back when I started exploring music properly I'd have to take a risk and pay £10 for an album that I'd never heard before if I wanted to try something completely new. Now, even the smallest bands have got examples of their work all over the internet. You can try setting little targets like listening to 10 new acts a week, that's over 500 artists a year. Most of them you won't like but even if you only like 5% of them that 25 new bands a year.

2000s bad for music? Well I found Nina Nastasia, Mclusky/FOTL, PW Long, The Owl Service, Chrome Hoof, Gindrinker, Carla Bozulich, Pantaleimon, Les Savy Fav, Erase Errata, William Whitmore, Jarcrew/Truckers of Husk, Lullabye Arkestra, The Pipettes, Christopher Rees and El May among many others.

I enjoyed the decade.

The charts were shit though.
            Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• FirstTimer
              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Houston
              lol at either one sucking. Yes if you're thinking about the radio and Soulja Boy then the '00s sucked. There's a ton of good music from last decade but unlike past decades you had to go seach and find it yourself which to me is the beauty of it. Probably my favorite album of the decade was one I found on my own while just going through random artist.
              I feel sorry if you've only managed to walk out with 2 or 3 CD's from the 00's.

I think the 90's were better then the 80's, I don't even think it's close.

Originally posted by Pitty
              You haven't listened to much music in the past decade then.
              Outside of asshats using auto-tuning and stupid as voice shit so any asshole can feel like they can "sing" what "experimentation" has there been?

Comment

• jeffx
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Houston
                Alicia Keys-FAllin

a newer version of James Brown's "It's a Man's World"

Comment

• leaffan
                  Colton Orr Fan
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BrntO4Life
                  All of you guys bitching about this past decade just didn't try hard enough, that much is cut and dry. I know tons of people who don't care that much about music, so it's not a big deal. But they also don't bemoan the lack of good music these days.
                  There are tons of great bands that formed or blossomed this past decade, but you stayed glued to FM radio.

Stop getting your music from Rick Dees or KIIS FM.
                  I'm stating the opposite. Sure there was good music but the over abundance of terrible music is just so much. I found plenty of new artists. One could argue if anything its so much easier to find the stuff you like. What gets me is the over commercialized shit these days.

It doesn't help when shit like the black eyed peas is constantly pushed down our throats. If cbs reminds me one more time that they are playing during the superbowl I might ban that channel.

Comment

• bucky
                    #50? WTF?
                    • Feb 2009

Easily.....the disco era is absolutely the WORST.

There was no other time in my life that I was tempted to get drunk, do drugs or commit suicide just so I wouldn't have to listen to that crap.

As far as today. Real music died when artists stopped actually singing. Things are WAY overproduced to cover up for lack of talent.

The 60's are easily the best.

Comment

• Deviant
                      Yes, please.
                      • Nov 2008

Neither decade is really horrible. We're just currently living through the decade and hear occasional great song lost in a pile of mediocre/terrible songs. Every decade has it.

What's happening here is that we're comparing the 2000's, which we're still kinda' listening to, to the highlights and great songs of a decade past, which is unfair. But just like the 90's, this decade most definitely had some great music in it and others that are forgettable.

Let's start with the 2000's. Anyone remember this song?

Yeah, that was a huge hit in 2006. Pretty positive it either charted at #1 or came pretty damn close to for quite a while. Haven't heard it in ages and I pretty much forgot that it was even a song.

Now, remember this song?

Made in 2005. Still gets played to this girl. Everyone loves this song and enjoys it. If there was a CD to highlight this decade, this song is most definitely on here.

Someone will eventually bring up that this decade had Justin Beiber. Yeah, well the 90's gave us this:

Yeah, the 00's have Ke$ha, but the 90's let MC Hammer have a career. Someone should have woke him up from his dream when "2 Legit 2 Quit" was a hit.

I can go on, but it'll get tedious.

I don't really have a preference to either decade though. Each decade has brought artists that I love.

The 90's gave us Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the best of Depeche Mode, U2, Radiohead, Jay-Z, Biggie, Tupac, Destiny's Child, Aaliyah, Missy Elliott, Usher, TLC, Dr. Dre, NWA, LL Cool J, Weezer, Jamiroquai, Will Smith, Cyprus Hill, Public Enemy, No Doubt, Lenny Kravitz was fun for a while and I can go on all day.

The 00's gave us Muse, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Silversun Pickups, Tool, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, more Jay-Z, Linkin' Park (as easy as they are to make fun of), Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Daft Punk, Outkast, more Usher, Eminem, 50 Cent, Ludacris, Gorillaz, Justin Timberlake, Timberland and much more.

And I'm only listing the mainstream artists of each decade. I think we spend way too much time generalizing decades and looking to the past as what is "great" rather than appreciating what's right in front of us. Music needs to evolve anyway. As much as I love classical rock, I think it's great that we've found a way to advance rock music as well.

However, I will say this about this decade. The one major difference between this decade and any other is that it has become A LOT easier to DIY with the technology and programs we have. With the internet, it's very easy to get exposure because information moves very fast. Now, almost anyone can create a song and make a hit out of it. Case and point:

Seriously, fuck this song. The report was funny enough, it didn't need a song. Goddamn Auto-Tune the News.

The other thing is that CDs are practically extinct. Most artists just kinda' focus on singles rather than albums. So, the easiest way to make singles and money is just to sound like everyone else. So, we kinda' get lost in a monotony of auto-tune and electronics, much like what synth did to the late 80's.

Also, it's really not that difficult to find quality music. It's not in any particular genre, you just need to listen to it rather than focus so much on the shit.

Back at it, yet again. Sign up here!

Comment

• Senser81
                        VSN Poster of the Year
                        • Feb 2009

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0wnd8B6O_I[/ame]

Comment

• Maynard
                          stupid ass titles
                          • Feb 2009

i heard a commercial for a country concert of some kind. They played a song that went...."if i had a boat i would ride in a boat"

that pretty much somes up the 2000's for music

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                            I am not Abe Kabbible
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                            That's more like it.

Rock on Chicago!
                            Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• FirstTimer
                              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Deviant
                              The 00's gave us Muse, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Silversun Pickups, Tool, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, more Jay-Z, Linkin' Park (as easy as they are to make fun of), Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Daft Punk, Outkast, more Usher, Eminem, 50 Cent, Ludacris, Gorillaz, Justin Timberlake, Timberland and much more.

Everyone not bolded could go away in the 2000's and I wouldn't miss them.

Comment

• jeffx
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by bucky
                                Easily.....the disco era is absolutely the WORST.

There was no other time in my life that I was tempted to get drunk, do drugs or commit suicide just so I wouldn't have to listen to that crap.

As far as today. Real music died when artists stopped actually singing. Things are WAY overproduced to cover up for lack of talent.

The 60's are easily the best.

Except for bucky's anti-disco era rant, I agree. Not just singing, but song-writing and musicianship too. One thing I really miss are the soul/funk big bands(EW&F, Ohio Players, Bar-Kays, Brass Construction, Average White Band, P-Funk, etc.).

...and enough with the auto-tune shit!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJI0wgxlSnI[/ame]

Comment

Working...