The Newsroom (Aaron Sorkins new HBO show)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigHouseUSA
    Late to the party.
    • Jun 2009

It definitely had it's preachy moments. Sorkin seems to be obsessed with the forties and fifties, like the US was actually a better place then. I can look beyond that though, I don't see every episode being as entertaining as that, but it was a good start.
    Originally posted by mgoblue2290
    If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

I don't think I can get into a show where the big moment each week is a news story or, from what the preview showed, them not being able to get a source on the show being the pivotal moment. Seems a bit slow.
      There are few places on planet earth more boring and devoid of excitement than a TV newsroom. I'm amazed they are trying to dramatize news production. It's pretty monotonous in real life. I can't think of many more boring premises, but that's probably because it just hits too close to home for me.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
        Late to the party.
        • Jun 2009

I'm not entirely amazed, mainly because journalists are the only people that think incredibly highly of their profession. Most people in the media seem to think everyone should be reading Romenesko and enjoying it, no one gives a shit though.

Comment

• Houston
          Back home
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          So...before I click 'play' or 'delete' on my DVR, is this Sorkin liberal propaganda disguised as entertainment?
          Click "delete".

Comment

• Cornelius
            3rd place is you're fired
            • Oct 2010

So...before I click 'play' or 'delete' on my DVR, is this Sorkin liberal propaganda disguised as entertainment?
            For you or everyone else? For you, definitely yes.

Comment

• SethMode
              Master of Mysticism
              • Feb 2009

His rant at the beginning is bound to make some "America! Fuck yeah!" people roll their eyes and give a mental middle finger to Sorkin, but overall I thought the pilot was pretty down the middle. I can see how it likely won't be in the future.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                His rant at the beginning is bound to make some "America! Fuck yeah!" people roll their eyes and give a mental middle finger to Sorkin, but overall I thought the pilot was pretty down the middle. I can see how it likely won't be in the future.
                I think it will draw an equal amount of eye rolls from the non-America! Fuck Yeah! crowd for being kind of contrived and cliche.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                  I think it will draw an equal amount of eye rolls from the non-America! Fuck Yeah! crowd for being kind of contrived and cliche.
                  Sorkin walks that line regardless. I personally don't mind it, and find it good escapist TV. But as far as what W2B is concerned about, I'd say the first episode doesn't try too hard to shoe horn a political opinion into it.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                    Probably owns the site
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                    Sorkin walks that line regardless. I personally don't mind it, and find it good escapist TV. But as far as what W2B is concerned about, I'd say the first episode doesn't try too hard to shoe horn a political opinion into it.
                    He definitely walks that line. A lot of writers do, obviously, but nobody talks like that in real life. Sometimes it works for that reason, and other times it just seems phony.

Full disclosure here, haven't actually watched that scene within the context of the first episode yet. About to watch it now...

Comment

• BigBucs
                      Unpretentious
                      • May 2009

I loved the pilot and have the series recording set on the DVR.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

Yeah, this is bad. Just feels beneath HBO.

Feels like a weeknight CBS serial.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

I lasted 9 minutes.

The preachy, lame, cliched anti american rant, complete with sappy piano backdrop, was all I had to see.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                            Probably owns the site
                            • Feb 2009

I lasted 9 minutes.

The preachy, lame, cliched anti american rant, complete with sappy piano backdrop, was all I had to see.
                            Too bad then. You missed the hilarious outburst from Sam Waterston (I know) when he gets in a dudes face to break up a fight. That part is comedic gold.

Comment

• RyanLeaf16
                              #DoSomething
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                              Too bad then. You missed the hilarious outburst from Sam Waterston (I know) when he gets in a dudes face to break up a fight. That part is comedic gold.
                              I found that part silly and un-funny. An alcoholic would never have that much energy. I am with W2BTD on this one...I stopped it after the discussion between Jeff Daniels and his new EP dragged on for waaaay too long. It had nothing to do with any sort of liberal agenda (which it did reek of), I just got bored with the shit. It's like they were trying to shove the character arc down our throats in the first 20-30 minutes.
                              Maddon & Friedman: Pissing off the AL East since 2008

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                                Late to the party.
                                • Jun 2009

Tbf, the liberal "agenda" was tamed down a lot in this pilot compared to Sorkin's other work. Is it even an agenda when it is so blatant? I'm willing to give it a few more episodes, jury is still out.

Comment

Working...