X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dell71
    Enter Sandman
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fox1994
    I saw that Monster Squad movie and I immediately thought of a movie my uncle suggested that I just downloaded - NightBreed. Have you seen it? Did you like it?
    Haven't seen it, yet.

Comment

• Buzzman
      • Oct 2008

I have to see that now.

Comment

• nflman2033
        George Brett of VSN
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by dell71
        Wow. I'm surprised you haven't at least heard of it before a couple years ago. We're talking something on a level of popularity only slightly lower than Goonies. Probably, the only thing that would've made it better is if it starred "The Coreys".
        yeah, well actually there was a quote from the movie i had heard back in the 80's, but no recollection of watching it, and certainly never knew of it being on the level of the Goonies.

Comment

• dell71
          Enter Sandman
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
          yeah, well actually there was a quote from the movie i had heard back in the 80's, but no recollection of watching it, and certainly never knew of it being on the level of the Goonies.
          Not quite, but definitely popular.

Comment

• Fox1994
            Posts too much
            • Dec 2008

Haven't seen it, yet.
            Me neither. Other movies I should have seen by now, have downloaded on my computer, but haven't watched:

True Romance
            Jackie Brown
            NightBreed
            Animal House
            A Scanner Darkly
            New Jack City
            Carlito's Way
            Blazing Saddles
            (I've seen most of it)
            The Big Lebowski
            The Jerk
            (again, seen most of it)
            The Usual Suspects

Prioritizing:
            The Big Lebowski
            The Usual Suspects
            Animal House
            Jackie Brown
            True Romance

Everything else...

I know, I should be ashamed of myself. On the other hand, I have plenty of great ones I have seen:

Airplane 1 & 2
            Anchorman
            Dr. Strangelove
            Family Guy's Blue Harvest
            Fight Club
            Goodfellas
            White Castle
            History of the World Part 1
            Kick Ass
            Holy Grail
            Life of Brian
            Office Space
            Pineapple Express
            Pulp Fiction
            Resevoir Dogs
            South Park Movie
            The Warriors
            The Way of the Gun
            The Departed
            Trading Places
            Waiting
            Watchmen
            Wayne's World 1 & 2
            Young Frankenstein

Need to get some time to watch those.

Comment

• dell71
              Enter Sandman
              • Mar 2009

Me neither. Other movies I should have seen by now, have downloaded on my computer, but haven't watched:

True Romance
              Jackie Brown
              NightBreed
              Animal House
              A Scanner Darkly
              New Jack City
              Carlito's Way
              Blazing Saddles
              (I've seen most of it)
              The Big Lebowski
              The Jerk
              (again, seen most of it)
              The Usual Suspects
              Pineapple Express

Haven't seen True Romance, yet (even though I own it - gotta dig it out of storage). Haven't seen NightBreed, either.

Of the others, definitely see most of them, they are great. However, I wouldn't call A Scanner Darkly great & I wouldn't even call Pineapple Express good (but everyone else seems to love it, so whatever.)

Prioritizing:
              The Big Lebowski
              The Usual Suspects
              Animal House
              Jackie Brown
              True Romance

Everything else...

A good starting point.

I know, I should be ashamed of myself. On the other hand, I have plenty of great ones I have seen:

Airplane 1 & 2
              Anchorman
              Dr. Strangelove
              Family Guy's Blue Harvest
              Fight Club
              Goodfellas
              White Castle
              History of the World Part 1
              Kick Ass
              Holy Grail
              Life of Brian
              Office Space
              Pulp Fiction
              Resevoir Dogs
              South Park Movie
              The Warriors
              The Way of the Gun
              The Departed
              Trading Places
              Waiting
              Watchmen
              Wayne's World 1 & 2
              Young Frankenstein

Not bad, wouldn't call them all great, but okay. Well, okay, except for...

Airplane 2...horrible...and I haven't watched the Family Guy movie.

Need to get some time to watch those.

Comment

• dell71
                Enter Sandman
                • Mar 2009

In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm in full-on Halloween mode. Mostly creature-features and other horror flicks this month...continuing with some really old school...

Frankenstein
                Directed by James Whale.
                1931. Not Rated, 70 minutes.
                Cast:
                Colin Clive
                Mae Clarke
                Boris Karloff
                John Boles
                Edward Von Sloan
                Frederick Kerr
                Dwight Frye
                Lionel Belmore
                Marilyn Harris

Dr. Henry Frankenstein (Clive) is hellbent on creating life. He doesn’t want to do it the old fashioned way. He wants to animate a deceased and fully grown human being, sort of. His “human being” is actually sewn together from parts he’s gathered from graveyards, the gallows and God knows where else. Hmmm, God. That’s it, he wants to be God.

Fearing he’s gone mad, his fiancée, Elizabeth (Clarke), enlists the help of a couple of Henry’s colleagues to perform a kind of intervention. They do manage to get him to at least take a break long enough to marry his gal, but they’re still too late. His experiment has already succeeded.

What follows is an iconic monster movie warning us of the dangers of pretending to be the Almighty. Boris Karloff, as the monster, turns in his signature performance without saying a word. It’s not at all scary, by today’s standards, but it’s still an intriguing and eventually sad story.

The film’s biggest drawback is actually no fault of its own. It is simply too familiar to us. The story has been with us far too long. It’s been remade and parodied so often, it’s difficult to judge on its own merit without comparing it to whatever version you’ve already seen. Still, if you’re a horror buff and care even a little about its history, this is essential viewing.

MY SCORE: 8/10

Bride of Frankenstein
                Directed by James Whale.
                1935. Not Rated, 75 minutes.
                Cast:
                Boris Karloff
                Colin Clive
                Valerie Hobson
                Ernest Thesiger
                Elsa Lanchester
                Gavin Gordon
                Una O’Connor
                O. P. Heggie

As soon as Bride of Frankenstein starts, it brazenly lets us know it’s pulling a fast one on us. It shows us “Frankenstein” novel author Mary Shelley (Lanchester, who also plays the bride) and some of her inner-circle chit-chatting about, and essentially recapping the events of her legendary story. Just when they’re wrapping it up, she basically says to forget all about that wonderfully Shakespearean ending. They ain’t dead. Normally, this is an early warning sign that you’re about to watch a sequel that shouldn’t even exist and of a quality that suggests the same. Luckily, we get a sequel that actually outdoes the original.

Our new villain, the even more brilliant and crazier Dr. Pretorius (Thesiger) recruits Dr. Frankenstein (Clive), against his will, to help him in creating a companion for Frankenstein’s original monster. By the way, the monster (Karloff) roams the countryside terrorizing, and occasionally killing folks until he stumbles into a lonely blind man. This plays out much better than it sounds.

As mentioned, this film has a clear cut villain, Pretorius, and reluctant accomplice in Dr. Frankenstein. However, instead of an actual hero, we get a victim in Frankenstein’s monster. This works incredibly well as we’re properly set up for another doozy of an ending which finally includes the unveiling of the bride. Without having watched it, the knowledge that the title character doesn’t appear until very near the end of our tale seems like a terrible idea. When you do see it, you’ll realize it works perfectly.

MY SCORE: 10/10

Comment

• Fox1994
                  Posts too much
                  • Dec 2008

:doh: I've seen Pineapple Express. Why did I put that in the wrong list? I saw it when it first came out on DVD. Couldn't stop fucking laughing... I was even sober at the time.

---

Also, in Frankenstein the book, the doctor's name is Victor, not Henry. Henry's his brother. I haven't seen this movie, but I have seen Young Frankenstein, and that's the shit. Haha. (Totally different movies, I know.)

Comment

• dell71
                    Enter Sandman
                    • Mar 2009

:doh: I've seen Pineapple Express. Why did I put that in the wrong list? I saw it when it first came out on DVD. Couldn't stop fucking laughing... I was even sober at the time.

---

Also, in Frankenstein the book, the doctor's name is Victor, not Henry. Henry's his brother. I haven't seen this movie, but I have seen Young Frankenstein, and that's the shit. Haha. (Totally different movies, I know.)
                    Indeed, YF is awesome. I plan on having a review of that one up before the month is out.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Dell, you ever seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle? Really gritty crime drama from the 70s. Same director who did Bullitt, Peter Yates.

Comment

• dell71
                        Enter Sandman
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                        Dell, you ever seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle? Really gritty crime drama from the 70s. Same director who did Bullitt, Peter Yates.
                        Loved Bullitt, haven't seen Eddie Coyle.

Comment

• TeflonDonny
                          Deal....No Deal
                          • Mar 2009

The Monster Squad
                          Directed by Fred Dekker.
                          1987. Rated PG, 82 minutes.
                          Cast:
                          Andre Gower
                          Robby Kiger
                          Stephen Macht
                          Duncan Regehr
                          Tom Noonan
                          Ashley Bank
                          Leonardo Cimino
                          Lisa Fuller

Precisely every 100 years at midnight the amulet that controls the balance of power between good and evil becomes vulnerable enough to be destroyed, but only for a few moments. If it is, evil will have free reign. Count Dracula (Regehr) knows this and knows that the fateful day is coming up. He recruits Frankenstein’s monster, the Wolfman, the Mummy and the Creature from the Black Lagoon to help find and obliterate said amulet. A group of kids who are totally immersed in monster lore have discovered this and after dubbing themselves “The Monster Squad,” have set out to save the day.

This is a wonderful blend of pre/early teen comedy, the cheesiest elements of monster movies and, for some younger viewers, tension and possibly horror. Our bad guys are represented in their most classical forms, i.e. Dracula sports a black tux and flowing black cape with a silky red lining and the collar up, of course. This comes off as a nod to us that this is more of an elaborate Halloween prank than actually trying to add anything to vampire mythology. In other words, it puts its tongue firmly in its cheek and it works. We sit back and have fun with kids we either were (or are depending on your age) or wouldn’t normally have hung out with.

Let’s be honest, the squad is largely made up of geeks. As it so often turns out in real life, the geeks are right. Monsters are real. There’s also one set of parents on the verge of a divorce which adds some reality to the proceedings. Though things wrap up in a predictably corny manner, it’s still very enjoyable.

Most of us who grew up in the eighties have fond memories of TMS. Since it’s always been unabashed in its cheesiness, it’s held up surprisingly well. A warning to parents: though its rated PG, a number of four-letter words fly; decide accordingly. If you decide to let the kiddies indulge you’ll find it one of the better horror flicks aimed at young’uns. And yes, the Wolfman still has nards.

MY SCORE: 7.5/10
                          :2thumbs:
                          This was one of my favorite movies growing up. I'd been looking all over the place for it thinking it was called Monster Patrol.

Comment

• Buzzman
                            • Oct 2008

In Frankenstein, one of the most brilliant and terrifying scenes in the movie was when Frankenstein and the little girl were throwing flower petals in the water. I had nightmares as a child that I was that little kid. What makes it so great was Frankenstein had no intention of hurting her, but he didn't know any better.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
                              True Blue
                              • Feb 2009

haha fuck yeah little monsters

kick him in the nards!
                              wolfman dont got nards!
                              *kicks wolfman in the groin and he goes down in pain*
                              ...wolfman got nardssssss

Comment

• Fox1994
                                Posts too much
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Buzzman
                                In Frankenstein, one of the most brilliant and terrifying scenes in the movie was when Frankenstein and the little girl were throwing flower petals in the water. I had nightmares as a child that I was that little kid. What makes it so great was Frankenstein had no intention of hurting her, but he didn't know any better.

In the book, he was trying to save her from drowning, but her dad thought he was trying to drown her, so he proceeds to shoot him.

Comment

Working...