X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dell71
    Enter Sandman
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by dave
    Just a request from the peanut gallery - if you rent a movie Dell, you should give us your opinion of the DVD extras if possible.
    Honestly, even though better than 90% of the movies I watch these days are on DVD I usually don't watch the extras. I tend to do so more often for movies that rely heavily on special fx.

Comment

• Buzzman
      • Oct 2008

Finally someone didnt suck Takens dick. I thought the movie was decent but EVERYONE goes on about it being one of the best movies they ever seen, you thought it was the 2nd coming of Shawshank or something.

Comment

• dell71
        Enter Sandman
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
        Finally someone didnt suck Takens dick. I thought the movie was decent but EVERYONE goes on about it being one of the best movies they ever seen, you thought it was the 2nd coming of Shawshank or something.
        Thanx, lol...it's definitely not the 2nd coming of Shawshank.

Comment

• dell71
          Enter Sandman
          • Mar 2009

Hellboy
          2004. Rated PG-13, 132 minutes.
          Director: Guillermo Del Toro. Starring Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, John Hurt, Doug Jones.

Plot: After coming through a portal opened by the bad guys, Hellboy (Perlman) is adopted by the good guys and becomes the main guy on a team of paranormal heroes that fight paranormal villains. Sixty years have past and the original baddies are not only back, they're after Hellboy to help them destroy Earth.

The Good: One drawback to being the first movie in a comic book franchise is you have to back to the source's humble beginnings and provide virgins to the character an origin story. This movie dispenses with that bit of business in a thankfully quick and exciting manner. Once done with that, it spends the majority of it's time on action scenes of some sort. Occasionally, it pauses for "Red," as he's called by his friends, to deal with his love life and the increasingly strenuous relationship with his "father" (Hurt). Luckily, its effective at weaving those things in rather than dawdling on them for the most part.

The Bad: There are a few plotholes, which is to be expected, so they're there but not deal breakers. What nearly is a deal breaker is the idiocy of our main villain's (Rasputin played by Karel Roden) plan. It follows the well-worn and even more stupid movie logic of really bad guy wants to unleash a far more powerful and even worse being upon the world. It stands to reason there's not really anything to do after you destroy the world, now is there? Anyhoo, there is one other aspect that bugged me. It seems as if Wolverine of the X-Men simply had his personality and some other traits transplanted to a red body with a stone hand instead of claws, giving us Hellboy. It got to the point where everytime he spoke I couldn't help but think "that's exactly what Wolverine would say."

The Ugly: The very cool Karl Kroenen (Ladislav Beran) without a mask.

Recommendation: Comic book fans and fans of comic book movies should have at it. Its heavy on the action and has enough light humor to keep it moving at brisk pace. It is certainly not the best the genre has to offer but since its thoroughly "okay," its far from the worse.

The Opposite View: Maitland McDonagh, TV Guide

What the Internet Says: 6.8/10 on imdb.com (5/28/09), 80% on rottentomatoes.com, 72/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Hellboy II: The Golden Army
          2008. Rated PG-13, 110 minutes.
          Director: Guillermo Del Toro. Starring Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Doug Jones, Luke Goss.

Plot: Prince Nuada (Goss) is upset with the way the world has turned out in his absence. He seeks to unite all the pieces of a magical crown which will spring the dormant, yet "indestructible" Golden Army into action under his control so he can start running things. Hellboy (Perlman) and crew have something to say about this.

The Good: Director Del Toro builds upon his Pan's Labyrinth foundation by giving us more stunning visuals. It's creatures and other special fx are beautifully rendered. The action scenes that show off this aspect of the film are very nicely done. In fact, its a much better looking movie than it's predecessor. The love story between Hellboy and Liz (Blair) goes in an interesting direction. It also leaves the two characters with an obvious starting point for the third movie in the series, should they make one.

The Bad: In only the franchise's second movie, it already suffers from "more is less" syndrome. We get more great characters, both good and evil, better special fx and lots of action. However, its crammed into a package 20 minutes shorter than the original. That means its fun while its on but not nearly as gratifying as the original. It doesn't help that it simply reworks The Lord of the Rings to fit a superhero flick for its main premise and resorts to corny sight gags for the humor. Worse than that, our hero is going through an identity crisis. However, its not in that good, tortured mentality of Batman sort of way. Its in that bad, the writers don't seem like they know what to do with him way. One of my problems with the first movie was how Hellboy seemed so much like Wolverine. I would've preferred that to what he is here, an even more simpleminded goofball. He's also well on his way to becoming an alcoholic. That could be really interesting but they just played it for laugh. Hmmm...anything to get more kids in the theater, right?

The Ugly: The tooth fairies. Yeesh, nasty little critters.

Recommendation: Obviously, fans of the comic and/or the first film should check it out. Most people seem to like this one a bit more. I like it a bit less. No doubt, it is a fun popcorn flick that looks absolutely great. Of the five big superhero flicks of 2008, I'd rank this fourth, far behind The Dark Knight and Iron Man but sandwiched between The Incredible Hulk and Hancock.

The Opposite View: Michael Dance, The Cinema Source

What the Internet Says: 7.4/10 on imdb.com (5/28/09), 88% on rottentomatoes.com, 78/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 6/10
          Last edited by dell71; 05-28-2009, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Ralnakor
            • Apr 2009

Dell, I have a movie for you to check out that's so bad, it's flipping amazing!

Santa's Slay

You can't go wrong with a movie staring Bill Goldberg (yes, the WCW superstar) as an evil Santa who in the first five minutes of the film kills Fran Drescher and Chris Kattan. It's a great movie because it never takes itself seriously and does so in hilarious fashion.

Comment

• dell71
              Enter Sandman
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Ralnakor
              Dell, I have a movie for you to check out that's so bad, it's flipping amazing!

Santa's Slay

You can't go wrong with a movie staring Bill Goldberg (yes, the WCW superstar) as an evil Santa who in the first five minutes of the film kills Fran Drescher and Chris Kattan. It's a great movie because it never takes itself seriously and does so in hilarious fashion.
              Thanx. I've heard about it before, just never got around to watching it. It's going on my "to see" list.

Comment

• dell71
                Enter Sandman
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by DirtyDozen12
                You should do Death to Smoochy.

IMO its honestly one of the most underrated movies. Robin Williams is hilarious in a dark and disturbing way.
                One of these days...just never got around to watching it.

BTW, I've taken a few days off from watching movies to move (packing/unpacking for 5 is a bitch) - probably won't have a new review up until this weekend.

Comment

• dell71
                  Enter Sandman
                  • Mar 2009

The Reader
                  2008. Rated R, 124 minutes.
                  Director: Stephen Daldry. Starring Kate Winslet, David Kross, Ralph Fiennes, Lena Olin.

Plot: In 1958 Germany, 15 year old Michael has an affair with 30-something Hanna which has a profound effect on both of their lives. At her request, they develop the habit of Michael reading aloud to her before sex. A few years later, they cross paths again. This time, her past comes to light causing Michael much stress.

The Good: You can't begin to discuss this movie without mentioning the performances. Kate Winslet proves she is one of the very best actresses of her era, once again turning in stellar work and earning her first Oscar (Best Actress) in the process. She deftly portrays Hanna as a woman with both a horrendous past and an embarrassing inability. To his credit, director Stephen Daldry handles both well. He reveals her past in a painful instant and hints at her inability but doesn't fully divulge it until it becomes relevant to the story. Now, back to that acting. The unsung hero of the cast is David Kross as the younger version of Michael. Watching him grow from a wide-eyed teen to a jilted lover and then a torn man is a joy. His work renders Ralph Fiennes, who plays the older Michael, little more than a placeholder. Finally, even though its unabashedly a tragic romance, it never resorts to the histrionics of melodrama. This makes the characters feel as if they're people reacting to real situations instead of performers going for their big moment.

The Bad: Two aspects of the movie that could've elevated it are left largely underdeveloped. First, there's young Michael's relationship with his family. It's introduced and peeked at, promises to add an interesting layer but is abandoned abruptly. Second, older Michael's relationship with his daughter needed to be either greatly expanded to build upon the parallellability of his with Hanna or cut out completely. As is, it just seems like a superfluous epilogue.

The Ugly: Young Michael's family dinners - talk about tense.

Recommendation: This is a very good movie but seems to have gotten its Best Picture nom on the strength of it's performances and the fact that it deals with one of the Academy's favorite subjects, the Holocaust. That said, its still a solid drama telling an intriguing story, just not one of my five faves of the year. Prudes beware, Winslet and Kross spend much of the first half of the movie naked.

The Opposite View: Julie Rigg, Movie Time - ABC National Radio

What the Internet Says: 7.7/10 on imdb.com (6/8/09), 62% on rottentomatoes.com, 58/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dell71

Notorious
                    2009. Rated R, 114 minutes.
                    Director: George Tillman, Jr. Starring Jamal Woolard, Derek Luke, Angela Bassett, Antonique Smith.

Plot: The life and times of Christopher Wallace, AKA The Notorious B.I.G.

The Good: Even better than simply not making our hero a saint, the movie doesn't try to justify his indiscretions. It's content to show him as a guy who often has to learn the hard way. It also manages to show him as thoughtful, if a bit selfish. Woolard in the title role is simply note-perfect. Unfortunately, he's so good and has a look enough like Biggie I can see him struggling to land other roles. Actually, the title role is shared by Woolard with Biggie's real-life son, Christopher Jordan Wallace, who ably plays his dad as a kid. The movie also makes effective use of Biggie's music as both a score and a soundtrack.

The Bad: I've often complained about movies, especially comedies, that simply run too long. However, I'm a firm believer that biopics should be at least two hours long. This one is a bit shy of that mark and suffers because of it. In particular, his various attempts at reconciliation with the women in his life are either glossed over or just plain left out as things between he and them go from bad to good instantaneously. It also limits character development in others who should/could have had major roles. Lil' Kim (Naturi Naughton) suffers the most as the script makes her completely selfish, lacking any compassion and most other human emotions besides anger. The circle around Biggie known as Junior MAFIA also suffers, only depicted as flunkies and hangers on when by most accounts he did have real friendships within the group. Even his friendship with Puffy is never dealt with.

The Ugly: How he gets "inspired" to make his hit song Juicy.

Recommendation: This is a pretty good biopic that sticks to the headlines from its subject's life. For hip hop fans, it's a worthy first entry into the genre. It could've used some more fleshing out to be great. Even though it's no disappointment, one can't help but wonder how much better a movie about Biggie's friend turned nemesis, the more interesting and dynamic personality Tupac Shakur, could be.

The Opposite View: Rob Daniel, Sky Movies

What the Internet Says: 5.8/10 on imdb.com (3/2/09), 53% on rottentomatoes.com, 60/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 7/10
                    After seeing your score on this, I gave it a chance, and it wasn't too bad. I expected utter crap, but came away pleasantly surprised. I thought everyone played their part well.

The biggest knock on this one, I think, is that you don't really get a glimpse of his passion for the business. It comes off kind of dry and lacks depth in that regard. Also agree with how they dealt with his friendships. If they added another 20 minutes dealing specifically with the closeness of he and his friends, it'd make a whole lot of difference. The only real connection I got was between him and the dude that took the gun charges for him. Other than that...the relationship between he and Puff and even members of the Junior MAFIA felt like they were without real connection. The Junior MAFIA were definitely made to be flunkies. Lil Cease looked like a straight up cronie in the movie.

I'd give it a solid 6 or 6.5 out of 10, definitely surprised me, as I expect a 2 or 3 originally.
                    Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 06-08-2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

The Day the Earth Stood Still
                      1951. Not Rated, 91 minutes.
                      Director: Robert Wise. Starring Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Sam Jaffe, Billy Gray.

An alien spacecraft lands smack dab in the middle of Washington D.C. during a busy day. The being that emerges from the ship is shot within moments of setting foot on Earth. He survives and demands to meet with all of the planet's leaders. With WWII having ended only 6 years earlier, along comes this grim allegory of a movie that's gone on to be hailed as a sci-fi classic. The being inside, Klaatu (Rennie) represents us, therefore it's very important that he looks like us. He's no green-skinned monster who instantly opens fire on us. He is us, giving a warning to ourselves. As far as movie-making prowess goes, it's a success but not an overwhelming one. The narrative drags just a bit since the tension is eased while our messenger takes a tour around D.C. Still, even that serves a purpose in the movie, so no big deal. The special fx are actually pretty stong for the era and appropriately they're used sparingly. The dialogue lacks any subtlety whatsoever which gives the movie the feeling of someone beating you over the head with their message. What's remarkable is that message is not as dated as the movie's age suggests. By changing the word atomic to nuclear and making it a little snazzier looking it could still resonate with today's audience. Hmmm....

I normally don't do this for old movies but just as a point of comparison...

What the Internet Says: 8.1/10 on imdb.com (#224 all time, 5/5/09), 94% on rottentomatoes, N/A on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 8/10

...which brings us to this...

The Day the Earth Stood Still
                      2008. Rated PG-13, 104 minutes.
                      Director: Scott Derrickson. Starring Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Jaden Smith, Kathy Bates.

Plot: An alien spacecraft lands smack dab in the middle of Manhattan one night. The being that emerges from the spacecraft is shot within moments of setting foot on Earth. He survives and demands to meet with the planet's leaders.

The Good: The early parts of the movie do a nice job building tension quickly. This gives it the sense of urgency it's looking for. There's also an air of mystery as we watch a bunch of scientists and government officials who are rightfully baffled by what's going on. It's also a good looking movie, reminiscent of The Matrix franchise. Having Keanu Reeves as the star only reinforces this notion, but it's attractive nonetheless in that same monochromatic manner. Finally the new GORT, Klaatu's personal giant robot security guard is very impressive...for much of the movie.

The Bad: A constant problem for this movie is that it's ideas are solid but the execution of them is horrible. Chief among these ideas is the updated premise. The original was a warning against us causing our own destruction through atomic weapons. With our constant worry about who has nuclear weapons, I thought that was still a strong foundation to build on, obviously changing the word atomic to nuclear. However, the filmmakers opted to go with the "green" angle (hence, the greenish tint to the whole movie) and warn us about destroying the planet itself. Okay, I'll buy that but exactly why beings from other universes should care is unclear. It follows that by piling up inconsistencies at a mind boggling rate. Some of which even involves special fx - I'm looking at you, massive swarm of bugs. Next, not only is Klaatu not terribly bright for a being from a supposedly more advanced civilization but he does something incredibly idiotic. That by itself might not be so bad, but we get the sense he only does it so the movie has an excuse to try and dazzle us with cgi. Don't even get me started on the overly melodramatic and Armageddon-esque finale that's only possible because our hero came to the same realization that my 6 year old came to about 3 years ago.

The Ugly: Ya know what, I liked Jaden Smith alongside his dad in The Pursuit of Happyness but he really, really...really annoyed me here.

Recommendation: This is a misguided attempt at modernization. Instead of thoughtfully updating the original it gives us the same basic setup and then repeatedly taps us on the shoulder and says "Hey, doesn't this look cool?" Even the DVD cover does this. If you look at the back of it, you'll see in large print "THIS TIME THERE'S MORE ACTION, MORE SPECIAL EFFECTS AND MORE MAYHEM!" Yawn.

The Opposite View: David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews

What the Internet Says: 5.6/10 on imdb.com (5/5/09), 21% on rottentomatoes.com, 40/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 3/10
                      First film is a classic and one of the better from its genre.

The second one is mind numbingly bad. I don't even know why I watched it, as I knew it'd be bad, but something just made me put it in. Brutally bad film. Sadly, the role of Klaatu is perfect for Keanu Reeves...the man doesn't have to even act...just be himself...but dude overacted it. Maybe one of Kathy Bates' worst roles. Terrible.

Comment

• Senser81
                        VSN Poster of the Year
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Larry
                        Maybe one of Kathy Bates' worst roles.
                        This comment made me LOL. Very hardcore observation.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                          This comment made me LOL. Very hardcore observation.
                          What you did there...I see it.

:seeyou:

Comment

• NAHSTE
                            Probably owns the site
                            • Feb 2009

Finally watched Infernal Affairs this weekend. Is it bad I like Departed more?

Comment

• dell71
                              Enter Sandman
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE13
                              Finally watched Infernal Affairs this weekend. Is it bad I like Departed more?
                              Not at all. I like it more as well. It spent more time on character development and let us know these people better than the original did. In my eyes, its one of those rare remakes that improves upon the original.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                                Highwayman
                                • Feb 2009

The Reader
                                2008. Rated R, 124 minutes.
                                Director: Stephen Daldry. Starring Kate Winslet, David Kross, Ralph Fiennes, Lena Olin.

Plot: In 1958 Germany, 15 year old Michael has an affair with 30-something Hanna which has a profound effect on both of their lives. At her request, they develop the habit of Michael reading aloud to her before sex. A few years later, they cross paths again. This time, her past comes to light causing Michael much stress.

The Good: You can't begin to discuss this movie without mentioning the performances. Kate Winslet proves she is one of the very best actresses of her era, once again turning in stellar work and earning her first Oscar (Best Actress) in the process. She deftly portrays Hanna as a woman with both a horrendous past and an embarrassing inability. To his credit, director Stephen Daldry handles both well. He reveals her past in a painful instant and hints at her inability but doesn't fully divulge it until it becomes relevant to the story. Now, back to that acting. The unsung hero of the cast is David Kross as the younger version of Michael. Watching him grow from a wide-eyed teen to a jilted lover and then a torn man is a joy. His work renders Ralph Fiennes, who plays the older Michael, little more than a placeholder. Finally, even though its unabashedly a tragic romance, it never resorts to the histrionics of melodrama. This makes the characters feel as if they're people reacting to real situations instead of performers going for their big moment.

The Bad: Two aspects of the movie that could've elevated it are left largely underdeveloped. First, there's young Michael's relationship with his family. It's introduced and peeked at, promises to add an interesting layer but is abandoned abruptly. Second, older Michael's relationship with his daughter needed to be either greatly expanded to build upon the parallellability of his with Hanna or cut out completely. As is, it just seems like a superfluous epilogue.

The Ugly: Young Michael's family dinners - talk about tense.

Recommendation: This is a very good movie but seems to have gotten its Best Picture nom on the strength of it's performances and the fact that it deals with one of the Academy's favorite subjects, the Holocaust. That said, its still a solid drama telling an intriguing story, just not one of my five faves of the year. Prudes beware, Winslet and Kross spend much of the first half of the movie naked.

The Opposite View: Julie Rigg, Movie Time - ABC National Radio

What the Internet Says: 7.7/10 on imdb.com (6/8/09), 62% on rottentomatoes.com, 58/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 7.5/10
                                A surprise movie of the year for me...I thought nothing going in and came away surprised. If the Jews in Hollywood didn't beat the living utter shit out of the horse that is the Holocaust in film, maybe this would have gotten a little more love. That's my only knock...I'm tired of the Holocaust films.

Winslet did a great job. I love me some Ralph Fiennes.

Comment

Working...