Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nflman2033
    George Brett of VSN
    • Apr 2009

Muholland Dr. is pretty straight forward compared to Eraserhead and Inland Empire

Comment

• dell71
      Enter Sandman
      • Mar 2009

Eegah: The Name Written in Blood
      Directed by Arch Hall Sr.
      1962. Not Rated, 90 minutes.
      Cast:
      Richard Kiel
      Marilyn Manning
      Arch Hall, Jr.
      Arch Hall, Sr.

While driving to a party, Roxy (Manning) is frightened by a "giant" caveman that appears in her path. Forget about 'B', this more like 'Z' grade madness. Like many truly horrible movies, the idea itself isn't terrible, but the execution of it is horrendous. The dialogue is wooden and the acting is at least as stiff. Surprisingly, Richard Kiel as our giant was fairly convincing. Then again, given that his most famous role is that of hulking henchman Jaws in the James Bond series it only makes sense how well suited he is for a part that only requires him to grunt and say "Eegah!" Nothing much is explained, more accurately, the characters guess a lot and assume they're right. Oh, before I forget, I have to talk about our real "star," Arch Hall, Jr. He plays the boyfriend who is far more interested in getting laid than in trivial things like rescuing his girl's father from a hostile savage, not so coincidentally played by his real father Arch, Sr. It seems, in real life, young Mr. Hall fashioned himself a triple threat. You see, he starred in the films his father directed, including this one. He was also lead singer of something called Arch Hall, Jr and the Archers. Seriously. And of course, he incorporated a few dance moves into this. Dad, ever the enabler, not only gave his son a big role in Eegah but let him sing in it quite a few times, including two big stage numbers. Oh my God, now this is what unintentional humor is all about. He obviously craves to be the next Elvis Presley, his character even gushes over "the King." However, he badly lacks the chops in any of those "triple threat" categories, all the more sad considering Elvis wasn't exactly Jimmy Stewart, to put it nicely. Lucky for young Arch, the rest of the movie is laughably bad, as well. In fact, it's so bad it's awesome. If you don't believe me, ask the guys from Mystery Science Theater who featured the movie on their cult-classic of a show.

MY SCORE: -10/10

Comment

• dell71
        Enter Sandman
        • Mar 2009

A Serious Man
        Directed by Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
        2009. Rated R, 105 minutes.
        Cast:
        Michael Stuhlbarg
        Richard Kind
        Fred Melamed
        Aaron Wolff
        Sari Lennick
        Jessica McManus
        Peter Breitmayer

Plot: Larry Gopnik's (Stuhlbarg) world is collapsing all around him while he desperately searches for guidance and answers.

The Good: This is a sharp examination of faith and family wrapped in the type of humor that comes from everyday life. There are no pratfalls or over the top hijinks. There's only the ridiculousness that might happen in your home, or the home of someone you know. Through it all, we identify with and feel for Larry. Our laughter about his plight comes from a place of both sympathy and empathy. Stuhlbarg delivers the perfect performance to facilitate those feelings. It's also a story about growing up. Interestingly enough, the growing up needs to be done not only by his kids, of his two we focus mostly on the son Danny (Wolff), but also by the adults, especially his brother Arthur, played superbly by Richard Kind.

The Bad: The parent-child relationships aren't explored at all. Going further into this could've added even more depth to an already multi-layered movie. In particular, I felt the daughter is a wasted character. She exists merely to stomp onto the screen, yell a few lines and stomp off. Of course, it is a Coen brothers movie which means its style is just going to rub some people the wrong way.

The Ugly: Why Uncle Arthur spends so much time in the bathroom.

Recommendation: Though it steers clear of the bizarro-world antics of the Coens' Burn After Reading its uses that same dark style of comedy. Use that as the first indicator of whether you might like it or not. While it is a comedy, don't look for those moments designed to have you rolling on the floor laughing. Instead, it'll have you consistently chuckling and shaking your head in a knowing amazement, if that makes sense. With all that said, it may not hold as much appeal for younger and/or single guys but for us old married fogies, its right up our alley.

The Opposite View: David Denby, The New Yorker

What the Internet Says: 7.9/10 on imdb.com (1/17/10), 87% on rottentomatoes.com, 79/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 8.5/10

Comment

• dell71
          Enter Sandman
          • Mar 2009

Dogma
          Directed by Kevin Smith
          1999. Rated R, 130 minutes.
          Cast:
          Linda Fiorentino
          Ben Affleck
          Matt Damon
          Chris Rock
          Salma Hayek
          Alan Rickman
          Jason Mewes
          Kevin Smith

Fallen angels Loki (Damon) and Bartleby (Affleck) try to exploit a loophole in divine law to get back into heaven. The whole thing is a sharp, irreverent, funny and at times very nearly blasphemous debate on all things religious - Catholicism, in particular. The method of that debate is oftne taken to absurd extremes, and thanks mostly to Jay (Mewes), fueled by f-bomb laced tirades. It makes us laugh even as we feel a bit guilty for doing so. Through it all, it gives us some serious food for thought. For instance, given what we know about how things have been added to and subtracted from the Bible over the course of time, is the idea of 13th apostle really that far-fetched? Same goes for the identity of God (and the voice of God, as well). That said, the more devoutly religious you are the bigger the chance you'll find it offensive, needlessly crass and the work of those who walk by sight and not by faith. However, if given the chance it can be a great starting point for serious discussions on the matter. Either way, I think we can all agree the "poop demon" is just way over the line. I wish I had never seen that.

MY SCORE: 9/10

Comment

• Buzzman
            • Oct 2008

I love Dogma. I think its Kevin Smiths best movie.

I'll def have to check out A Serious Man, I always get confused with A Single Man(?) the one that came out this year about the gay man.

Also what did you think of Burn After Reading? I thought it was so funny. IT had me laughing non stop.

Comment

• Pitty
              Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
              • Feb 2009

Watch Moon, it's great.

Comment

• Maynard
                stupid ass titles
                • Feb 2009

finished watching snatch. What a fantastic movie. incredible style and humor. excellent story too. The ending totally caught me by surprise....great flick and i only watched it cause you had it ranked on that list of yours dell.

thanks!

Comment

• dell71
                  Enter Sandman
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
                  I love Dogma. I think its Kevin Smiths best movie.

I'll def have to check out A Serious Man, I always get confused with A Single Man(?) the one that came out this year about the gay man.

Also what did you think of Burn After Reading? I thought it was so funny. IT had me laughing non stop.
                  Burn After Reading is awesome...very underrated flick.
                  Originally posted by Pitty
                  Watch Moon, it's great.
                  I'm getting there. Promise.
                  Originally posted by Maynard
                  finished watching snatch. What a fantastic movie. incredible style and humor. excellent story too. The ending totally caught me by surprise....great flick and i only watched it cause you had it ranked on that list of yours dell.

thanks!
                  No, thank you.

Comment

• Houston
                    Back home
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by dell71
                    Way of the Gun
                    2000. Rated R, 119 minutes.
                    Director: Christopher McQuarrie.
                    Starring Ryan Phillipe, Benicio del Toro, Juliette Lewis, Taye Diggs.
                    Two small-time crooks stumble upon the news of a woman being paid $1 million cash to be a surrogate mom and set out to abduct her in hopes of collecting some ransom money for themselves. Schemes, revelations and gunfights ensue. Lots of gunfights. Though it obviously owes much to the films of Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock and Smoking Barrels its pretty outstanding in it's own right. It skips on most of the zaniness of those influences but still manages a subtle and very dark humor amidst the hail of bullets. As usual, del Toro is great but its the old vet James Caan that stands out. His work here is nothing short of amazing and slyly menacing. Juliette Lewis, as our pregnant lady, is nearly as good. Oh, can't forget the Sarah Silverman cameo at the beginning, which is just awesome. Still, its called Way of the Gun for a reason. Those shootouts are a thing of flesh-piercing beauty. And its definitely not one of those movies where the good guys hit something nearly everytime they squeeze the trigger. Then again, there really aren't any good guys. And the movie is better for it.
                    MY SCORE: 8/10

Ahh told you the movie was pretty good. I only wish there were more gunfights.

Also that car chase when they first kidnapped the lady was epic. How they got out and left the cops on foot and then crashed into them the 2nd time around lol

Comment

• Fox1994
                      Posts too much
                      • Dec 2008

You know what else is good? Revolver - Guy Ritchie, Jason Stratham (sp?), Ray Liotta, Andre 3000... Hell of a movie.

Comment

• dope
                        Allons-y!
                        • Feb 2009

A Serious Man
                        what was your interpretation of the ending?

it's pretty basic but its kinda like the worst is yet to come...that is mine...however you can also look at the whole movie as a modern telling of job...that the whole time he tried to be "a serious man" and do what was right in black and white terms...then when he finally broke his own rules and changed the grade for the korean god punished him with the doctors call and the tornado coming for his son. kinda the sins of the father type of deal. also the story of the teeth and how the priest said "who cares" meaning who cares what happens or why things happen....they just do and you should just "receive with simplicity everything that happens to you"
                        Last edited by dope; 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

(500) Days of Summer
                          Directed by Marc Webb
                          2009. Rated PG-13, 95 minutes.
                          Cast:
                          Joseph Gordon-Levitt
                          Zooey Deschanel
                          Geoffrey Arend
                          Chloe Moretz
                          Matthew Gray Gubler
                          Clark Gregg

Plot: Hopeless romantic Tom (Gordon-Levitt) falls head over heels for not so romantic Summer (Deschanel).

The Good: In a bit of a role-reversal from most rom-coms, its the guy who believes whole-heartedly in love at first sight, soul mates and other such hocus pocus. He loves hard and wants reciprocity. Summer is his exact opposite and the way they attract is handled wonderfully. The tow of them feel like real people, not the exaggerated stereotypes of slacker masculinity and clingy femininity. It also leaves out another common element in romances, the show-stopping moment of clarity. There is no running through the airport or train station screaming at the top one's lungs or bursting in on a wedding seconds before the "I dos" are said. It just plays like a relationship we really might've had. For this, the movie is less predictable. it also makes us yearn for that moment but fully understand when we don't get it.

The Bad: The recurring bit of Tom's twelve year old (or so) sister Rachel (Moretz) acting as his psychiatrist got old, quick. Her "wise-beyond-her-years" schtick was cute, at first, but became annoying. It also kept pulling me out of a movie that otherwise did a tremendous job getting me immersed. The other problem is it reminded me too much of two other movies. The way it zips back and forth through time (which works well, by the way) and Summer's near unwillingness to love conjures memories of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (some will chuckle at that line). The personality and idiosyncracies of our hero and the way it plays out is similar to Woody Allen's classic Annie Hall.

The Ugly: Just how much money did furniture giant Ikea cough up for this movie?

Recommendation: Like I said, its basically an update of Annie Hall. That said, its an effective update. Its excellently directed and written with really good performances from our leads. It's the latest in what's become a long line of "chick flicks for guys" but its one the ladies will appreciate more than most of the others as it...gasp...favors emotions over raunch. Steer clear if you're looking for something similar to what comes out of the Apatow camp, like Forgetting Sarah Marshall. This leaves out movie wackiness for more subtle, real life crazy.

The Opposite View: Nathan Lee, NPR

What the Internet Says: 8.1/10 on imdb.com (#225 all time as of 1/13/10), 87% on rottentomatoes.com, 76/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 8.5/10
                          Agree whole heartedly. She was the biggest drawback of the movie for me. Not that it's her fault, but the whole "precocious teen who knows more than adults" character is getting waaaaaay overused in Hollywood these days. Within seconds of her character walking in, I thought, "great, some snarky and pithy dialogue is coming out of her mouth in about 2.5 seconds" and sure enough, she filled the role to a T. Snarky, pithy youngster, giving wisdom to the lost, neurotic, silly adults. It was straight out the Juno handbook.

Solid review though, we're pretty on the same page with the score. I watched it a 2nd time a few days later and it held up upon that viewing as well. Even with the pithy teenager.
                          Last edited by NAHSTE; 01-20-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Tailback U
                            No substitute 4 strength.
                            • Nov 2008

Dell, have you seen/reviewed The Hurt Locker yet?

Comment

• dell71
                              Enter Sandman
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fox1994
                              You know what else is good? Revolver - Guy Ritchie, Jason Stratham (sp?), Ray Liotta, Andre 3000... Hell of a movie.
                              Originally posted by boozerguy47
                              You should review Fracture, good Anthony Hopkins movie.
                              Haven't gotten around to either. Both fall into that everytime I go to rent/watch them I find something else I want to see a little more. Heard good stuff about Revolver, so so about Fracture.
                              Originally posted by dope
                              what was your interpretation of the ending?

it's pretty basic but its kinda like the worst is yet to come...that is mine...however you can also look at the whole movie as a modern telling of job...that the whole time he tried to be "a serious man" and do what was right in black and white terms...then when he finally broke his own rules and changed the grade for the korean god punished him with the doctors call and the tornado coming for his son. kinda the sins of the father type of deal. also the story of the teeth and how the priest said "who cares" meaning who cares what happens or why things happen....they just do and you should just "receive with simplicity everything that happens to you"
                              Pretty much the same except...

I don't think it was really comparable to Job (though lots of people agree with you, btw). The difference is Job was merely a pawn in a pissing contest (for lack of a better term) between God & the Devil who are deliberately testing his faith. Here, we have a guy going through some hard times but nothing suggests he's purposely being singled out by superior beings. He's just going through many of the things lots of us go through and dealing with the temptations we all deal with. His consequences seem a little steeper than normal when he falters but that's because he does something he absolutely knows is wrong. So more or less, I'm saying I saw it as the consequences of evil actions.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                              Dell, have you seen/reviewed The Hurt Locker yet?
                              You are just a half step ahead...See my next post a little bit later.
                              Last edited by dell71; 01-20-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• dell71
                                Enter Sandman
                                • Mar 2009

The Hurt Locker
                                Directed by Kathryn Bigelow.
                                2009. Rated R, 131 minutes.
                                Cast:
                                Jeremy Renner
                                Anthony Mackie
                                Brian Geraghty
                                Ralph Fiennes
                                Evangeline Lilly
                                Christopher Sayegh
                                Guy Pearce

Plot: We follow three United States soldiers on their missions to diffuse bombs in Iraq.

The Good: Alfred Hitchcock once said "There is no terror in a bang, only in the anticipation of it." Director Kathryn Bigelow realizes this. She understands that while action is often more fun to look at and more palatable to audiences, tension brings us to the edges of our seats, makes us uncomfortable and resonates. She gives us plenty of it. Even when she breaks down and gives us action, it follows a hair-raising build up. Therein, lies the key. Part of maintaining that tension is the way she toys with us. Sometimes we get the bang, sometimes not. Underneath it all, we learn a great deal about the three men we're following and come to understand them. The actors playing them: Renner, Mackie and Geraghty, all give excellent performances, making it easy for us to disappear into the illusion that we're really watching actual soldiers.

The Bad: For some, it might be hard to get into because there is no plot to speak of. On top of that, even though these are men at war there's not a traditional movie conflict, either. There is only the job they have to do which they merely hope to survive each day, both literally and figuratively. Though, the testosterone may occasionally get out of hand for some. Finally, you may not be satisfied and feel a lack of closure concerning the stories of two of our three heroes.

The Ugly: An internal bomb...being dug out.

Recommendation: The War in Iraq gets its greatest movie to date. More than that, it deserves to go down as a great war movie, regardless of which one its about. It's lack of a plot actually adds levity by freeing it from many Hollywood conventions and helps to believe we're just riding shotgun during a few weeks with these guys.

The Opposite View: Derek Elley, Variety

What the Internet Says: 8.0/10 on imdb.com (1/20/10), 97% on rottentomatoes.com, 94/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 10/10

Comment

Working...