X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgoblue2290
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
    Paint by numbers is a bit harsh. That's reserved for CBS level fare. On the other hand, Nic P did work on the shitfest that was THE KILLING which you so faithfully stuck with so maybe you're right. You'd know paint by numbers procedurals better than I.

So just because reddit dweebs wasted an endless amount of their time looking for shit that wasn't there it was anti-climactic? Judge the show for what it was, not for what the internet mooks wanted it to be.

To me its not even about all the red herrings left through out the show. Just the fact they didn't really stop the cult or corruption. We're told all through the show how big this cover up is and they've got quite a bit of evidence but nothing really comes from it.

However, Marty and Rust are in the running for GOAT TV characters. The Magic Johnson and Larry Bird of TV.

Comment

• Buzzman
      • Oct 2008

For all we know, the other detectives dig deeper into the case and uncover more, but Rust and Marty caught there guy and were complete.

Comment

• NAHSTE
        Probably owns the site
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mgoblue2290

To me its not even about all the red herrings left through out the show. Just the fact they didn't really stop the cult or corruption. We're told all through the show how big this cover up is and they've got quite a bit of evidence but nothing really comes from it.

However, Marty and Rust are in the running for GOAT TV characters. The Magic Johnson and Larry Bird of TV.

My takeaway was that there was never going to be a way to take down the entire system. I believe one of the main statements the show made is that no matter what we do there will always be forces of evil in the world because of the the flaws of mankind and the institutions we have created.

"Time is a flat circle ..." "Man is the cruelest animal... " "You people ... you eat your young and nobody gives a shit."

This will continue happening, and there is nothing our two brave heroes can do to stop it. But that doesn't make them any less of heroes. And I think that's what Rust ultimately had to accept.

They could have sold the moment where he expressed his disappointment/outrage over the FBI cover up a bit more. Kind of lame to use the news anchor as exposition vehicle -- Breaking Bad did the same thing in its finale and I did not like it then either -- but at the same time I knew we were never going to see Rust and Marty take down the entire machine. Tuttle was going to be protected, cause that's what power and money do. The women and chillinz gonna keep being exploited and marginilized and killed because that's just what happens.

"Time is a flat circle ...

"Man is the cruelest animal... "

"You people ... you eat your young and nobody gives a shit."

The ultimate focus was always gonna be on the the two leads, but I'm not let down at all by how they paid off the main story. After all, it was a pretty bad ass scene. Legitimately terrifying, and even if a bit cliched, it stuck the landing.
        Last edited by NAHSTE; 03-11-2014, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Trmszczykowski
          The Mountain recast
          • Nov 2010

Was there ever a resolution to

Who told the guy who Rust interrogated(Danny Fontenot) to kill himself? Because I don't think Errol was involved enough to know. Also its a shame that Reggie Ledoux was killed. It made for a powerful scene, but I think he would have been a better end antagonist than Errol.

Comment

• Pitty
            Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
            For all we know, the other detectives dig deeper into the case and uncover more, but Rust and Marty caught there guy and were complete.
            Except those other two detectives were simple company men and not too clever.

Comment

• Glenbino
              Jelly and Ice Cream
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
              They seemed pretty satisfied with the findings of the case when they were wrapping things up with Marty in the hospital...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Trm
                Was there ever a resolution to

Who told the guy who Rust interrogated(Danny Fontenot) to kill himself? Because I don't think Errol was involved enough to know. Also its a shame that Reggie Ledoux was killed. It made for a powerful scene, but I think he would have been a better end antagonist than Errol.

One of the prison guards who talked to Rust after was named Childress. I think they noted that at one point after Geraci told them the officer who changed the original Fontenot report was a since deceased Childress.
                Last edited by NAHSTE; 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Jayrock
                  mini MJ
                  • Apr 2012

I was kinda expecting more. The whole curiosity I had about the Yellow King and Carcosa and the crazy shit all these psychos were saying just kinda didn't live up to the ending IMO. Would have liked to hear more about why that crazy shit was going on and hear Errol spew some weird talk. I guess I kinda wanted to know more why everything went on rather than just an ending fight scene with a head getting blown off. That's just about the case though.

The characters were what drove the show though, and they got a great ending. I enjoyed it.

Comment

• Matt
                    No longer a noob
                    • Jun 2012

Was not a fan of the finale at all. Overall a great season though. Loved the story.

But it peaked at this scene for me

I expected too much from this show. So that's my downfall. I think it needed 2 more episodes.

The camera work was fantastic.

Comment

• Palooza
                      Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                      • Feb 2009

"If the only thing keeping a show decent is the expectation of divine reward, then as a viewer, you’re a piece of shit."

Comment

• Twigg4075
                        Kindergarten Cop
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        There is a danger in this formula. American Horror Story had a cool S1, but went right into the shitter with an utterly unwatchable S2.

Either way, this premier was tits. Looks great so far.
                        Originally posted by MvP
                        My brother actually told me the same exact thing. I've never watched AHS before and had no idea it used that formula.

Regardless..say True Detective goes 5 seasons, each with completely different cases. There will end up being a particular season or two that isn't as enjoyable as the rest due to the setting, actors, or whatever. It's inevitable.
                        But was it the same? I only watched season 1 of AHS and the beginning of season 2 bored me so I stopped watching. But didn't they just use the same cast but in different settings? This show will have a new cast each time as well as a new setting and case.
                        Originally posted by Leftwich
                        Just caught up with the whole season. Fuck man, Sunday is too far away.
                        The wife and I did the same thing. Seven episodes over a weekend. We slept on it for too long. Luckily my wife was smart enough to dvr most of the episodes and we used the trusty Chromcast for the ones we missed recording.
                        Originally posted by Trm
                        Its weird reading how some have written it off very early in its premiere. I started watching less than a week ago, and I was immediately hooked. Glen was spot on about this show visually, its been beautiful.
                        Everyone has their own opinions but I was hooked from the get go too. If you're just a fan of quality tv it seems impossible not to like this shit.

Also, soooooo much amazing ass.
                        Last edited by Twigg4075; 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Pitty
                          Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
                          • Feb 2009

Comment

• EmpireWF
                            Giants in the Super Bowl
                            • Mar 2009

Watched season 1 over the past few days and it was amazing. The two leads playing off each other made the show, though the creepy way they were able to shoot hillbilly Louisiana also played a massive part in making the season come off so well. Can't wait to see what they come back with in season 2.

Originally posted by Jayrock
                            I was kinda expecting more. The whole curiosity I had about the Yellow King and Carcosa and the crazy shit all these psychos were saying just kinda didn't live up to the ending IMO. Would have liked to hear more about why that crazy shit was going on and hear Errol spew some weird talk. I guess I kinda wanted to know more why everything went on rather than just an ending fight scene with a head getting blown off. That's just about the case though.
                            Not dealing with the Yellow King/Carcosa in the finale -- chalk it up to just another statement that what happened was bigger than anyone realized (perhaps even Cohle and Hart).

As for why the crazy shit was happening, who the fuck knows what would make generations of an inbred family sacrifice kids and sexually abuse them. As Errol said, his family has been around for a long, long time (killing kids and women throughout all of it).

Comment

• Glenbino
                              Jelly and Ice Cream
                              • Nov 2009

I know I'm not the only one who saw the yellow king thing addressed.

Go back and watch the episode where Rust finds the church with all the little demon shanties in it. In the mirror is a yellow crown sign (looks like it's a hotel). That's why Rust even knew how to find that place.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                                Probably owns the site
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Glenbino
                                I know I'm not the only one who saw the yellow king thing addressed.

Go back and watch the episode where Rust finds the church with all the little demon shanties in it. In the mirror is a yellow crown sign (looks like it's a hotel). That's why Rust even knew how to find that place.

Think you missed it.

Comment

Working...