X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    Why do I feel like I've heard the name Abner Abreu? Was he once highly regarded?
    He put up some decent numbers as a teenager in rookie ball, but since he moved up his slugging has dropped and strikeouts have skyrocketed.

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Indian Prospects Insider had him as the Indians #22 spec coming into this season.

He was 15th pre 2009 and 5th pre 2010.

Comment

• Goober
        Needs a hobby
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
        Indian Prospects Insider had him as the Indians #22 spec coming into this season.

He was 15th pre 2009 and 5th pre 2010.
        Baseball America had him at #23 last year, and dropped him off the top 30 before this year. Weird that the Indian website valued him so much.If anyone has insider, here's KLaw's take:

Comment

• FirstTimer
          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
          Baseball America had him at #23 last year, and dropped him off the top 30 before this year. Weird that the Indian website valued him so much.
          He's one of those boom or bust guys. Big time potential. Really raw but great tools.. Easy to see why the flucuation on guys like that. No real consensus.

Decent BA article on the trade:

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
            Why do I feel like I've heard the name Abner Abreu? Was he once highly regarded?
            LOL at that mismatched name. Sounds like one of those auto-generated names from MVP 05 when they just used first and last names of current players. You would see guys like Ichiro Guerrero and Roberto Berkman if you got deep enough into franchise mode.

Comment

• Rudi
              #CyCueto
              • Nov 2008

MVP 05 was one of the GOAT games.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
                He put up some decent numbers as a teenager in rookie ball, but since he moved up his slugging has dropped and strikeouts have skyrocketed.
                He's Dominican. You don't walk off the island.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                  Disagree.

Fukudome to me is an average to above average OF'er. Fielding metrics can lick my taint.

He plays in one of the most difficult RF's in all of baseball and plays(ed) it very well. He's not going to "wow" anyone out there but he's not a butcher.
                  Fuk u, do me.

Comment

• Goober
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Feb 2009

@Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
                    #Brewers doing background work on Furcal. Also interested in Carroll. #Dodgers will trade one. Not both. #tradedeadline #MLB

Prefer Carroll, but I'd take either one.

Comment

• Goober
                      Needs a hobby
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete1982
                      Apparently the Rays just sent Felipe Lopez over to the Brewers for cash considerations. He's a versatile guy, he played 3rd and 1st for us this season in about 80 or so games before he was sent down. Not sure if this is your replacement for weeks for 2-4 weeks though.

SPTimesRays Marc Topkin
                      #Rays make a trade … Felipe Lopez to Brewers foir cash considerations
                      Three way trade!
                      Braves get Will Nieves
                      Brewers get Felipe Lopez
                      Rays get ONE DOLLAR!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

The Nats are really pushing for a centerfielder for this year and beyond. They've been linked with BJ Upton and another possible rumor thats floated out there is sending Drew Storen over to the Twins for Denard Span.

Comment

• Slateman
                          • Apr 2009

Because we don't have one.

Look at the Nationals lineup. Its filled with 20+ homer run power. Morse, Zimmerman, Espinosa, Werth.

We need to get guys on base, so that those solo shots can be multi-RBI homers.

Capable closers are always available. K-Rod was available for nothing. The Padres want to trade Bell. Capps last year. Personally, I think closers are somewhat overrated. They also rarely have long careers with the same team. For every Mariano Rivera there's a Bobby Jenks and Eric Gagne. Brandon League was average last year. Same with Joel Hanrahan.

How many decent leadoff hitters are there in baseball? How many great fielding center fielders who can hit for average and get on base?

Nats can find a new closer. Hell, Clippard could close. They can't find anyone who can produce in the leadoff spot.
                          The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                          As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                          If only I had died instead of you
                          O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Goober
                            Needs a hobby
                            • Feb 2009

Ken Rosenthal
                            #Reds in 4th place, 6 out. Rolen, Cozart on DL. Rival GM on Jocketty's course; "Seems like he isn't sure right now." #tradedeadline #MLB
                            6.5 now.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                              Giants in the Super Bowl
                              • Mar 2009

ESPN says interest in Hunter Pence has "exploded."

Houston may end up changing their mind if someone offers them a boatload for the kid.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                                Highwayman
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                                ESPN says interest in Hunter Pence has "exploded."

Houston may end up changing their mind if someone offers them a boatload for the kid.
                                Beltran was the domino that needed to fall.

Then you change direction to Pence.

I'm shocked the Phillies haven't offered Singleton and change for Pence.

Comment

Working...