Already giving up on Smoak?
    He's in AAA.

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
      Already giving up on Smoak?
      Already? He has had 1260 MLB plate appearances.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

NEW YORK -- Two days before Tuesday's trading deadline, all appeared quiet on the Red Sox front, although one major league executive insisted Sunday night that the team is looking for a buyer for starting pitcher Josh Beckett.

"They're trying to dump him,'' the executive said, "but I don't think anyone would touch him without a big discount.''

"Taking Josh Beckett off this team is not necessarily improving things," Cherington said. "We need to add, we need to improve the rotation, if anything -- improve internally or add to the rotation. I think we're sort of stuck in neutral if we start taking guys out of the rotation that are good major league pitchers."

As a 10/5 player -- 10 years in the big leagues, at least five with the same team -- Beckett has the right to veto any deal.

The Red Sox also are shopping outfielder Ryan Sweeney, the source said.

Beckett, 5-9 with a 4.57 ERA in 17 starts this season, is scheduled to face Detroit ace Justin Verlander on Tuesday night in Fenway Park..

The Red Sox had a scout in Miami to watch Marlins right-hander Josh Johnson, who walked six against the Padres on Sunday afternoon, which did little to enhance his trade value.

Johnson, Matt Garza of the Cubs and James Shields of the Rays seem to be the best potential starters available in a deal, but it would appear that the Red Sox are not prepared to surrender the quality of prospects required to acquire Johnson, and Garza has a triceps issue that will prevent him from making another start before the deadline.

Johnson also has a history of past shoulder problems, and the last thing the Red Sox would seem to need is another high-priced veteran with health issues.

Manager Bobby Valentine, asked about the Red Sox's intentions before the deadline, said, "I think that this organization is in it to win it all the time. I don't think ownership and the front office is thinking anything other than, 'We've got a shot.'"

That would seem to rule out the Red Sox trading such players as Cody Ross, Kelly Shoppach or Matt Albers, who would all potentially have value to a contender. Cherington already has ruled out trading pitcher Jon Lester or outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...p-josh-beckett

Comment

• Mogriffjr
          aka Reece
          • Apr 2009

Just not understanding how Belt is hitting so poorly against RHP...and against LHP he's hit his 4 HR's this year and sporting a 900 OPS (albeit small sample size)...
          Originally posted by Nick Mangold
          Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• Rudi
            #CyCueto
            • Nov 2008

I hope the Reds don't give up much for Pierre. And by that I mean Corcino, Cingrani, and Hamilton better all not be involved in the deal.

Not worth giving up much of anything especially with the way the team is playing.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rudi
              I hope the Reds don't give up much for Pierre. And by that I mean Corcino, Cingrani, and Hamilton better all not be involved in the deal.
              Unless Nick Sigona has replaced the entire Reds front office over night, I think you'll be ok.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rudi

Not worth giving up much of anything especially with the way the team is playing.
                I think it would be more along the lines of a prospect or two that isn't on the radar, or the old "future considerations and cash".

I think the Jonny Gomes deal from last year would be your template.

Comment

• Slateman
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Mogriffjr
                  Just not understanding how Belt is hitting so poorly against RHP...and against LHP he's hit his 4 HR's this year and sporting a 900 OPS (albeit small sample size)...
                  Maybe Belt isn't as good as previously believed
                  The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                  As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                  If only I had died instead of you
                  O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• NAHSTE
                    Probably owns the site
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
                    Maybe Belt isn't as good as previously believed
                    Or maybe you can't get better at hitting LHP if you never get at bats vs LHP. Bochy jerking around his playing time for two years has fucked his development.

Comment

• Villain
                      [REDACTED]
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                      Or maybe you can't get better at hitting LHP if you never get at bats vs LHP. Bochy jerking around his playing time for two years has fucked his development.
                      Except that they're talking about how he's sucking against RHP...
                      [REDACTED]

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Villain
                        Except that they're talking about how he's sucking against RHP...
                        Ah I see. And Bochy fucking with his playing time doesn't affect his ability to hit RHP also? Can't make adjustments from the dugout, that's my only point here. He's gotten 480 career PA, not even a full season.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                          • Sep 2024

Phillies have faxed medical records for Blanton to the Orioles. They are also rumored to be looking at either Juan Pierre or Hunter Pence. Considering the Phillies want Jonathan Schoop, I'm not sure if Pence will happen, though a middle relief prospect could be enough for Blanton.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                            Giants in the Super Bowl
                            • Mar 2009

I hope they send Pence there. Hate hoping he plays like shit in Philly. Go to Baltimore and wake up.

Comment

• Rudi
                              #CyCueto
                              • Nov 2008

Garza

Comment

• Obst
                                RIP West
                                • Oct 2008

Dom Brown on his way to join the Phillies right now. Victorino to Dodgers should be done very soon.

Comment

Working...