So you findout all the greats have been on roids...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rush
    vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

So you findout all the greats have been on roids...

This is hypothetical but you find out guys like Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Randy Johnson, and the phenomenal Mark Prior have all been on steroids in their career. Anybody who is thought of as an "icon" in baseball turns out to have used steroids at some point or another.

What happens then? Does baseball have no integrity left in it at all?
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Supposedly, Mike Piazza admitted steroid use to friendly reporters off the record in the past.

I've always heard accusations and stories of players thinking he was on them, reporters seeing bacne, etc.

I always thought he wasn't (blind homerism, I guess), but frankly...what are we supposed to feel?

The majority of MLB during our lifetime was on the juice.

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

That's why I'm pretty much just going to remember this era as the steroid era. I hate to put everyone in there but it's almost come to that point.

We can't take away the past and we can't continue to try and nitpick who did what, when, where, etc.

The mid 80s-mid 2000s were the steroid era in baseball, plain and simple.

What we have to do is get harder testing going so as to never have an era like it again.
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• mfbmike
        Goat****er
        • Nov 2008

What I think sucks most is the guys who were without a doubt not on the roids, will be guilty by association.

For example, people will always assume or never put it past any of the successful players of the era, even if there is no proof that they did in fact take steroids. Make sense?
        Last edited by mfbmike; 03-27-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Rylo
          Corpse Disgracer
          • Oct 2008

Damn I hope it doesn't come to that. When I look back at liking Mcguire and Sosa as a kid those were sweet times for baseball. Until I and the public found out about the roids' they were using. Sucked.

Comment

• Esjay
            Luck2Hilton
            • Feb 2009

This is the only baseball I've ever known. That being said if/when baseball comes out of it I will definitely remember this as the steroid era. Innocent players, sorry. I believe anybody could be on steroids. Anybody.

Comment

• Youk
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
              Supposedly, Mike Piazza admitted steroid use to friendly reporters off the record in the past.

I've always heard accusations and stories of players thinking he was on them, reporters seeing bacne, etc.

I always thought he wasn't (blind homerism, I guess), but frankly...what are we supposed to feel?

The majority of MLB during our lifetime was on the juice.
              Going off of this, it would obviously strike a chord, but at the same time I look back and see that the majority of players, or a large amount, were on steroids. My feeling would just be to hope that currently most of the players are clean. The thing is, it was not banned by MLB when the majority of these players were using it. What stops them then? What tells them that it is wrong? Hell, I would have done it.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                Giants in the Super Bowl
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Youk
                Going off of this, it would obviously strike a chord, but at the same time I look back and see that the majority of players, or a large amount, were on steroids. My feeling would just be to hope that currently most of the players are clean. The thing is, it was not banned by MLB when the majority of these players were using it. What stops them then? What tells them that it is wrong? Hell, I would have done it.
                Well it was against the law (without a valid doctor's prescription).

Morals since our government has not gone after individual users.

Comment

• Youk
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                  Well it was against the law (without a valid doctor's prescription).
                  Weren't a bunch of these guys getting prescriptions anyways, phony or not?

Comment

• FedEx227
                    Delivers
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Esjay
                    This is the only baseball I've ever known. That being said if/when baseball comes out of it I will definitely remember this as the steroid era. Innocent players, sorry. I believe anybody could be on steroids. Anybody.
                    Pretty much.

When arguably the best pitcher of our era, the most dominant power hitter of our era, and the best all-around hitter or near (A-Rod) are all directly linked to 'roids you have to coin the whole era as that.

It'd be like in 1980s-1990s NBA and you found out Magic, Bird and Jordan were all coke addicts. Now maybe Doc Rivers or Rolando Blackman weren't doing it, but it defines an era.
                    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

I've seen that as well. I don't really believe it though.

That's the sad part though, we have to think of everyone past and present as a potential user.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

To be honest, I really stopped caring about players juicing. You are foolish if you don't think NFL players have been taking HGH for years.

Why even worry about it anymore there is nothing that can be done about it. Cheating will always be prevalent in sports. First place is just the person who cheats the best.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DET Clutch
                          In my opinion, steriods in baseball do more than any other sport. Thats why its so big in baseball and not football. Baseball is almost all strenth, with little exceptions. In football, you dont have the be the strongest, or the fastest.
                          ??????? That's exactly what you have to be in football. You should switch baseball and football because you don't have to be strong or fast to succeed in baseball. Look at Tim Lincecum, David Eckstein, etc.

Comment

• MRN
                            MRNeverwearthesamething
                            • Nov 2008

I don't see why it's impossible, steroids have been around for really long time, longer than most people think, it is plausible to think that some of the greats had used them.

Comment

• FedEx227
                              Delivers
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by houtz
                              If I found out a majority of players we're using in football I'd be extremely pissed.
                              Well time to be extremely pissed.

Originally posted by houtz
                              Ticket prices are through the roof and to find out they players on the field are doing nothing more then taking a supplement to get that way? Fuck that.
                              Those are not direct correlations.

Ticket prices are high because of supply and demand. What they pay players has little to no effect on how high ticket prices are. Success on the field typically indicates higher paid players but it's not a direct correlation.

Ticket prices are dictated by who will pay them and how much they'll pay for them.
                              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

Working...