The Best Pitcher In Baseball?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MannyBeltre
    • Jan 2009

I have always thought that Halladay was, with Oswalt and Johan coming up. I'd put Lincecum ahead of those two now though.

But don't forget Felix. Just pointing out that the dude gets absolutely no run support. Just today pitched seven innings, six k's, no runs, four hits, and does not get the win. This is the year he breaks out, the only starts he has struggled in this year have been ones where he was inflicted with the flou for a bit.

Comment

• spidey12293
      Silly Gallo
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dave
      Zack Greinke has a career record of 40-46 and a career high 13 wins in one season and you guys honestly believe he belongs in this conversation?
      Jeez.
      One fast start and he's friggin Bob Gibson.

Some of you guys really need to find out that baseball was played before 2009.
      what do wins have to do with being a good pitcher? an average pitcher on a good team would get more wins then a good pitcher on a bad team. W-L record should never be looked at.

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete
        Here's an interesting trivia question. From 1996 to 2001 who led the majors in strikeouts in that time span?

I'll give you a hint, he will be forever linked to Fernando Tatis.
        Chan Ho Park?

The link would Tatis hit two grand slams off him in the same inning.
        Last edited by FirstTimer; 05-15-2009, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• FedEx227
          Delivers
          • Mar 2009

Johan Santana is the top dog in my opinion.

Followed by Halladay, Lincecum, Felix, Greinke, etc. But Johan in my mind is top dog. People forget if he had any semblance of a bullpen last year he would have likely won 20-22 games.
          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• chazmaniandevil
            Son of Hades
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by MVPete
            Here's an interesting trivia question. From 1996 to 2001 who led the majors in strikeouts in that time span?

I'll give you a hint, he will be forever linked to Fernando Tatis.
            randy johnson

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
              Beautiful Like Moses
              • Oct 2008

The point Dave is making is its not fair to call someone the best when hes just now showing his signs of brilliance. If you're saying longevity doesnt count for anything then I dont know what to tell you. A 3 month span of great pitching might mean you're pitching the best at this moment, but that doesnt make you the best pitcher in the league. Greinke MIGHT end up infront of Halladay.. but to put him infront of Doc or Johan is ridiculous. Greinke is just having his Cliff Lee like season this year. Is Cliff Lee better than Halladay too cause he balled out last year? Not a chance.

Im not discrediting Greinke.. but IMO hes not on Doc or Johan's level at this point.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
                aka Reece
                • Apr 2009

Johan is the better pitcher in baseball

Halladay is 1A...you can make a case for him being the best just as much as u can with Johan.
                Originally posted by Nick Mangold
                Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• Miggy
                  The Situation
                  • Nov 2008

K-Rod or Johan Santana

/thread
                  [10-08, 21:30] JayDizzle An alligator will kill you the fuck dead

Comment

• The Messenger
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Miggyfan99
                    K-Rod or Johan Santana

/thread
                    The best pitcher in baseball pitches more than one inning and his manager doesn't whisper "don't fuck up" to him on his way to the mound.

Click the banner above or below to visit the greatest chises on Earth!

Comment

• Youk
                      Posts too much
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by The Messenger
                      The best pitcher in baseball pitches more than one inning and his manager doesn't whisper "don't fuck up" to him on his way to the mound.
                      So it's not Chien-Ming Wang?

Comment

• Buzzman
                        • Oct 2008

Hes not in the top 5 yet, but Justin Verlander has found his groove and I dont see him stopping. Last 4 games hes allowed like 3 runs and like 45 Ks.

But I always thought Holliday was the best Pitcher right now and in the past. The guy always go 7 IP and 3 ERs or less.
                        Last edited by Buzzman; 05-16-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• chazmaniandevil
                          Son of Hades
                          • Nov 2008

this thread is so stupid

everyone is going to take this thread differently

we need to decide whether its the best active pitcher in baseball
                          a. right now
                          b. overall

Comment

• chazmaniandevil
                            Son of Hades
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dr. KC
                            Right now, the best starting pitcher in 2009 is Zach Greinke, and I am not saying this only because I am a Royals fan (o.k., I might be little biased, but look at the stats). Through 8 starts, Geinke and Roy Halladay are tied for the league lead in wins. However, Greinke's ERA tiny compared to Halladay's, who has a good era himself. Halladay's 2.97 - Greinke's .60 = 2.37 difference. Thats a lot. Greinke also leads the lead in walk & hits per inning, while Halladay ranks second. Also, there the matter of run support. The Blue Jays have scored a total of 221 runs through 38 games, while the Royals have scored 164 runs. A 57 run difference is almost a 1.5 run a game difference in the Blue Jays advantage. So, Greinke has done more with less so far, so he is the best pitcher atm this year. Overall, however, Roy Halladay's amazing body of work this year and every year makes him the best pitcher in baseball period.
                            dont count it by wins, santana is 5-2 with a 1.1something era, much better than halladay

Comment

• chazmaniandevil
                              Son of Hades
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dr. KC
                              True, I did not look at Santana's numbers yet. Right now, I admit he is looking a slight bit better then Halladay (Though I believe Halladay's competition is tougher then Santana) and he would be 6-2 if it wasn't for a BP implosion. But, Greinke is better then both of them atm, and I think he is here to stay as he's hitting his stride as a pitcher in his mid 20's. However, overall, I think Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball period right now because of his tendency to go deeper into games then Santana, though Santana strikes out more guys. Besides the strikeouts and the era (which, if you ignore some of Halladay's "off" years, there era numbers are actually quite similar). There is also the fact that Halladay has walked less batters then Santana in his career while he has pitched 2 more seasons and about 300 more innings.
                              santana should be 8-0, both of his losses he didnt give up any er's

dont count your eggs before they hatch about greinke, to every tim lincecum there is a dontrelle willis

Comment

• DaaBoTownSox
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by .RoCkEtS1
                                Who would you say is the best and most skilled pitcher in the MLB now.

I would say Johan Santana although many disagree.
                                I'm going to have to say Roy Halladay. The guy is consistent year in and year out and plays in the toughest division in baseball.

ACCSportsNation.com - A Tradition of Excellence...Then, Now, And Always!

Comment

Working...