X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfbmike
    Goat****er
    • Nov 2008

2005 NBA Draft

The #1 Source For Real NBA Players With A Splash of Hilarious Satire! LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Durant are just a few of those featured!

Was searching for a pic of Granger on google images and stumbled upon this. I love looking at past drafts. Granger was drafted all the way at 17. Major steal?

Anyway, look at the studs drafted before him. Ike Diogu, Fran Vazquez?, Yaroslav Korolev?

And of course, the notorious Marvin Williams before Chris Paul selection. It's so incredible how a draft/draft lottery completely changes the course of a team and of the entire league for years down the road. Butterfly effect to the max.
  • ralaw
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Vasquez was supposed to be really good, but he never wanted to come to the NBA and pretty much said as much before Orlando took him. I have to admit though I really didn't expect Granger to become as good as he is.He's one of those guys who it seems the NBA game suits them better than the college game.

Comment

• mfbmike
      Goat****er
      • Nov 2008

I don't think many people expected it out of Granger tbh. Pacers definitely got lucky.

Comment

• Gonzo
        Colts Supremicist
        • Dec 2008

What a shitty draft imo.

However, I did always love Julius Hodge in college ball; glad he made the great transition to being a pro

Comment

• FirstTimer
          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Gonzo
          What a shitty draft imo.

However, I did always love Julius Hodge in college ball; glad he made the great transition to being a pro
          Shitty draft?

No way IMO.

Sure Bogut hasn't been a star but he's solid.

Marvin Williams hasn't lived up to expectations but he's still a good player.

Then you have: Paul, Williams, Charlie V, Frye, Bynum, McCants, Granger, N. Robinson, Garcia, Maxiell, Kleiza, Lee.

That's a solid 1st Rd IMO. Far from shitty.

Comment

• Len B
            :moonwalk:
            • Oct 2008

Yeah, no way that was a shitty draft. THIS was a shitty draft:

Comment

• FirstTimer
              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Yeah that and the 1986 draft are two of the worst in recent memory.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                Beautiful Like Moses
                • Oct 2008

Yeah ive pointed out abt that 2000 draft before. Most noteably about the Bulls having 5 picks, all in the early 1st and 2nd round, and not even drafting a decent player out of all those picks. Brutal!

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
                  Yeah ive pointed out abt that 2000 draft before. Most noteably about the Bulls having 5 picks, all in the early 1st and 2nd round, and not even drafting a decent player out of all those picks. Brutal!
                  Fizer had some promise until he blew out his knee but never really had a position in the NBA. And Crawford wasn't bad for us. He was basically a taller Ben Gordon. Electric scorer at times and nothing else..then we traded him away.

Still a putrid draft though when you even have Fizer adn Crawford in the convo as some of the better prospects/players.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                    Beautiful Like Moses
                    • Oct 2008

Well, in technicality the Bulls drafted Mihm.. but yeah I kinda overlooked that pick turning into Crawford instead.

Its funner to just say it was Mihm.. makes the draft look even worse.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Well, in technicality the Bulls drafted Mihm.. but yeah I kinda overlooked that pick turning into Crawford instead.

Its funner to just say it was Mihm.. makes the draft look even worse.
                      Well yeah but they took Mihm with the understanding the Cavs wanted him and would take Crawford to give to the Bulls.

IIRC the way the NBA Draft trades work is the trades aren't announced until after the picks have been made but he team have prearrnaged agreements on who they will take for the purposes of the trade.
                      Last edited by FirstTimer; 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                        Beautiful Like Moses
                        • Oct 2008

Yeah the same thing happened when the Raptors drafted Antwan Jamison and the Warriors drafted Vince Carter.

Dont really understand why things like this happen.. why wouldnt Toronto just take Vince Carter? Perhaps a contract thing.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Yeah the same thing happened when the Raptors drafted Antwan Jamison and the Warriors drafted Vince Carter.

Dont really understand why things like this happen.. why wouldnt Toronto just take Vince Carter? Perhaps a contract thing.

Maybe?

Just one of those odd rules the NBA Draft has I guess.

Behind the scenes though isn't the other team technically making the pick?

For example with the Tyrus Thomas LaMarcus Aldridge deal. Even though it was announced the Bulls took Aldridge wasn't the pick already traded and the Blazers were the one making the choice? Even though the trade wasn't formally announced until after Khryapa was taken in the 2nd Rd to fulfill the trade?

Or from that same draft. The Bulls and 76ers swung a deal where Sefolosha went 13th overall to the "76ers" even though the 76ers had agreed to trade the 13th pick for the 16th when the "Bulls" took Rodney Carney. Even though the commish announces it as the original positioned team making the pick the trade has already been agreed upon and the respective teams are making the picks(The Bulls made the 13th choice, the 76ers the 16th) and the deal is announced after both teams have selected.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                            Beautiful Like Moses
                            • Oct 2008

I dont know TBH.. just going by nbadraft.net it always has the originator of the pick picking the player, then trading the said player to the team.. rather than the exchange of the picks. So in technicality I guess Chicago drafted Chris Mihm.. altho in actuality they had planned to trade him to Cleveland. I guess it really doesnt matter anyways..

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                              Beautiful Like Moses
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mbuser
                              the consensus on draft day was that granger was a great pick at 17, but he fell in part because of where he went to school (bradley, then new mexico) and in part because of teams valuing "winners" (sean may, rashad mccants), "athleticism" (antoine wright, joey graham), and "euro potential" (fran vasquez, yaroslav korolev) over granger's very good overall skills. a number of GMs apparently weren't sold on granger having a high ceiling, but obviously they were wrong
                              Dont remind me about our wanting of "athleticism" that year cause we fucked up and missed out on Andre Iguodala and took Rafael Aroujou instead the year before. We were locked into Granger all draft I thought.. I was excited.. I had always been a fan. But we took Graham cause of his athletic upside and his so called "great defense". Yeah.. that worked out well. Pretty bad day for me as a Raptors fan.. my favourite player could've been on my favourite team and BALLING OUT doing it too.

Comment

Working...