X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ralaw
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Pippen versus Durant

Since the lockout has pretty much ended most NBA discussion lets discuss some arbitrary “what ifs”. I was playing NBA 2K12 and matched these guys up and I thought I’d ask the question here.

This isn’t a thread about who is better, because Durant is obviously a better offensive player, while Pippen is the greater defender and if I was building my team and I needed a go-to guy I'd take Durant. However, the point of this thread is defensively what do you guys think Pippen could do with Durant? We all know Durant can score from anywhere on the court and with his length he’d give Pippen fits. Given his ability and length Durant is a pretty weak post player, which as he gains strength I’m sure he’ll work on. On the other hand defensively Pippen was long, quick, strong and smart, so I think he’d give Durant his fair share of problems.
  • RosettaStoned
    Throbbing Tebowner
    • Oct 2008

Pippen >>>> Durant.
    So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

It'd be a really, really good matchup. Pippen was an elite defender and would probably give Durant fits but it's tough to defend Durant's jumper from anywhere on the court and provided Durant could establish a post game he'd probably do well against Pippen.
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Pippen would be too strong for Durant at this point. Sure Durant could get hot from the outside but at the end of the day I see Pippen dictating the matchup more over the sample size.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
          Throbbing Tebowner
          • Oct 2008

You're talking about one of the top players in NBA history, vs a scorer who has had a couple of good years.

GTFO.
          So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Also,

What defensive rules are we playing with? Pippen early to mid 90's era or today's?

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by RosettaStoned
              You're talking about one of the top players in NBA history, vs a scorer who has had a couple of good years.

GTFO.
              Yeah, that's not underrating Kevin Durant at all... he's 23.

He's not talking about matching up their careers, of course Pippen is the more accomplished, nobody said otherwise.

He's saying if they played against one another in their respective primes (which Durant is still 3-4 years from).

Durant is a huge matchup problem for anyone. Pippen is one of the better defenders of all-time and was able to match with a number of different styles. Pippen probably dictates the matchup but if Durant gets hot from the outside he would have a chance as well.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                Yeah, that's not underrating Kevin Durant at all... he's 23.

He's not talking about matching up their careers, of course Pippen is the more accomplished, nobody said otherwise.

He's saying if they played against one another in their respective primes (which Durant is still 3-4 years from).

Durant is a huge matchup problem for anyone. Pippen is one of the better defenders of all-time and was able to match with a number of different styles. Pippen probably dictates the matchup but if Durant gets hot from the outside he would have a chance as well.
                Yeah, but at that poitn is it truly Pippen failing on defense or just an elite player going into a zone regardless of who is on him? It's like the reverse of Bulls fans giving credit to Noah for causing Bosh to go 1-18...but then when Bosh stomps on Noah for the ECF games Bosh "was just hot".

Comment

• ralaw
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                  Also,

What defensive rules are we playing with? Pippen early to mid 90's era or today's?
                  Yeah, that would make a difference, as Pippen wouldn't be allowed to put his hands on him and push him around.

I really can't remember any player in todays NBA game giving Durant problems. However, there really isn't any player on the defensive level Pippen was either. I would like to think Pippen would give Durant problems, which I think he would, but I could still see Durant getting his 30 points, but maybe not as efficiently. Pippen was aided by great team defense too though, so Durant would probably run into some issues. I'd like to see Durant develop some strength and get into the post. If he could develop something similar to what Dirk has he'd be insane. However, I said the same thing about LeBron James too.

Comment

• FedEx227
                    Delivers
                    • Mar 2009

How has Durant matched up with LeBron? I don't recall seeing them match up against one another, not even sure if LeBron would have guarded him.

Just curious to see how guys that size (LeBron) look against Durant. Obviously, LeBron isn't the defender Pippen was physically they are similar.
                    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                      I really can't remember any player in todays NBA game giving Durant problems. However, there really isn't any player on the defensive level Pippen was either. I would like to think Pippen would give Durant problems, which I think he would, but I could still see Durant getting his 30 points, but maybe not as efficiently. Pippen was aided by great team defense too though, so Durant would probably run into some issues. I'd like to see Durant develop some strength and get into the post. If he could develop something similar to what Dirk has he'd be insane. However, I said the same thing about LeBron James too.
                      He may never get too strong, but he's still only 23. If by 25-26 he's this same size then it's an issue. Then again, looking at his build he's a skinny ass dude. You could tell Dwight Howard was going to grow into a hulking monster, Durant you can tell has a wirey-ish frame.

I think Durant is more committed to the game than LeBron is. In fact, I know he is. I think over time he'll develop a post game. The fact that LeBron hasn't really added much to his game at this point (outside of a more consistent 3pt shot) is really my disappointing aspect of LeBron's career.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Senser81
                        VSN Poster of the Year
                        • Feb 2009

Pippen would wipe the floor with Durant. Durant is a basketball player. Pippen is an athlete who played basketball. I would guess that Michael Cooper could shut down Durant, much less Pippen.

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

Not surprising that people here would really underrate Durant. After all everything in the NBA from 1998-Current is the worst at VSD/VSN.

Still though, Durant is a good ass player and is not a slouch defensively himself. We keep talking about Pippen's defensive vs. Durant's offense. How about Pippen's offense vs. Durant's defense? Defensive Win Shares last year put Durant at 3.3. Scottie Pippen at age 23? 3.3. Win Share wise Durant has already eclipsed Scottie Pippen with a 16.1 in 2010. Pippen's highest ever was 13.1 in 96-97.

I still think Pippen wins the matchup but wipe the floor is extreme. Durant is a hell of a ballplayer.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                            I still think Pippen wins the matchup but wipe the floor is extreme.
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLkzLgZ5wdY"]Scottie Pippen - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9Y-vqZsEo"]Manu Ginobili blocks kevin Durant!! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• GangstaE
                              No longer a noob
                              • Feb 2009

I think another questions is how good of a defender would pippen be if he played in today's rules? I feel like the rules now dampen how much pressure u can apply.

Comment

Working...