X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herm
    Boomshakalaka
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ralaw
    I watched the Stallworth interview and it really seemed like Stallworth although drunk wasn't sole responsible for this accident, however, Stallworth was drunk and killed a man nonetheless. IMO given the circumstances around this case a one year suspension is fair.
    Police and the family seem to agree, Jose Reyes according to the video ran out in front of an oncoming car.

I really hate that a man died, but I dont really think Stallworth is solely responsible here. I have no reason to take his side either he was a Vol.

When Goodell weighed everything he had to act severely since a life was lost though. I think Stallworth finds a job when he comes back if the Browns decide to sever ties. Donte is better than guys like Bobby Wade who sign 3 year 15 million dollar deals.
    Last edited by Herm; 08-13-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by OGBrandC
      Well, I wasn't expecting Donte to get a slap on the wrist since he was already on indefinite suspension from the league but a year long suspension seems a little much.

Under the old Commissioner, Leonard Little got 8 games. For the exact same crime. Now, the actual occurrences between what happened to Little and what happened with Stallworth are different of course. Stallworth complied with police, didn't run from the situation and basically got caught driving drunk & high and hitting a pedestrian who was drunk as well. Does it make the crime better that Donte stood up and admitted what happened? Not in the eyes of the Commish.

To put it mildly, Goddell is the biggest czar in professional sports right now. It's scary to know that Goddell feels at times he needs to be bigger than the United States Justice Department in order to prove a point. I can understand why Pacman got suspended for a year because he constantly kept fucking up. I can understand Chris Henry because like Pacman, he kept fucking up. Even Vick, I can understand for two reasons - he lied to Goddell in his face and two, he organized a criminal enterprise.

Frankly, Goddell wants the NFL to be dangerous and exciting on the field and for the players to act like model citizens off of it. Where was he when Matt Jones was caught with cocaine? And how the media basically swept the Big Ben story under the rug due to credibility issues? There's something going on with the league. I don't want to call race, but you see how light some sentences are under Goddell and how heavy others are.
      Good shit OGBrandC.

Comment

• Senser81
        VSN Poster of the Year
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by L337fleming
        You must be misunderstanding me. I am saying Donte Stallworth is like Farve and Hamilton because of his willingness to own up to his screw up.

Don't understand what you are trying to get at me with the KKK comment.
        i raised the race issue becasue it is there to be raised. a white ownership weilds power over a black constiuency. how is race not an issue in this? have you not read american history?

Comment

• Herm
          Boomshakalaka
          • Oct 2008

Well, I wasn't expecting Donte to get a slap on the wrist since he was already on indefinite suspension from the league but a year long suspension seems a little much.

Under the old Commissioner, Leonard Little got 8 games. For the exact same crime. Now, the actual occurrences between what happened to Little and what happened with Stallworth are different of course. Stallworth complied with police, didn't run from the situation and basically got caught driving drunk & high and hitting a pedestrian who was drunk as well. Does it make the crime better that Donte stood up and admitted what happened? Not in the eyes of the Commish.

To put it mildly, Goddell is the biggest czar in professional sports right now. It's scary to know that Goddell feels at times he needs to be bigger than the United States Justice Department in order to prove a point. I can understand why Pacman got suspended for a year because he constantly kept fucking up. I can understand Chris Henry because like Pacman, he kept fucking up. Even Vick, I can understand for two reasons - he lied to Goddell in his face and two, he organized a criminal enterprise.

Frankly, Goddell wants the NFL to be dangerous and exciting on the field and for the players to act like model citizens off of it. Where was he when Matt Jones was caught with cocaine? And how the media basically swept the Big Ben story under the rug due to credibility issues? There's something going on with the league. I don't want to call race, but you see how light some sentences are under Goddell and how heavy others are.
          In Goodells defense here its not like Donte Stallworth was a model NFL player, hes already been in the substance abuse program once and was charged with DUI and had THC in his system.

Comment

• ralaw
            Posts too much
            • Feb 2009

I don't understand people. What is it with people having issues with Goodell suspending players who engage in deviant behavior off the field? Given the spotlight and ridicule the NFL is under what player has he suspended unfairly? Why do people exaggerate Goodell's suspensions to the point of saying, "Goodell thinks he's bigger than the US Justice System" Are people this simple minded? Do people really believe Goodell as commisioner of the NFL thinks he's actually bigger than the US Justice System? Come on....

The issue here is that Goodell has to do something about players who involve themselves in off the field issues. I remember when Little killed that lady everyone was screaming how it wasn't fair, that Little should have been put in jail and that he didn't deserve to play in the NFL. They even made the obligatory and foolish comparison of, "If I did this I'd be in jail and I would have lost my job" Yet, now all of a sudden the Little case is the standard that everyone wants to compare to. Its obvious Stallworth is sorry for what he did...considering he was drunk at the time and killed someone this should be a given.
            Last edited by ralaw; 08-13-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Senser81
              VSN Poster of the Year
              • Feb 2009

Is Matt Jones a star? His case I don't see as too big of a deal. Big Ben? Yeah that should have gotten more attention but until some legal issues happen NFL does not get involved.

Vick, well that is an obvious case as to why he needs to be punished.

Pac-Man? Saying "I'm gonna make it rain" then someone gets paralyzed. Yeah intervention needed.

Tank Johnson? Arsenal of Assult weapons and charged with assult as well as gun possession multiple times. Yeah intervention needed.

Marshawn Lynch? Was shot in a mistaken identity gang act. Gets accused of sexual assault by his Girlfriend, no intervention. Then gets involved with a hit and run case. Later owns up to it. Few days after the pro bowl gets pulled over by police they find weed and a gun. Gun charges no drug charges. Yeah intervention needed here.

Donte Stallworth on the other hand, owned up to his horrible situation. I give him all the credit in the world for owning up and I still think the punishment is excessive.

Does this make the commissioner racist? No
              no one called goodell a racist.

Wether or not the discipline has been metted out equally, the preception of an unfair situtaion based on race can come into play no matter how the actions are actually carried out. Is there a racist overtone to Goodell being the czar of the NFL? That depends on who you ask. I personally don't think there is, but I am not nieve enough to think that it couldn't exist. The real irony is if if was a black man that was doing what Goodell is he would be called a race trader or uncle tom by some. The point of me bringing it up was to imply that when the CBA talks start anything can get in the way.

I feel like Goodell has done a great job actually, but i a m not one of the players either. A lot of these knuckle heads think since they have skated their whole life they can just whatever they want, and this personal conduct thing is perfect for that. A s for the Stallworth thing, i have stated my opinion, right or wrong, clearly so I wont go back over it.

Comment

• ralaw
                Posts too much
                • Feb 2009

The suspensions aren't what we're in slight uproar about. It's the length of the suspension itself. I mean, it's just piling on. Stallworth already has his Florida driver's license revoked, is on 10 years probation and is already on two years worth of house arrest. Did he really need to be suspended without pay for the whole year?
                I don't know..did he need to go out drunk to get some breakfast? The Justice System's handling of Stallworth or any other case has nothing to do with what the NFL should do. Is the logic the harsher the Justices System's punishment the lighter the NFL suspension should be?

Comment

• ralaw
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

What's light about a season long suspension? Half the season would have been fine.
                  I didn't say the Goodell's suspension was light. My point was that with your logic (ie. Stallworth already has his Florida driver's license revoked, is on 10 years probation and is already on two years worth of house arrest. Did he really need to be suspended without pay for the whole year?) you are saying harsher the Justices System's punishment the lighter the NFL suspension should be.

Forget it, why do 8...why not just give him 4 or maybe nothing....he was remorseful...right? and the Justice System did give him 10 years probation and is already on two years worth of house arrest....etc ....right?
                  Last edited by ralaw; 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• SHOGUN
                    4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
                    • Jul 2009

What's light about a season long suspension? Half the season would have been fine.
                    A year with no pay > Extended time in federal prison.

Stallworth got off light in the grand scheme of things.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Senser81
                      VSN Poster of the Year
                      • Feb 2009

Okay, my apologies. I thought at first you were calling me racist and then Goodell a racist.

I can see how all these suspensions could become an issue in the CBA but as far as I have heard the Players Association has had no real objection to the suspensions that have been handed down.
                      Dude, I'm just messing with you.

Here is some good bathroom reading material:

Comment

• Herm
                        Boomshakalaka
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tomato Ketchup
                        A year with no pay > Extended time in federal prison.

Stallworth got off light in the grand scheme of things.
                        He had it "easy" in prison as well being in solitary confinement instead of being in the buttrape population who wants to fight a NFL star to get their rocks off.

Comment

• bucky
                          #50? WTF?
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                          Dude, I'm just messing with you.

Here is some good bathroom reading material:

http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com/...ad.php?t=28584
                          I remember having read that somewhere, almost word for word, about MV. Now I know where it was. Kinda funny watching people post in this thread that hadn't read steel's tantrum.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

I'm out of THANKS.

This thread is gold

Comment

• steeljake
                              6 rings...
                              • Oct 2008

stallworth got a fair punishment. in this case the legal system gave him 30 days and house arrest form manslaughter. the league has to suspened him for at least a year.

and next you want to plagerize at least use the quote feature senser.
                              Last edited by steeljake; 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM.

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• Senser81
                                VSN Poster of the Year
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by steeljake75
                                and next you want to plagerize at least use the quote feature senser.
                                thanks, it goes right along with your i am so bad ass i shit on everything cuz it makes my career at mcdonalds seem less pathetic routine.

Comment

Working...