X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Champ
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Official New York Giants Forum Thread

We going to return in 2008 going for that chip.

• Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Champ
    We going to return in 2008 going for that chip.
    Chips ahoy!

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Champ
      Needs a hobby
      • Oct 2008

Lol at jags fans.

Comment

• Champ
        Needs a hobby
        • Oct 2008

Jerry Reese Speaks at NFL Combine

February 22, 2009 – 8:49 am

Fred Robbins Has Knee Surgery - Photo by William Hauser

General Manager Jerry Reese’s Press Conference at the NFL Combine:
        The transcript of General Manager Jerry Reese’s press conference at the NFL Combine from yesterday is available at Giants.com. The video of the press conference is also available.

Robbins and Cofield Have Knee Surgeries:
        General Manager Jerry Reese said yesterday that both starting defensive tackles, Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield, have undergone scopes on their knees recently.

“We expect them to be okay,” Reese said. “I hope it’s nothing major. I’m not a doctor. We’ll see where they are this off-season, but they should be fine for the season…But the knee is a funny thing, so you never know.”

Reese also said he believes DE Justin Tuck will not need knee surgery. “Right now, I don’t think he’s going to have surgery,” said Reese. “He played pretty well in the Pro Bowl. He looked like he was healthy, so I think it’s going to be one of those situations where he needs some rest and during the off-season I think he’ll get healthy. I don’t think surgery is an option for him right now.”

Giants Make Contingencies For Life Without Burress:
        After General Manager Jerry Reese’s press conference yesterday, he said the Giants will prepare for the 2009 season under the assumption WR Plaxico Burress may not be with the team due to legal issues surrounding his two felony gun charges.

“We’ll prepare as if he’s not going to be here,” Reese said. “We have a couple of game plans. We’re going to prepare as if he’s not going to be with us. And if he’s with us, that’s a bonus. If he’s not, we’ll move in (different) directions without him.”

“I hope he’s motivated, but the legal process is what’s important right now and his health is what’s important right now,” Reese said. “I’m assuming he wants to be back - I don’t know why he wouldn’t - but a lot of things have to work out before that happens. I don’t know what the league will do as far as suspension stuff.”

“He’s healthy and ready to go,” said Reese. “He’s all healed up; his hamstring is well.”

Giants Like Nicks?:
        According to The Star-Ledger, the Giants are apparently interested possibly drafting WR Hakeem Nicks (North Carolina) in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Comment

• Leftwich
          Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

If I'm the Giants, I take Heyward-Bey over Nicks. Nicks might have the hands but Heyward-Bey can stretch the hell out of the field.

Originally posted by Tailback U
          It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

What is Chedder Bob Burris' legal situation?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
              True Blue
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Firsttimer
              What is Chedder Bob Burris' legal situation?
              he has to go back to court in april or somewhere around there.

Comment

• Champ
                Needs a hobby
                • Oct 2008

Giants Re-Sign Brandon Jacobs; BBI Free Agency Preview
                February 26, 2009 – 6:49 am

Brandon Signs 4-Year Deal - Photo by William Hauser

Giants Re-Sign Brandon Jacobs: The Giants officially announced yesterday that they have re-signed HB Brandon Jacobs. The Giants had slapped the franchise tag on Jacobs on February 13th in order to prevent other teams from pursuing him free agency, which begins on Friday.

According to press reports, the contract is a 4-year, $25 million deal that includes $13 million in guaranteed money. Jacobs will also reportedly receive $15 million of the deal within the first two years of the contract. The deal supposedly saves the Giants $1.1 million in cap space in 2009 as Jacobs would have otherwise been due $6.621 million as franchised running back.

“Both parties are happy to get a long-term deal done,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “Now Brandon can totally concentrate on the offseason program and get himself ready to go this fall.”

“Brandon is ecstatic to continue his career with the New York Giants,” said Jacobs’ agent. “We appreciate the Giants’ investment in Brandon and especially acknowledge the effort put in by (Assistant General Manager) Kevin Abrams. We’re excited to keep Brandon in Giants’ blue for years to come.”

“I was confident all along that this was going to get done – I didn’t panic one bit,” Jacobs said. “I know the reason we did it the way we did; I knew I was going to be here. I was super-confident and I am here. I’m happy about it. This team is full of young talent. We brought some great talent in here the last two years and those guys are still learning and getting better. Our offensive line is great and will continue to be great. There are a lot of young guys on our team that are still playing great, great football. I’m looking for big things out of our football team next year.”

Jacobs will address the press today at a 10:00AM conference call.

Haynesworth Mentions Giants?: Soon-to-be unrestricted free agent DT Albert Haynesworth reportedly told The Tennessean that the Redskins, Buccaneers, and Giants are teams that he could possibly sign with once free agency starts. Media reports have circulated that Haynesworth is expected to sign with the Redskins so this may simply be a case of posturing (i.e., driving up the Redskins asking price) on the part of Haynesworth and his agent.

Giants Not Interested in WR Marvin Harrison?: According to Newsday, sources with the Giants and the NFL have told the paper that the Giants are not interested in WR Marvin Harrison, who was recently released by the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday.

BBI Free Agency Preview: Our 2009 free agency preview, entitled 2009 Free Agency and the Giants, is available in the Free Agency section of the website. http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/fr...nd-the-giants/

Comment

• Champ
                  Needs a hobby
                  • Oct 2008

James Butler-DB- Giants Feb. 27 - 4:09 am et
                  In addition to G/C Jason Brown, the Rams will host free agent SS James Butler for a visit on Friday.
                  New Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo developed a high opinion of Butler when the two were together in New York. The team has a glaring need at strong safety.

Derrick Ward-RB- Giants Feb. 26 - 4:02 pm et

Giants GM Jerry Reese isn't ruling out a last-minute contract agreement with free agent Derrick Ward.
                  "Never say never with Derrick Ward," he said. "It’s not over. A lot of things can happen. You never know what will happen. Derrick Ward is not gone yet."
                  Source: Newsday

Plaxico Burress-WR- Giants Feb. 26 - 3:09 pm et
                  A day after signing his $25 million extension, Brandon Jacobs reiterated that he wants the Giants to bring back Plaxico Burress.
                  "We have to hope Plaxico Burress gets out of all the issues he has...legally," Jacobs said. "If he can get out of that, we can bring him back and I think that is basically all we need. The sky is the limit for him." The Giants seem open to retaining Plax, but felony gun charges remain his No. 1 obstacle.
                  Source: Associated Press

Comment

• Champ
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Oct 2008

Michael Boley-LB-Falcons Feb. 27 - 4:07 am et
                    SI.com's Peter King reports the Giants are poised to offer free agent OLB Michael Boley a contract worth $5 million a year Friday.
                    We're not sure this will get it done. While Boley lost his starting job in Atlanta last season and playing for the Giants would appeal to anyone, he's arguably worth more. Boley is a Pro Bowl defender when utilized correctly.

Comment

• Champ
                      Needs a hobby
                      • Oct 2008

Giants Officially Sign LB Michael Boley: The Giants officially announced yesterday that they have signed unrestricted free agent LB Michael Boley (Atlanta Falcons). According to press reports, the contract is a 5-year, $25 million deal that includes $11 million in guaranteed money. Boley’s visit with the Giants began on Friday and continued yesterday.

The Giants say Boley will play weakside linebacker. “We see him as a (weakside linebacker),” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin. “With Michael Boley, we’ve addressed a position of need. We feel we have brought to the New York Giants an athletic, versatile linebacker. He’s a guy that has not been used a lot in blitzing or pressure, because they’ve used him in coverage. He can cover, but we think we can take advantage of his speed. He is fast and athletic. I think we can call upon him to be involved in coverage and to be a pressure linebacker. He’s also a special teams player; he played on the punt team and the punt return team, so we know we can get good value out of that…I think we’ve helped ourselves today.”

“Michael is a three-down player who is durable and athletic,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “He is a fast playmaker who can play both (strongside) and (weakside linebacker). Michael will immediately upgrade our speed on defense.”

“I’m excited,” Boley said. “It’s a new beginning. This is a great team and a great organization. I’m looking forward to getting started here.”

Boley played mainly on the strongside in Atlanta. “It’s a different feel,” said Boley. “I did a lot of blitzing in college. In Atlanta, I played the (weakside) in our sub package. I think it’s going to be great for me. If the coaches want me to blitz, I’ll blitz. If they want me to cover, I’ll cover. Doing all those different things is going to be great.”

“It’s really going to be different,” Boley said. “I’ve never lived up north before. It’s going to take some adjusting to get used to. I came up here once some years ago; my mom is a nurse and she was up here working for a couple of months. That’s the only time I’ve been to New York. I liked it, going to see the sights and the different things in the city.”

“As soon as (the offseason program gets) started (on March 16th), I’ll be here,” Boley said. “I want to come in and get to work. It’s a new team and I want to get here early and get a jump on things. We have to get better. It’s a whole new season coming up and a lot of teams have been getting better already.”

“Once he knew he was leaving Atlanta, he knew the Giants were the team he wanted to play for,” said Boley’s agent. “He loved them as a kid and watched L.T. (Lawrence Taylor) and (Carl) Banks and all those guys, so that’s where he wanted to be.”

Giants Officially Sign DT Rocky Bernard: The Giants officially announced yesterday that they have signed unrestricted free agent DT Rocky Bernard (Seattle Seahawks). The Star-Ledger is reporting that the deal is a 4-year, $16 million contract. Bernard’s visit with the Giants began on Friday and he spent all day with the team yesterday.

“He’s a veteran defensive tackle with skins on the wall,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “He plays hard, he’s stout against the run and he has to be accounted for as a pass rusher. We’re happy to have Rocky on board in our defensive tackle rotation.”

“I was looking for a fresh start,” said Bernard. “Last year (with the 4-12 Seahawks) was really rough – it was so frustrating. I thought a change of scenery would be good. I’m really, really excited to be coming to the Giants. I wanted to go to a team that has had a lot of success and has a really good defense. That’s what the Giants have. It feels good to be part of a great organization. They’re a good football team.”

“I still have a lot of good football to play,” said Bernard, who turns 30 in April. “I’m looking forward to getting there and helping that defense…I’ll start to get to know everyone in the offseason program. I want to get in there and get to work. I’m looking forward to (being a Giant).”

DT/DE Chris Canty Visiting With Giants: As reported yesterday, unrestricted free agent DT/DE Chris Canty (Dallas Cowboys) arrived yesterday to begin his visit with the Giants. Newsday is reporting that despite signing DT Rocky Bernard, the Giants remain interested in possibly signing Canty and that Canty will continue to meet with the Giants today.

DE Antonio Smith Signs With Texans: It had been reported that the Giants were interested in unrestricted free agent DE Antonio Smith (Arizona Cardinals) and asked him to visit. However, Smith signed a 5-year, $35 million contract with the Texans yesterday.

Latest on HB Derrick Ward: Unrestricted free agent HB Derrick Ward (New York Giants) has visited the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles. He is next scheduled to visit with the Denver Broncos.

Comment

• Juggernaut
                        Sitting on the Sidelines
                        • Dec 2008

Giants have had the best FA so far because of the Haynesworth snub

we signed 3 good defensive players instead of his lazy ass

Comment

• kmanharris
                          Seven
                          • Oct 2008

Canty is good but he wasn't worth that contact

Comment

• Juggernaut
                            Sitting on the Sidelines
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kmanharris
                            Canty is good but he wasn't worth that contact
                            I agree, yet it was a good move in order to keep our D-Line as the best in the leauge. Him and Bernard as backups make our d line the best by far.

Comment

• Lumpkin
                              Lets go Mets
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Juggernaut
                              I agree, yet it was a good move in order to keep our D-Line as the best in the leauge. Him and Bernard as backups make our d line the best by far.
                              QFT. D-line is going to be legit this year especially with Osi coming back. My big concern right now is getting a WR, whoever it maybe, that can come in and make an instant impact.

Comment

Working...