X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shayn•Da•Pain
    Laughs Unlimited
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
    That Harrison play was SO BIG.. Santonio Holmes still won the Super Bowl MVP award.
    I didn't realize SB MVP's were handed out for the best play of the game rather than an entire games performance.

Holmes: 9 rec, 131 yds, TD
    Harrison: 3 tackles, 1 int, 1 td

stupid point.
    sigpic

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
      Laughs Unlimited
      • Nov 2008

Too many people have their panties twisted in a bunch about my choice for Harrison's play being the best ever. Dust the sand out of your vag and move on.

I'm not the only person who's ever said Harrison's play is the best ever, so it's not a wack statement. Maybe not the popular opinion but I'm sticking with it. And if it were just a homer statement I'd most likely list Holmes over Tyree's catch, which I don't. Some of you guys are taking this too seriously. keep groaning like a 12 year old girl with cramps.
      sigpic

Comment

• SethMode
        Master of Mysticism
        • Feb 2009

Alright, without getting into too much of a scuffle with the Steeler hating rabble that has been roused by some of the more foolish pro-Steelers arguments, I'll just say this:

Holmes catch was more exciting than Harrison's run. But for people to try and take away from everything that happened on that play is crazy. I understand at this point it's just to rebuke ludicrous claims in its favor, but it was a 100 yard INT return that was fucking spectacular. If you were watching and sat back and just said "Oh, no biggie, it's just an TAINT, we see those all the time in the regular season" I would call you a liar.

Now, personally, I think the Holmes catch and the Tyree catch are my top two favorite SB plays. Depending on how you look at them, I think you can make arguments for both being the best. Based on sheer "what the fuck"ness, Tyree's catch is without question the most insane thing I have ever seen. But it was also complete and utter luck. Now, you have to get lucky to win big games and by saying it was luck, I'm discounting him. I'm just saying, you can't pull that off due to fantastic play, you pull that off by desperately grasping for the ball and praying.

Holmes catch was a perfect throw and a perfect route in a situation where it was do or die. The ball was put in the only place where Holmes could get it and no one else could, and he pulled off just a spectacular tight-rope act. Skill wise, a much better play I think. Pure excitement, and most likely, memorability, Tyree wins.

But let's get Harrison out of the equation, please. It was a fantastic play, and based on some of those in the top 10 on that list, could make a personal top 10. But I don't think that a play with one entire half left of football can compare to spectacular catches in the last 2 minutes.
        Last edited by SethMode; 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
          Laughs Unlimited
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by SethMode
          Alright, without getting into too much of a scuffle with the Steeler hating rabble that has been roused by some of the more foolish pro-Steelers arguments, I'll just say this:

Holmes catch was more exciting than Harrison's run. But for people to try and take away from everything that happened on that play is crazy. I understand at this point it's just to rebuke ludicrous claims in its favor, but it was a 100 yard INT return that was fucking spectacular. If you were watching and sat back and just said "Oh, no biggie, it's just an TAINT, we see those all the time in the regular season" I would call you a liar.

Now, personally, I think the Holmes catch and the Tyree catch are my top two favorite SB plays. Depending on how you look at them, I think you can make arguments for both being the best. Based on sheer "what the fuck"ness, Tyree's catch is without question the most insane thing I have ever seen. But it was also complete and utter luck. Now, you have to get lucky to win big games and by saying it was luck, I'm discounting him. I'm just saying, you can't pull that off due to fantastic play, you pull that off by desperately grasping for the ball and praying.

Holmes catch was a perfect throw and a perfect route in a situation where it was do or die. The ball was put in the only place where Holmes could get it and no one else could, and he pulled off just a spectacular tight-rope act. Skill wise, a much better play I think. Pure excitement, and most likely, memorability, Tyree wins.

But let's get Harrison out of the equation, please. It was a fantastic play, and based on some of those in the top 10 on that list, could make a personal top 10. But I don't think that a play with one entire half left of football can compare to spectacular catches in the last 2 minutes.
          Very fair and I like your respectful approach. +rep

edit: Quick question, do you think then that the best play ever has to be last minute? Could a play made at the end of the half ever in your mind be considered better than the Holmes or Tyree catch?
          Last edited by Shayn•Da•Pain; 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hasselbeck
            Jus' bout dat action boss
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ShaynDaPain
            I didn't realize SB MVP's were handed out for the best play of the game rather than an entire games performance.

Holmes: 9 rec, 131 yds, TD
            Harrison: 3 tackles, 1 int, 1 td

stupid point.
            Um not really.

Holmes earned the MVP, not only for the yards, but his last and biggest catch of the game.

If the final score were 13-3 or something.. Harrison's INT return would have been the biggest play of the game and the decisive reason behind the Steelers victory.

It wasn't. Santonio Holmes catch was. So not only was Harrison's return NOT the best play in Super Bowl history.. you could easily argue it wasn't even the best play in that game.

No one is taking away from how difficult it is for a linebacker to pick off a quarterback, much less a HOF QB in Warner.. rumble 100 yards and score.. but the Cardinals DID rally back and take the lead. That INT return didn't change the whole game.. not even close.

Tyree's catch was HUGE.. and was easily the key play made by the Giants on the drive to end the Patriots run at perfection.

That's what FT and others are trying to hammer into your head.
            Originally posted by ram29jackson
            I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
              Laughs Unlimited
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
              Um not really.

Holmes earned the MVP, not only for the yards, but his last and biggest catch of the game.

If the final score were 13-3 or something.. Harrison's INT return would have been the biggest play of the game and the decisive reason behind the Steelers victory.

It wasn't. Santonio Holmes catch was. So not only was Harrison's return NOT the best play in Super Bowl history.. you could easily argue it wasn't even the best play in that game.

No one is taking away from how difficult it is for a linebacker to pick off a quarterback, much less a HOF QB in Warner.. rumble 100 yards and score.. but the Cardinals DID rally back and take the lead. That INT return didn't change the whole game.. not even close.

Tyree's catch was HUGE.. and was easily the key play made by the Giants on the drive to end the Patriots run at perfection.
              Ok you're never going to change my mind on the impact of that play on how each team approached the second half, and on how that played out. Holmes got the MVP not just for the game winning TD, but for the big plays he was making on the last drive. The SB MVP trophy is out of this discussion because we're talking about one play not the entire game. Holmes>>>Harrison all game long. Harrison had 1 important play, Holmes had many important plays. Apples and oranges man.

That's what FT and others are trying to hammer into your head.
              I was going to go into great detail about this, but it doesn't matter. Harrison's play had a gigantic impact on the way both teams approached the second half. The Steelers played it tight and conservative save for the 3rd down attempts and such, too conservative IMO. That allowed the Cards to work their way back into the game. If it were not for our o-line donating penalties trying to give away the game it wouldn't have come down to Holmes last minute heroics. That still doesn't change the fact that Harrison's play was a game changer. Every play counts, every play. It's as simple as that. And don't try to act like I don't know the impact of Tyree's 3rd and 5 conversion or Holmes last minute catch, because I do.
              Last edited by Shayn•Da•Pain; 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...