• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jeffx
    ...and don't forget James Brooks.
    James Brooks was one of my favorite players of all-time. He was really tough for a small guy. I remember a long run he had for the Bengals where he held up the #1 sign for the last 50 yards of his run. Bad ass.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

I had a computer game for the Apple II back in the day, I have no idea what it was called, but it was based off of the 1982 season If I recall. It was not a NFL endorsed product, it was one of those early 80's hackjobs that made the rounds. You would call the plays, make the subs, and little x's and o's would simulate the plays. Anyway, I always used the Chargers. Lionel "Little Train" James was unstoppable, total cheese. Dan Fouts would always get injured, and Wes Chandler would average like 40 yards per catch. I'd play the shit out of that game for hours, I doubt it could hold my attention for 10 minutes now.

Comment

• jeffx
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
        James Brooks was one of my favorite players of all-time. He was really tough for a small guy. I remember a long run he had for the Bengals where he held up the #1 sign for the last 50 yards of his run. Bad ass.
        Oh yeah, one of the fastest mfers I've seen on a football field. Funny, he was only with San Diego from '81-'83.

Air Coryell was fun to watch, but damn, they had three straight sickening playoff losses. In '79 they lost to a Houston team(without Pastorini or Campbell), '80 they lost to the eventual champion Raiders, and '81 they lost the brutal cold-weather game to Cincinnati(after playing a classic OT game against Miami the week before).

Comment

• Senser81
          VSN Poster of the Year
          • Feb 2009

Another awesome performance by the Bears offense. I'm thinking the Bears might finish the year 4-12. I don't understand why the Bears don't use Forte and Taylor more, because they are the two best players on offense. It looks like the Bears wasted a lot of money signing Taylor, because he rarely sees the field. He actually got more PT in Minnesota.

Two things I heard after the Bears game...first, the Bears have yet to convert a 3rd down in the month of October. Second, the names of the plays in Martz's offense are so long that it prevents the Bears from using audibles, because it would take too long to call a new play. This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard (if true), and is yet another huge difference between Martz and Coryell. Coryell's offense was very simple...numbers corresponded to pass routes and it was very easy to call plays.

Comment

• Tailback U
            No substitute 4 strength.
            • Nov 2008

Another awesome performance by the Bears offense. I'm thinking the Bears might finish the year 4-12. I don't understand why the Bears don't use Forte and Taylor more, because they are the two best players on offense. It looks like the Bears wasted a lot of money signing Taylor, because he rarely sees the field. He actually got more PT in Minnesota.

Two things I heard after the Bears game...first, the Bears have yet to convert a 3rd down in the month of October. Second, the names of the plays in Martz's offense are so long that it prevents the Bears from using audibles, because it would take too long to call a new play. This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard (if true), and is yet another huge difference between Martz and Coryell. Coryell's offense was very simple...numbers corresponded to pass routes and it was very easy to call plays.
            Bears are 29th in total yards per game (285 per game), 28th in 1st downs per game (14.8), 21st in PPG (18.7).

What's funny is that they are +2 in the turnover category.

Have to disagree with everyone saying the Bears are going to make the playoffs just because of their division. I see GB beating them at Lambeau in week 17 and the Vikings sweeping them and Detroit getting them as well.

Here's my prediction for the rest of the Bears season:

@ Wash - Loss
            @ Buf - Win
            Vs. Min - Loss
            Vs. Phi - Loss
            @ Det - Loss
            Vs. NE - Loss
            @ Min - Loss
            Vs. NYJ - Loss
            @ GB - Loss

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

The most disturbing thinng about Sunday was the fact that Seattle hadn't gotten to the QB all year.

I also go back to the puzzling decision to add nothing to the offense in the offseason aside from a backup RB. I've posted many times that there were no less than 6 former Martz WR's available in free agency. Its a hard system for WR's to learn and the Bears group is weak to begin with. Also, allowing Jay Cutler to play GM and nix bringing in Marc Bulger was an obvious mistake when you watch Todd Collins attempt to play QB these days. Iim not sure what Cutler was so inseecure about, because Bulger isn't taking anyones job in 2010, but he's a massive upgrade from what they have on the bench. The Bears literally have no backup QB.

Comment

• Senser81
                VSN Poster of the Year
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                I also go back to the puzzling decision to add nothing to the offense in the offseason aside from a backup RB.
                From what I remember, the Bears were concerned that Forte wouldn't be able to return from injury 100%, so they brought in Taylor expecting Taylor to be the starter. But when Forte actually looked really good in camp and preseason, the Bears were kind of stuck with Taylor. Not that it really matters, because Martz has yet to find a way to utilize Forte so I think Taylor would have been a waste of money even if he were the starting RB.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                  Jus' bout dat action boss
                  • Feb 2009

The play of the week was Martz dialing up a 7-step drop on the Bears own 5 yard line leading to a Seattle safety (and nearly a defensive TD as the fumble had the luckiest bounce in the world).

I think Mike Martz is the only person in the free world that believes the Bears OL is good.
                  Originally posted by ram29jackson
                  I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Rush
                    vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

Todd Collins w/ Martz = 6 completions to Bears, 4 completions to Panthers, 32 yards, sacked twice.

Shaun Hill w/o Martz = 227 yards, 3 TDs, 117 rating

Alex Smith w/o Martz = 309 yards, 3 TDs, 92 rating

Hmm....
                    Caleb Hanie should have been in that role. Bears were hoping for a '07 Collins from Washington and they got a postmortem Chris Chandler.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                      Posts too much
                      • Feb 2009

You need to get back to the glory days.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                        Noob
                        • Nov 2008

No doubt. 25 catches, 786 yards, 31.4 average, 10 TDs....who wouldn't want that in their offense?

I want that jersey

Comment

• Senser81
                          VSN Poster of the Year
                          • Feb 2009

I don't know if this is even worth commenting anymore.

Pros:

Bears went 2-10 on 3rd downs, converting their first 3rd down since mid-September

Cons:

Jay Cutler's leading receiver was Deangelo Hall, who had 4 catches for 92 yards and a TD.

Seriously, this is one of the worst offenses I've ever seen. Mike Martz should have submitted his resignation after the game.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                            Jus' bout dat action boss
                            • Feb 2009

I don't know if this is even worth commenting anymore.

Pros:

Bears went 2-10 on 3rd downs, converting their first 3rd down since mid-September

Cons:

Jay Cutler's leading receiver was Deangelo Hall, who had 4 catches for 92 yards and a TD.

Seriously, this is one of the worst offenses I've ever seen. Mike Martz should have submitted his resignation after the game.
                            He's genius though Senser.. remember that.

Forget the fact Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Issac Bruce in his prime probably made that offense much better than Martz ever actually did..
                            Originally posted by ram29jackson
                            I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
                              Laughs Unlimited
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
                              He's genius though Senser.. remember that.

Forget the fact Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Issac Bruce in his prime probably made that offense much better than Martz ever actually did..
                              Don't forget Ricky Proehl and Az-hir akheem...I'm just sayin

But seriously, any bum off the streets could have game planned for those guys and won the title of genius. I hate Martz.
                              sigpic

Comment

• mcstl25
                                M-Castle
                                • Feb 2009

The success of Martz in St. Louis had a huge influnce on Lovie getting the head coaching job in Chicago. Eight years later, Martz's failures will lead to Lovie's firing. Oh the irony.

It will be intersting to see how the Martz lovers will spin things this year when he's fired from yet another OC job.

Comment

Working...