X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Killa Pand
    That's not true at all, I've heard people legitimately suggest 32 or 64 team playoff fields. That would be beyond terrible.
    That's just not realistic.

But i'd still take it over the BCS.

I'd rather go back to the old bowl system than use the BCS method. Both are ridiculous and fail to deliver a real champion. At least the old way had tradition.

Comment

• nesper
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fox1994
      Were TCU, Boise, and Utah perennial contenders before the 2000s? The MAC and C-USA can be good one day. (Not saying they are now, but anything's possible...)

Perhaps LSU could be one of the five at-larges. Maybe everyone else goes to bowl games. It's not going to matter until they decide to implement a playoff system.
      It's not possible for the mac to be good the majority of the schools are located in 2 states and none of those schools are even top 3 in their own state. Eastern michigan for example maintains its FBS status by virtue of alumni buying up tickets they dont use and donating them so they can maintain the required 15,000 avg attendance. grand valley a div 2 school is arguably the 3rd most popular team in the state football wise.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Purdue would beat FIU in a game, but let's go ahead and implement a system where they make the playoffs.
        If the Sun Belt or whoever else cant be invited to the party, then stop pretending they are playing on the same level. Let the Big 6 legues split from the others and be done with it. Otherwise, those teams deserve to be included.

Comment

• Bear Pand
          RIP Indy Colts
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          If the Sun Belt or whoever else cant be invited to the party, then stop pretending they are playing on the same level. Let the Big 6 legues split from the others and be done with it. Otherwise, those teams deserve to be included.
          I wish they'd do this. I hate the charade that every team has a shot, when clearly it's "Every BCS team or non-BCS team that was lucky enough to start with a high enough preseason ranking."

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Anyone who reads that article and still supports the BCS is a raging lunatic.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Anyone who reads that article and still supports the BCS is a raging lunatic.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                Noob
                • Nov 2008

I don't like Dan Wetzel because every year he pimps his playoff system idea which IMO is worse than what we have now.

It's a 16 team field where every conference champ makes it, with 5 at large teams. I'm sorry but that's fucking terrible and I hope if/when a playoff system is implemented it's nothing like that. Let's face it, no one cares who wins the Sun Belt / MAC / CUSA. Putting those teams in the mix just makes for unnecessary games where players on legitimately good teams can possibly get injured. I'd love to see Newton go down with a knee injury in a playoff matchup against FIU.
                a 1A conference is a 1A conference- or whatever stupid name you give them.
                if you can beat them, you go do it. Dont whine about the talent level

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                  Jus' bout dat action boss
                  • Feb 2009

I wish they'd do this. I hate the charade that every team has a shot, when clearly it's "Every BCS team or non-BCS team that was lucky enough to start with a high enough preseason ranking."
                  Agreed. In fact I don't even watch the NCAA basketball tournament until the Elite 8 starts.. because they're the only teams deserving to be there and with a shot to win it all.

What a load of bullshit.

Yeah Oregon would likely get by Troy.. just like Duke gets by Western Texas State in the 1/16 matchup every year. Still doesn't mean it's a bad system. It's fair.. and hell, maybe these low level conferences would actually start to get legit talent since players would go "I have a shot to win down in the Mountain West, WAC, Conf. USA, etc etc"

I don't see what's so bad about a 16 team playoff where every conference champ gets in plus 5 at large opponents.
                  Originally posted by ram29jackson
                  I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                    Posts too much
                    • Feb 2009

I'd like 8 teams. Make up one poll of coaches and writers and the top 8 in that make it.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                      RIP Indy Colts
                      • Feb 2009

Please.

1 seeds have a 100% winrate against 16 seeds.
                      2 seeds have a 96% winrate against 15 seeds.

Those are complete wastes of games. LOL at anyone getting pumped up about Oregon vs FIU or Northern Illinois vs Auburn.

16 teams is way too many, especially if you're going to fill 3-4 of the spots with deadweight teams that have 0 chance of actually winning.

And lol at players going down to the Conference USA because they'd have a legit shot at winning. This doesn't happen in college basketball. It also doesn't happen in football at poor programs in BCS conferences. Ask me how I know.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                        Jus' bout dat action boss
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                        I'd like 8 teams. Make up one poll of coaches and writers and the top 8 in that make it.
                        I think 8 is great too. Really I would take drawing 8 teams out of a giant hat over the BCS.

My "dream" playoff is 16 teams.. with the automatic qualifying conferences + the Mountain West getting an automatic bid into the postseason. The other 9 spots would be at large berths and if a WAC team (Boise State) or Conference USA, Sun Belt, etc happened to set the world on fire that year they'd get an at-large berth anyway.

Some may say 16 is too much, I disagree, but 8 should be the minimum. I think 4 is too few.. and this season you'd have a major clusterfuck filling 4 slots.
                        Originally posted by ram29jackson
                        I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
                          I think 8 is great too. Really I would take drawing 8 teams out of a giant hat over the BCS.

My "dream" playoff is 16 teams.. with the automatic qualifying conferences + the Mountain West getting an automatic bid into the postseason. The other 9 spots would be at large berths and if a WAC team (Boise State) or Conference USA, Sun Belt, etc happened to set the world on fire that year they'd get an at-large berth anyway.

Some may say 16 is too much, I disagree, but 8 should be the minimum. I think 4 is too few.. and this season you'd have a major clusterfuck filling 4 slots.
                          Nine at large bids is way too many. There are not 9 teams who didn't win their conference who deserve to play in the post season.

Just take the top 8 BCS teams every year, and shove them into a bracket. It's too fucking easy.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by citizenerased
                            With a provision for Notre Dame too? Otherwise, you've got to be the worst homer ever.
                            My idea would basically require/most likely mean college football would change pretty drastically to work.

Originally posted by St. Francisco
                            I can't believe after all this time you still think that's the best idea..
                            It's the most fair and objective way. For what it's worth I hate at-large teams in the NCAA basketball tourney as well. Unless there is an objective way to choose every team then they shouldn't be in. This "at-large" bullshit is just that. If you can't even win your own conference there is no way in hell you deserve to have a shot at the NC.

I think it's hilarious all these BCS bashers cite the Oklahoma and Nebraska teams that couldn't win the Big12 but played for NC's as glaring reasons as to why the BCS doesn't work.....then they turn around and actually support/propose a system for choosing a NC that automatically puts in teams that don't win their conference. Yeah..no lapse in logic there.

Is my system "perfect"? I don't know. But it's simple, easy, objective, fair, and cut and dried.

I'd rather go back to the old bowl system than use the BCS method. Both are ridiculous and fail to deliver a real champion. At least the old way had tradition.
                            I agree with this 1000%

Thanks

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                              Posts too much
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                              Nine at large bids is way too many. There are not 9 teams who didn't win their conference who deserve to play in the post season.

Just take the top 8 BCS teams every year, and shove them into a bracket. It's too fucking easy.
                              I think this is a pretty solid approach that somewhat benefits everyone. The BCS still gets to use their system and be involved in the post-season while the fans get a playoff. Both sides will have to concede in some places and this works out pretty well for me. As long as teams like TCU and Boise are getting a fair shot at the title, then I'm happy. Just winning the Mac or the Sun Belt does not mean you have earned the right to play for the national championship.

I don't like Wetzel's 16 team idea at all though. Plus an extra 4 games is a little much to win the title. If conference championship games stick around, thats potentially a 17 game season for the two teams in the title. They'd likely be exhausted and wouldn't be putting their best product on the field. Do it like the NFL with a bye week before the NC game. If it is layed out correctly, the championship game could still be around the same time it is now.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                                RIP Indy Colts
                                • Feb 2009

Yeah I think an 8 team system with no automatic bids would be the best compromise for everyone.

I'd also like to see things like preseason polls eliminated, and more transparency with the whole polling system so human voters can't get away with dicking over small schools as easily.

Comment

Working...