X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

No good RBs in 2011 draft...again?

I guess when your top prospects are yet another overrated washout from UConn (Jordan Todman), someone who was the 2nd best RB on his own team (Mark Ingram), and a guy from Illinois (Mikel LeShoure), you can consider this a weak RB class.

Last year's class was terrible. Jahvid Best was a decent pass-catcher, but did nothing behind Detroit's O-line. Ryan Matthews was much-ballyhooed and then completely outclassed by Mike Tolbert. CJ Spiller was a huge bust. Ack.

2009 wasn't much better. Outside of Lesean McCoy, you had a ton of crap. Shonn Greene single-handedly revitalized LaDainian Tomlinson's career. Knowshown has been No-show. Donald Brown is terrible. We are still waiting for Beanie Wells to beat out Tim Hightower.

Where did all the RBs go?
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
    Where did all the RBs go?
    Same place the QB's went. Swallowed up by the spread.

The influx of rookie WR's who have been able to come right into the league and make an impact also supports this. Remember when WR's used to take a couple of years to develop?

Pocket QB's arent developed anymore, and the classic pro style HB who lines up behind a FB and carries the ball between the tackles 25 times is a rarity.

Comment

• Leftwich
      Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Mikel is gonna be a good RB at the NFL level. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants take him if they can't resign Bradshaw.

Originally posted by Tailback U
      It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Leftwich
        Mikel is gonna be a good RB at the NFL level. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants take him if they can't resign Bradshaw.
        Giants don't draft RBs that early, but I guess anything can happen.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Mark Ingram is damn good. Not being as good as Trent Richardson isn't such a bad thing.

Overall, yes this is another weak crop and I agree with your general point ... but don't lump Mark Ingram in with the rest of these bums.

Comment

• Leftwich
            Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Who are the teams in dire need of a running back anyway?

Originally posted by Tailback U
            It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• stevsta
              ¿Que?
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Leftwich
              Who are the teams in dire need of a running back anyway?
              rams needs a 3rd down runningback bad
              RIP

Comment

• Maize
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stevsta
                Well there's your answer, I actually cannot think of a team that has a "dire" need at running back right now. The teams that run the ball seem to already have their guy. Maybe free agency will leave some teams with a need at running back.
                "Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave" | Kentucky Wildcats
                2014 Season: 11-2 (7-2)
                Next Game: Bowl Game

Comment

• Boucher
                  King of EDM
                  • Jul 2009

2 good rb's this year are Damien Berry and Graig Cooper

Comment

• Champ
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Oct 2008

2009 you forgot about Arian Foster who had a good year this year. Mike Goodson who came in and did well for the Panthers this season. Rashad Jennings did a great job behind MJD.

2010 you had Toby Gerhart who did a good job behind AD. James Starks did well in the playoffs and is playing in the Superbowl this weekend. LeGarrette Blount had a 1,000 yard year. Chris Ivory did well for the Saints and Keiland Williams did well for the Redskins.

Can't really make a judgment on these guys yet since they are still young, and lets not forget that alot of teams are moving towards multiple back systems.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by stevsta
                      No, the Rams need a competent backup RB, so they can keep Jackson on the field on 3rd down.

The reason he never plays on 3rd down anymore, is because he takes 95% of the carries.

Comment

• Bmore
                        The True Free-Man
                        • Oct 2008

Ravens will need a back-up behind Ray Rice. Once we cut McGahee and his cap eating 5-10 carry self.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chubby Giangio
                          2009 you forgot about Arian Foster who had a good year this year. Mike Goodson who came in and did well for the Panthers this season. Rashad Jennings did a great job behind MJD.

2010 you had Toby Gerhart who did a good job behind AD. James Starks did well in the playoffs and is playing in the Superbowl this weekend. LeGarrette Blount had a 1,000 yard year. Chris Ivory did well for the Saints and Keiland Williams did well for the Redskins.

Can't really make a judgment on these guys yet since they are still young, and lets not forget that alot of teams are moving towards multiple back systems.
                          I think the fact that you just mentioned a lot of undrafted free agents and late round picks proves Senser's overall point that there is no point in drafting a RB high in today's NFL.

Comment

• packersfan4eva
                            Ryan Luxem
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Chubby Giangio
                            2010 you had Toby Gerhart who did a good job behind AD.
                            He's white.

Your argument is invalid.

Originally posted by Miggyfan99
                            I would get fucked in the ass for WS tickets too... only if Miguel was playing though

Comment

• G-men
                              Posts too much
                              • Nov 2011

Champ posted what i was going to say, but i also agree with NAHSTE's point. i personally wouldnt draft a HB until the third round or so unless Barry Sanders or Walter Payton are entering the draft sometime soon.

Comment

Working...