Who will be the biggest draft bust of 2011?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OnlyOneBeerLeft
    Fuck em
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jfhennedy
    It's misleading to say 2 1st round picks since they swapped them for this year, of course they wouldn't still have it.
    Originally posted by G-Men
    beat me to it
    No, it is not misleading at all... For the #6 overall draft pick you traded your 2011 1st, 2012 1st, 2011 2nd, 2011 4th and 2012 4th. I don't see the logic here, yeah, you still had a draft pick in the 1st round, but you had to trade your 1st rounder ALONG with the other 4 picks.

You moved this years 1st round pick to move up, along with other pieces... I mean... you can try talking yourself into thinking you didn't give up THAT much, but you did, you traded TWO 1st round picks (and more) that you own for a pick that another team owned. Staying in the 1st round doesn't make it like you didn't trade a 1st rounder, if it was only one 1st rounder than the deal would of been 2012 1st, 2011 2nd, 2011 4th, 2012 4th for the 2011 6th overall pick and you still would of picked AGAIN in the 1st round had you not traded that pick... I mean... honestly... I'm not sure what isn't clear about the trade lol

Comment

• G-men
      Posts too much
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by OnlyOneBeerLeft
      No, it is not misleading at all... For the #6 overall draft pick you traded your 2011 1st, 2012 1st, 2011 2nd, 2011 4th and 2012 4th. I don't see the logic here, yeah, you still had a draft pick in the 1st round, but you had to trade your 1st rounder ALONG with the other 4 picks.

You moved this years 1st round pick to move up, along with other pieces... I mean... you can try talking yourself into thinking you didn't give up THAT much, but you did, you traded TWO 1st round picks (and more) that you own for a pick that another team owned. Staying in the 1st round doesn't make it like you didn't trade a 1st rounder, if it was only one 1st rounder than the deal would of been 2012 1st, 2011 2nd, 2011 4th, 2012 4th for the 2011 6th overall pick and you still would of picked AGAIN in the 1st round had you not traded that pick... I mean... honestly... I'm not sure what isn't clear about the trade lol
      you arent getting the point. they only gave up one 1st round pick. moving up from 27 to 6 isnt losing a pick.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

They only lose one first rounder, yes.

But they traded two first rounders away. Of course they got one back, but they still dealt two.

Comment

• G-men
          Posts too much
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by EmpireWF
          They only lose one first rounder, yes.

But they traded two first rounders away. Of course they got one back, but they still dealt two.
          but they dont lose anything by trading that pick, which is the point J.Hen was trying to make

Comment

• Aso
            The Serious House
            • Nov 2008

They lost 4 picks and swapped 1 other. Is this really that hard a concept to grasp?

Comment

• Hasselbeck
              Jus' bout dat action boss
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by OnlyOneBeerLeft

Newton 65.4 comp% 2908 yards 30 TDs 7 int 178.2 rating
              1586 rush yds 5.6 YPC 24 rush TD

Smith 56.6 comp% 5148 yards 43 TDs 14 int 152.2 rating
              367 rush yds 2.1 YPC 6 rush TD

Not even close from a college statistics standpoint or size... how do you see them similar? Too highly drafted black guys? Newton is a clear leader on the field too.
              I get as a Panther fan you have to get around your guy but... you picked a future bust. Newton comes from a very very simple offense where basically all he had to do was throw a bubble screen or run the option. It made Urban Meyer's offense at Utah and Florida that got Alex Smith selected #1 and Tim Tebow selected in the first round look like the Mike Holmgren West Coast offense. Gus Malzahn's offense is scary good in the college ranks, especially when it can be ran with SEC caliber speed... but in the NFL - it's a level playing field and that offense simply will not work.. ever.

But anyway the Akili Smith comparison is very valid. And ESPN's AFC North blogger posted this before the draft:

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is by far the biggest lightning rod at this year's NFL combine. Whether it's off-the-field controversy, winning a national championship or going through the pre-draft process, Newton remains the one college prospect people cannot stop talking about.

But lately Newton is starting to draw some unfavorable comparisons to one of the biggest draft busts of the past dozen years: Former Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Akili Smith.
              One of the primary reasons Newton is being compared to Smith is their rapid rise in the college ranks. Smith started two years at a junior college before transferring to Oregon, where he shot up the draft boards after throwing for 3,763 yards and 32 touchdowns his senior season. Smith entered the 1999 NFL draft with only 11 career starts in Division I.

Sound familiar?

Newton started his career at Florida as Tim Tebow's backup but had to go to Blinn (Texas) Junior College to get playing time. He was later recruited by Auburn amid more controversy and threw for 2,854 yards and 30 touchdowns in 14 starts.

Like Smith, Newton enters the draft with just one full season as a starter at the highest level. Smith wowed scouts in offseason workouts with his strong arm and immense athletic ability, and Newton has a chance to do the same. Smith went No. 3 overall to Cincinnati and Newton's early projections place him in the top 10.

But Smith's NFL career quickly flamed out. He lasted just four years with Cincinnati, made only 17 starts and had a career 52.8 passer rating. Newton's story is yet to be told, but some are noting the aforementioned similarities.

The comparisons will only heighten if the Bengals gain interest in Newton. It's well-documented that Cincinnati's quarterback position is in turmoil after starter Carson Palmer recently demanded a trade and threatened to retire. If the Bengals are taking Palmer's threats seriously, they have to do something at quarterback.

Would Newton be a target for Cincinnati at No. 4? The Bengals drafted Smith No. 3 overall 12 years ago. So stranger things have happened.
              Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is by far the biggest lightning rod at this year's NFL combine. Whether it's off-the-field controversy, winning a national championship or going through the pre-draft process, Newton remains the one college prospect people cannot stop talking about.

And Mel Kiper also agrees with my comparison:

So there you go.
              Originally posted by ram29jackson
              I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• ralaw
                Posts too much
                • Feb 2009

BUMP.....Interesting discussion.

Comment

• Chrispy
                  Needs a hobby
                  • Dec 2008

Newton looks good so far...............

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                    Newton won't be a bust.

Von Miller, Julio Jones or Christian Ponder are my picks for biggest bust of 2011.

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
                    Of 2011? No one.. you can't label a bust after a season.

From this draft? I'd say Cam Newton (Akili Smith II) and Julio Jones (he will be good but nowhere near as good as he should be given what Atlanta gave up to get him).. I'd say Andy Dalton could be a flop as well.

Comment

• OnlyOneBeerLeft
                      Fuck em
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TheImmortalGoud
                      Cam Newton (He'll be a solid player, but no where near number one overall good)
                      Jake Locker
                      Ryan Kerrigan (He won't work in a 3-4)
                      Nate Solder
                      Jonas Mouton
                      DeMarco Murray
                      Stevan Ridley
                      DeMarcus Van Dyke
                      Originally posted by blessUP
                      lil chucky asks 'cam call a play that you ran at auburn' -- cam 'look to the sideline & we see 36, that is the play' *blank stare*
                      cam newton is slow mentally & he was drafted by a 1st year coach on a below average team
                      do the math
                      Originally posted by FirstTimer
                      Cam Newton.

Mainly because he's black.
                      Originally posted by jms493
                      I don't think Newton is smart enough to pay NFL QB at a high level but he might be able to get by with his physical and athletic ability. The problem is who wants a QB like that....I would rather have a chubby Big Ben, old ass Brett Farve, or a doofy Eli Manning who can play the position as it was meant to be played.

I am sure Cam will make some highlight reel plays but lets see if he can really play nfl QB. I would bet money.........NO.
                      Originally posted by blessUP
                      NO SIR -- mainly because he will not understand the entire play book on sundays! cut it out already
                      CAM NEWTON calling plays

Sorry but nothing I have from him sounds like he is a quick, sharp guy. I wonder how many "exams" he took inn college....puhlease!
                      Just most of the interviews he was in....I don't get the impression that he is bright....there are a million interview from this guy. When I hear Sam Bradford or Stafford speak they sound like they know what they want to say. It is just a personal feeling....they all could be fucking idiots for all I know but what else can I go by.

My main problem with Cam Newton and Jake locker, and it is not their fault, is how can a guy learn to play under center in 1 year after playing Shotgun QB for his whole life? The learning curve is so high and now your in the NFL when the speed of the game is 10 fold compared to college.

Take Mark Sanchez for example...another brainiac, he played in an USC pro offense style and he struggles in the NFL. Freaking Jets don't let him throw the ball past 10 yards most plays. Granted Sanchez is no where near the specimen that Cam is but I am not sure how much of a factor that plays at the NFL QB position.
                      Originally posted by Rush
                      Newton.

Because Carolina fucking blows. He won't be a bust because of his own talent, more so because of what is surrounding him. That team is atrocious. Watching games will be bearable at least in NC with Newton who doesn't fall like a bag of sand like Clausen.
                      Of 2011? No one.. you can't label a bust after a season.

From this draft? I'd say Cam Newton (Akili Smith II) and Julio Jones (he will be good but nowhere near as good as he should be given what Atlanta gave up to get him).. I'd say Andy Dalton could be a flop as well.
                      I get as a Panther fan you have to get around your guy but... you picked a future bust. Newton comes from a very very simple offense where basically all he had to do was throw a bubble screen or run the option. It made Urban Meyer's offense at Utah and Florida that got Alex Smith selected #1 and Tim Tebow selected in the first round look like the Mike Holmgren West Coast offense. Gus Malzahn's offense is scary good in the college ranks, especially when it can be ran with SEC caliber speed... but in the NFL - it's a level playing field and that offense simply will not work.. ever.

But anyway the Akili Smith comparison is very valid. And ESPN's AFC North blogger posted this before the draft:

And Mel Kiper also agrees with my comparison:

So there you go.

Comment

• Rudi
                        #CyCueto
                        • Nov 2008

Cam Newton and Von Miller smuggin on yall.

Edit- Julio Jones and Andy Dalton too

Comment

• Houston
                          Back home
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by West
                          I'll start. Blaine Gabbert.
                          [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt496uqvIto&feature"]Blaine Gabbert Cussing Brian Cushing - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• DoubleDeuce
                            Spellin' n' shit
                            • Feb 2009

I'll admit I was wrong about Cam. But even so, I do feel that he's overrated by many people (some already calling him a top 10 QB).

Comment

• Youk
                              Posts too much
                              • Feb 2009

I still say give it through the third season. Obviously Newton had a great year, and he won't be a bust, but I'd like to see where someone like Gabbert goes in the next two years. He looked like complete shit this year, but let's see with a full off-season and maybe some pieces around him besides MJD at running back.

Comment

• jms493
                                • Feb 2009

Well i was dead wrong about Cam....lets see him improve and have a better year 2.

Comment

Working...