X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shayn•Da•Pain
    Laughs Unlimited
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
    While that's true all undefeated seasons aren't created equal. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule saying that simply because a team doesn't lose a game within the context of it's season that it's the best team ever when held up against the accomplishments of other teams.

Would I rank the Bears #1 overall? Maybe, maybe not. But I think there at least other candidates besides the Dolphins for that number 1 spot, mainly the '85 Bears, '78 Steelers, and either the '89 or '84 49ers.
    The '89 niners not making this list is shameful. They should be hovering in the 8 to 7 range IMO. Maybe higher. The '92 Boys are lucky Montana was injured that year, or else their playoff meeting would have turned out different.
    sigpic

Comment

• nflman2033
      George Brett of VSN
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
      I think what hurt the Bears more was that they only won 1 title with that group of players. All the other teams on that list won multiple titles (although the Cowboys and Raiders might be stretching it).

The 72 Dolphins went undefeated and played most of their games with their backup QB (Earl Morrall). They are one of the only teams in NFL history to lead the league in most points scored and fewest points allowed. I don't know what more people expected them to do.
      yeah but the reason why the cowboys and raiders didn't win more was because of the Steelers, those teams were stacked

Comment

• Hasselbeck
        Jus' bout dat action boss
        • Feb 2009

Just think if Asante Samuel could catch .. the 07' Pats would be the #1 team on this list.. instead, not even on the top 10 (which I disagree strongly with btw).
        Originally posted by ram29jackson
        I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• dave
          Go the fuck outside
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
          Just think if Asante Samuel could catch .. the 07' Pats would be the #1 team on this list.. instead, not even on the top 10 (which I disagree strongly with btw).
          Gotta have a ring to be on this list. They choked. End of story.
          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• dave
            Go the fuck outside
            • Oct 2008

You can groan all you want Aso, but you can't be a top 10 NFL team of all time without the ring.
            My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

As always Im assuming this is all on one year accomplishment not talent level and likelyhood of winning head to head.

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              2007 Patriots and 2001 Rams would beat most of these teams in a best of three. Pats would sweep almost all of them.
              I hope this is schtick.

Rams had enough speed and so much offensive depth to stand a chance and likely beat 3-4 of these. But LOL at 07 pats against most of these teams.

Im assuming this takes place with todays pathetic rule set for you to fathom this.

94 niners ,83 skins beat both 01 Rams and 07 Pats.

Originally posted by §hayn•Da•Pain
              The '89 niners not making this list is shameful. They should be hovering in the 8 to 7 range IMO. Maybe higher. The '92 Boys are lucky Montana was injured that year, or else their playoff meeting would have turned out different.
              What on earth did Montana have to do with the Niners after Leonard Marshall one man gang raped him in 90 ?

If you teleport Deion onto the 92 team noone else on the list is even close what good does that do us ?

((p.s 93 fwiw Cowboys were a better and more talented team))

Originally posted by Hasselbeck
              The least talented , least depth , and one of the slowest defenses in comparison to these.

LOL at thinking Wes Welker and Randy Moss last 2 quarters without cracking in half or dying against a team like 78 steelers or 85 Bears.
              They averaged 10ypc with 1 td with modern rules against an atrocious secondary , decent LBers , and a top grade Dline. Theyd be toast against teams who had elite play coming from all 3 units and smarter coordinators.

Your best weapon cant be "Bill Bellycheck" when the other side has guys like Knoll , Shula , Madden , Landry , Lombardi , and THE greatest defensive/Offensive minds ever in Buddy Ryan and Bill Walsh.

When the singularity hits and computers can map and reconstruct humans they will clone all teams in there prime year , give them equal training and nutrition , play by a random 70s-90s rule book and the top 4 will be.

85 Bears , 78 Steelers , 93 Cowboys ,84 Niners.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by §hayn•Da•Pain
                Uhhh..that Niners team was 14-2 Steve Young was really fucking good anyways.

Why would Montana have mattered?

Comment

• Saluki
                  Ball So Hard
                  • Oct 2008

Uhhh..that Niners team was 14-2 Steve Young was really fucking good anyways.

Why would Montana have mattered?
                  Teams get spoiled with all these HOF Quarterbacks. 1x pro-bowler jim mcmahon FTW

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Saluki
                    Teams get spoiled with all these HOF Quarterbacks. 1x pro-bowler jim mcmahon FTW
                    While they may have the most questionable QB.....they have arguably the best RB in the crop.
                    Any team facing Bears/Cowboys is going to have to worry about stopping the two most prolific and determined runners of all time. Both of them have top grade defenses preventing shoot it out leads from keeping them out of the game.
                    Not a problem you face with the other teams.
                    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Senser81
                      VSN Poster of the Year
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                      Any team facing Bears/Cowboys is going to have to worry about stopping the two most prolific and determined runners of all time. Both of them have top grade defenses preventing shoot it out leads from keeping them out of the game.
                      Not a problem you face with the other teams.
                      The 95 Steelers seemed to have little problem stopping a prolific Emmitt Smith (18 carries, 49 yards), while the cocaine-addled 85 Patriots had no trouble containing a determined Walter Payton (22 carries, 61 yards, 1 fumble).

Comment

• FirstTimer
                        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

The 95 Steelers seemed to have little problem stopping a prolific Emmitt Smith (18 carries, 49 yards), while the cocaine-addled 85 Patriots had no trouble containing a determined Walter Payton (22 carries, 61 yards, 1 fumble).
                        Then again the 85 Patriots sold out completely on stopping Walter and let Matt Suhey and Jim McMahon/Willie Gault get off.

The Patriots sole purpose was to stop Walter...and they ended up giving up 37 points.

Comment

• Senser81
                          VSN Poster of the Year
                          • Feb 2009

Then again the 85 Patriots sold out completely on stopping Walter and let Matt Suhey and Jim McMahon/Willie Gault get off.

The Patriots sole purpose was to stop Walter...and they ended up giving up 37 points.
                          I didn't say the 85 Patriots were good.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I didn't say the 85 Patriots were good.
                            Fully aware.

Just wanted to point out that while the Patriots shut down Payton they paid a large price to do so. As such, pointing out that Payton could be contained and giving an example of a game Payton's team won by 36 points, in part because New England's sell out tactic against Payton allowed other players to shine, didn't make much sense to me.

Comment

• Senser81
                              VSN Poster of the Year
                              • Feb 2009

Fully aware.

Just wanted to point out that while the Patriots shut down Payton they paid a large price to do so. As such, pointing out that Payton could be contained and giving an example of a game Payton's team won by 36 points, in part because New England's sell out tactic against Payton allowed other players to shine, didn't make much sense to me.
                              I could point out other times that Payton was shut down in the Super Bowl, but the Bears failed to play in another one.

In 9 postseason games, Payton went over 100 yards only once, and that was his 104-yard game against the Redskins in 1984. He also had a few putrid games, like his 18 carry-32 yard 1985 NFC championship against the Rams and his 14 carry-38 yard game against the Skins in 1986.

Payton was great. Payton was consistent. But Payton wasn't anymore "unstoppable" than lesser RBs on the list like Larry Csonka and Franco Harris.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I could point out other times that Payton was shut down in the Super Bowl, but the Bears failed to play in another one.

In 9 postseason games, Payton went over 100 yards only once, and that was his 104-yard game against the Redskins in 1984. He also had a few putrid games, like his 18 carry-32 yard 1985 NFC championship against the Rams and his 14 carry-38 yard game against the Skins in 1986.

Payton was great. Payton was consistent. But Payton wasn't anymore "unstoppable" than lesser RBs on the list like Larry Csonka and Franco Harris.
                                Whatever. I played with him in TECMO.

I know what's up.

Comment

Working...