Do you care about the lockout?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluntside
    • Jun 2009

I only care about the limited free-agent period prior to training camps opening. Teams are going to be scrambling to sign guys they want and get everything together prior to the first game.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

I haven't thought about it once...I mean, so far, in this off-season...no change. I missed out on a few free agent signings I guess? Otherwise, no loss in my NFL fix.

FuckaNFL anyway...

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

I think for the hardcore fan, the league has jumped the shark a bit. Its gotten too big for its own good, and its overexposed. I think we are all NFL'd out to some degree. It gets too much coverage. I think its telling that the few people here who are mad about the lock out are GB fans. Of course they're bummed, I would be too.

I'm in the same boat as Killgod. Two or three years ago, I was NFL obsessed. I still like it, a lot, but I don't live it/breathe it anymore. I don't get excited about random games, and never watch Thursday/Monday/Sunday nighterd unless the Rams are playing. I put in my 8 hours Sunday afternoon, then forget about it for six days. I don't live on the internet refreshing stltoday.com/rams like I used to. Haven't logged on to nfl.com in years. Don't care about the draft, even a little, and couldn't tell you right now who the Rams even drafted beyond the first round, which even surprised me when it came up in a thread a few days ago. If you quized me on the 32 first roundrs, i'd get maybe 5 right.

So yeah, everyone here will be back into it Week 1, but I do think the train is slowing down. Everything is cyclical. I think the NFL has peaked, and the lock out will hurt interest to a small degree.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

College > NFL

I hate it when people try and tell me that the "better" football is played in the NFL. Uh, so? Its a ridiculously homogeneous league. The difference between the leagues worst and best is minimal and yet, they both play the same general offense and defense. It just makes for a really dull game most of the time. How many games are truly worth watching during the regular season on a per week basis...1? 2?. And the whole game lacks a real personality at this point. The personality is that boring ass NFL shield...not the players or the plays or the teams or even the fans (that used to be really different and fun all their own like the college game).

At least in college I get a multitude of matchups, a bunch of varying style mashups, and more personality to the whole thing. The NFL is like if the entire landscape of college football was the Big Ten. Unfortunately, only part of the college game is the Big Ten.

Comment

• MvP
            a member of vsn
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
            I think its telling that the few people here who are mad about the lock out are GB fans. Of course they're bummed, I would be too.
            This is funny because I came in here to say that as a Packers fan, this lockout really hasn't bothered me one bit.

It's not like GB needed the Free Agency period right away, and considering that Ted Thompson is our GM, we probably wouldn't have signed anybody worth noting. Also, none of our draft picks are players that we REALLY need to develop and begin practicing with the team as soon as possible.

I feel like this lockout may actually help the Packers, because it holds a lot of other teams back. It definitely sucks for the teams with new coaching staffs, new rookie Franchise quarterbacks, etc. who might end up going into Week 1 still unsure of what their team is capable of.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

I think for the hardcore fan, the league has jumped the shark a bit. Its gotten too big for its own good, and its overexposed. I think we are all NFL'd out to some degree. It gets too much coverage. I think its telling that the few people here who are mad about the lock out are GB fans. Of course they're bummed, I would be too.

I'm in the same boat as Killgod. Two or three years ago, I was NFL obsessed. I still like it, a lot, but I don't live it/breathe it anymore. I don't get excited about random games, and never watch Thursday/Monday/Sunday nighterd unless the Rams are playing. I put in my 8 hours Sunday afternoon, then forget about it for six days. I don't live on the internet refreshing stltoday.com/rams like I used to. Haven't logged on to nfl.com in years. Don't care about the draft, even a little, and couldn't tell you right now who the Rams even drafted beyond the first round, which even surprised me when it came up in a thread a few days ago. If you quized me on the 32 first roundrs, i'd get maybe 5 right.

So yeah, everyone here will be back into it Week 1, but I do think the train is slowing down. Everything is cyclical. I think the NFL has peaked, and the lock out will hurt interest to a small degree.
              How much of that has to do with your team stinking?
              When a team has no chance interest is always down anyways no ?

I was a diehard baseball fan prior to 1994. I haven't followed baseball since. I still love the sport but remain unable to get myself back into it.
              I would be afraid of the same thing happening to football.

A significant username change and spending more time chatting with liquidrob arent exactly dreams come true.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                College > NFL

I hate it when people try and tell me that the "better" football is played in the NFL. Uh, so? Its a ridiculously homogeneous league. The difference between the leagues worst and best is minimal and yet, they both play the same general offense and defense. It just makes for a really dull game most of the time. How many games are truly worth watching during the regular season on a per week basis...1? 2?. And the whole game lacks a real personality at this point. The personality is that boring ass NFL shield...not the players or the plays or the teams or even the fans (that used to be really different and fun all their own like the college game).

At least in college I get a multitude of matchups, a bunch of varying style mashups, and more personality to the whole thing. The NFL is like if the entire landscape of college football was the Big Ten. Unfortunately, only part of the college game is the Big Ten.
                Problems:
                1. Without a div1 alma mater how does 1 choose what teams to follow ?
                2. Even if you become a fan of a player they will be gone in a few years.
                3. Still no championship game.
                Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                  How much of that has to do with your team stinking?
                  When a team has no chance interest is always down anyways no ?

I was a diehard baseball fan prior to 1994. I haven't followed baseball since. I still love the sport but remain unable to get myself back into it.
                  I would be afraid of the same thing happening to football.

A significant username change and spending more time chatting with liquidrob arent exactly dreams come true.
                  My team was 1-15, then 2-14, back when I was still ultra hardcore two or three years ago. We've got a gret young QB who looks like the real deal, but I'm just not into it like I was before. This probably explains why I'm apathetic towards the lockout. That, plus I have zero doubt they will play Week 1. I was never a big preseason/training camp geek anyway.

Comment

• ThunderHorse
                    Grind.
                    • Nov 2008

idk,

I'm pretty obsessed with Football so It's been in the back of my head.

It hasn't really bothered me or anything, I fully expect it to get done (too much $ on the table).

What's annoying for me, like others have said, is I can't see anything about the guys we drafted, how they're doing in OTA's, blah blah blah. Indianapolis has probably had one of the most important drafts they've had in years. They've got 2, arguably 3 rookies here ( in rounds 1-4) who are going to be expected to contribute significantly and they can't even get a playbook.

Comment

• manchild24
                      Kyle got fired
                      • Nov 2008

I can give two shits about the "lockout" what the hell are we missing? All these fucking draft picks would be holding out anyway.

We didnt miss a game, a fantasy football draft or the NFL Draft. What you do see though during these times are the players that care about themselves and dont show up to workout with the rest of their teams.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

No.

I'm certain the only real thing we'll miss is a pre-season game or two and it's not like I gave a shit about those moneygrabs anyway.

Comment

• Rayman
                          Spic 'n Spanish
                          • Feb 2009

I know I don't.

I don't even think about it unless I have ESPN on and they start talking about it. And then i'm like "oh yeah, this is still happening. huh".

This is actually a nice change of pace, not having to suffer through mundane training camp "news" and footage of guys jogging in shorts/helmets. We all know they will be lining up Week 1 anyway.

The worst part of the lockout, is for the first two or three weeks of the season, every time there is a fumble or missed tackle, people will go on and on about how the lock out is resulting in sloppy play. Yawn. But that will stop after a few weeks, and by Week 6 or so nobody will care about or remember the lock out.
                          Psh. Worst part is having to read stories about my team's receivers being kicked out of malls for having baggy pants or suing some gold digging whore to get back an engagement ring.

Would much rather hear about mundane training camp shit than that.

Originally posted by Senser81
                          The NBA lockout is much more interesting, because 1) it shows once again that David Stern is the biggest fraud in sports history, and 2) there is actually a chance that the upcoming season won't take place.

The NFL stuff is just lame-ass posturing. We could have f16harm represent the owners and Pitty represent the players, and a deal would STILL get done.

OUT
                          Rack him!

Comment

• FirstTimer
                            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Nope.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              Highwayman
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                              Problems:
                              1. Without a div1 alma mater how does 1 choose what teams to follow ?
                              2. Even if you become a fan of a player they will be gone in a few years.
                              3. Still no championship game.
                              1. Same way you pick a team in the NFL...either local or a team you grew up liking or just throw a dart at wall.

2. There is a new batch of players coming in every year. The greats are truly legends in only 5 years and there is another guy there to take your interest.

3. Meh.

Comment

• dave
                                Go the fuck outside
                                • Oct 2008

I care. I want a full fucking NFL season. The fall without the NFL just isn't right.
                                My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

Working...