Is anyone else's interest in the NFL dwindling?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgoblue2290
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Is anyone else's interest in the NFL dwindling?

I mean the league as a whole not just the team you root for. I'll always love the Lions and watch every game, but this year I just couldn't get into games when other teams were playing. Even some of the playoff games I didn't bother turning on until the 4th quarter. A lot of games felt like they had almost manufactured drama where it wasn't necessarily great plays winning games, but mind boggling decisions allowing teams back in or to win the game. Plus the amount of time in a football game spent not playing football (nearly the entire 3 hours) also really drags for me.

Anyone else sort of losing interest in the NFL?
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

nope

Comment

• dave
      Go the fuck outside
      • Oct 2008

A little this year, but my teams are Philly and Buffalo. Not a lot of reason to be intense about NFL football.

The NFL is still the greatest sports league. Every week matters.

If there's one thing I could kill about the NFL, it's ESPN.
      My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Chrispy
        Needs a hobby
        • Dec 2008

For me a little but as long as there is fantasy football it won't completely go away.

Comment

• Aso
          The Serious House
          • Nov 2008

It's nice to see the read option offense and running QB's catching on even more.

Comment

• Rudi
            #CyCueto
            • Nov 2008

I've always been a much bigger baseball fan so my interest is about where it always has been.

Comment

• RainboUnicorn
              No Homo
              • Nov 2008

If i were a Lions fan my interest would be dwindling as well. Sucks to suck.

Comment

• seaplus
                Posts a lot
                • Apr 2009

over the last 3 years i haven't kept up with the NFL much. think my focus on soccer is the reason. though i haven't been keeping up with soccer the last few months and blame that on moving. could be my teams sucking though
                *<|8-D

Comment

• Cornelius
                  3rd place is you're fired
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by RainboUnicorn
                  If i were a Lions fan my interest would be dwindling as well. Sucks to suck.
                  Says the fucking Cubs fan. Oh, and your Bears team just hired a dude who drives this:

Comment

• Hitman
                    Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                    • Jun 2009

no

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                      • Feb 2009

I started similar thread mid season. I know less about league happenings now than I have since I was a kid.
                      Tired of Goodells reign. Nearly everything he's done is detrimental to the league. Over exposed watered down competition and terrible issues with rules and officiating.
                      Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Houston
                        Back home
                        • Oct 2008

Was never that interested to begin with, so no.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

Third or fourth thread on this topic since myself and a few others predicted over exposure would hurt fan interest and Zoneblitz vehemently disagreed. Hmm, wonder where he is today...

Comment

• Sven Draconian
                            Not a Scandanavian
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                            I started similar thread mid season. I know less about league happenings now than I have since I was a kid.
                            Tired of Goodells reign. Nearly everything he's done is detrimental to the league. Over exposed watered down competition and terrible issues with rules and officiating.
                            This. My issue is that far to often the team that plays better still loses the game because of over officiating. The NFL is working hard to create a brand of football that is "exciting" by opening up the passing game. They have put in a slew of rules that are impossible to call accurately during a game.

I've had enough of "challenges" too. It's a retarded fucking concept. If the play is important and needs to be reviewed, have a guy in the booth review the play and tell the ref. Why the need to ration out when to call out a ref on his fuck-up? Why the need for rules on when you can challenge? Why the need for the ref to jog over to a special monitor and watch it himself. Have somebody in the the booth. Buzz down. In less than a minute he can watch the replay and make his call. Stop making it a dramatic production for the sake of producing drama.

I've also had enough of how they define a catch. "Complete the process." I swear to god they are just fucking with us. How they have taken some as simple as a catch, which elementary schools kids can understand, and made it hard enough that people who have watched/played/coached football their whole life can't decide on an interpretation of the rule is beyond me.

Comment

• Epidemik
                              Commitment to Excellence
                              • Jul 2009

While the National Football League remains the last great reach vehicle for advertisers, ratings for regular-season broadcasts were down slightly from 2011.

While the National Football League remains the last great reach vehicle for advertisers, ratings for regular-season broadcasts were down slightly from 2011.

According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, the 101 games televised nationally over the course of the 2012 campaign averaged 16.6 million total viewers, marking a decline of 5 percent versus the year-ago 17.5 million.

In the aggregate, the five nets (NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and NFL Network) averaged a 10.1 household rating and a 6.1 in the 18-49 demo. Both measures were off four-tenths of a ratings point from the 2011 regular-season averages.

NBC's Sunday Night Football generated the biggest NFL deliveries, averaging 21.4 million viewers, a 12.8 household rating and an 8.2 in the adults 18-49 demo. The prime-time showcase dipped just 1 percent from 21.5 million viewers in 2011, while the household and demo ratings were similarly consistent (12.9, 8.4).

On average, clients who bought time on Sunday Night Football paid a unit cost of around $545,000 per 30-second spot.

Coming in right on the heels of NBC was Fox, which delivered an average crowd of 19.8 million viewers with its slate of early-afternoon and late games. Fox's NFL coverage also was all but flat versus 2011, slipping 1 percent versus 20.1 million viewers.

Fox's NFL broadcasts also delivered gaudy ratings, averaging an 11.8 HH and a 7.0 in the 18-49 demo. Last year’s averages were 11.9 and 7.3, respectively.

Setting aside the NFL Playoffs and Super Bowl, Fox boasts the single-highest unit cost on television. Per SQAD NetCosts data, a :30 in the network's late games cost around $589,000 a pop. Fox’s early contests were priced at an estimated $365,000 per 30-second spot.

Fox commanded steep pricing increases for its late-game inventory, taking in more than $100,000 more per spot in 2012 than a year ago, a jump of 21 percent year over year. Early-game increases were less steep; in 2011, a spot in a 1 p.m. EST broadcast cost $340,000.

CBS once again took third place with its smaller-market AFC package, averaging 17.7 million viewers, down 4 percent versus 18.4 million. CBS' NFL coverage served up a 10.7 HH rating, down a few ticks from an 11.0, and a 6.1 in the 18-49 demo, off four-tenths of a ratings point versus the year-ago 6.5.

According to the SQAD NetCost estimates, CBS' late-game unit cost declined from $420,000 a pop in 2011 to $385,000 this season. Early-game rates grew 13 percent to $316,000.

On the cable front, ESPN closed out its seventh season of Monday Night Football with an average draw of 12.8 million viewers, an 8.2 HH rating and a 5.1 in the 18-49 demo. ESPN's declines were generally in line with the other NFL partners, as total deliveries inched down 3 percent, HH ratings were off two-tenths of a point and the 18-49 set was off 6 percent from a 5.4.

ESPN's average unit cost for airtime on Monday Night Football was up 5 percent to $340,000.

Boasting an overstuffed roster of 13 regular-season telecasts, NFL Network's Thursday Night Football averaged 6.35 million viewers, a 4.0 HH rating and a 2.6 in the dollar demo. As TNF’s offering expanded from eight games, its deliveries went up accordingly—HH ratings jumped 11 percent from a year-ago 3.6.

The biggest single-game draw of the 2012 NFL season was the very last game on the calendar. NBC's presentation of Dallas and Washington’s Dec. 30 battle for the NFC East title delivered 30.3 million total viewers, a 17.0 HH rating and a 10.5 in the demo. The Cowboys-Skins showdown was the most-watched regular-season broadcast in 16 years.

One of the few NFL matchups that failed to meet expectations was NBC's inaugural prime-time Thanksgiving broadcast. As the New England Patriots relentlessly put the hurt on a woeful New York Jets squad, viewers tuned out in droves. While the opening kickoff was watched by some 25 million fans, the full broadcast averaged 19.2 million viewers.

The 49-19 mugging didn't do NBC any favors on the HH ratings front, either. While media buyers said that NBC had guaranteed a 19 HH rating, the final tally was nearly half that (10.2).

NBC said it had secured a unit cost of $975,000 per spot for its first Turkey Bowl broadcast.

If the NFL didn't gain much traction in 2012, the deliveries were leagues ahead of anything else on the tube. And the ratings growth versus just a few years ago is remarkable. Per Nielsen, the 2008 regular season averaged 14.6 million viewers, 2 million shy (or -12 percent) compared to this year. In the four-year period, HH ratings have improved 12 percent, while the 18-49 demo has grown 11 percent.
                              NFL ratings are down from last year, however slightly. But they have increased as a whole over the years. Also, they did their best regular season game in the past 16 years with the Cowboys vs Skins in Week 17. But they appear to be leaps ahead of all other sports products out there (although the article didnt provide numbers for it).

Comment

Working...