Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeremyHight
    I wish I was Scrubs
    • Feb 2009

I have no complaints about disciplining children, even hitting them with belts and switches seems fine to me within reason. I simply have to ask if a 220 lbs athlete needs to hit a four year old that many times in order to discipline him. Once, twice make it an nice three even, that is ok. But it looks like he hit him many more times than that.

Comment

• OnlyOneBeerLeft
      Fuck em
      • Oct 2008

I got my dam ass whooped as a kid for a while, wooden spoons, belts, paddles, eventually it became whatever my mom could reach, sometimes shit was thrown at me... Then got put into the ADHD counseling type shit and pills... turned into a zombie and asked my mom if she could take me off them, and she went with the corner... man I spent at least 6 hours in the corner one day cuz she added 5 minutes every time you turned around or talked lol Love my mom, never held a grudge, it is what it is... I don't spank my son, I've smacked him on his ass a few quick times, making sure i hit him soft and give it more of a forceful push just so he remembers daddy is stronger lol I think that to a certain extent parents should be able to handle their children how they please, but he has to know keep your dam hands off unless you are with the mother. You can't mark up your child and send him to somebody that has control of your life (Anybody that has a kid and is separated knows this shit lol)

Comment

• jeffx
        • Jun 2009

AP is soft compared to the nuns in my old catholic school. I feared them more than my old man, and that's saying something. I saw kids get slapped, hit with steel rulers, erasers & wooden pointers. You'd get arrested for that shit today.

Comment

• 1ke
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
          • Mar 2009

This story was from when I was 7 or 8. My brother is 6 years older than me and was my father's first born. My father was abused pretty bad by his father. Horrible stories that I cringed at. My dad never held a grudge against his dad for abusing him, but did cut complete ties with him when his dad left his mom.

So one time I saw my brother deliberately disobey pops. My pops unleashed hell on him. My mom held me and decided when it was enough then intervened.

Point taken sir. My mom was the one to discipline me, as I never wanted to test my father. My mom gave me what I needed a couple times. But that threat of pops was more than enough.

As a father. I don't want to hit my child, but if that line is crossed and if I need to make that point I will. Discipline is key. Respect is as well. My daughter has never pushed the right buttons to warrant that. I have grabbed her and have scared the fuck out of her a couple times. But that's been it so far. I hope we can continue like this. I feel I'm doing something right.

Comment

• dave
            Go the fuck outside
            • Oct 2008

I am not a parent, so I try not to get high and mighty where such things are concerned.
            That said, my dad was 6-2 300 lbs., a simple bad look was enough for me. In my entire childhood I can only remember one spanking ... sadly no spankings as an adult (but that's another issue).
            Again, not pretending for a second to be an authority on parenting, but in my experience the children who suffer from the worst behavioural issues are usually a reflection of their incredibly stupid parents. Go to Wal-Mart, listen to kids. Go to some other stores, listen to kids. I don't blame the kids ... frankly, I don't blame the parents - it's a vicious cycle.
            Most reasonably intelligent parents don't have to resort to corporal punishment because their child already gets behaviour.
            My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• ralaw
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

I never was hit with a switch, but my dad did use a belt. I've never hit my son with a belt, I use to use my hands, but I stopped sometime last year. He is 5, so he has his moments, but generally he his is a good kid. Giving him a look or raising my voice works.

Comment

• Senser81
                VSN Poster of the Year
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by buckeye
                As a parent I don't agree with using switches. I had belts (big leather belts) across my ass quite often.
                That obviously did not have the desired effect.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                  Throbbing Tebowner
                  • Oct 2008

Haven't read the thread but have we come to the obvious conclusion that attacking a 4 year old with a weapon is worse than attacking an adult who spits on you and hits you?
                  So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• ralaw
                    Posts too much
                    • Feb 2009

The Vikes will be forced to sit Peterson. The mob is coming.

Comment

• jeffx
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                      The Vikes will be forced to sit Peterson. The mob is coming.
                      Press conference is on now. Talk about spin-doctoring.

Comment

• Argath
                        $2 whore
                        • Apr 2009

Honestly, he should get the same, if not a worse punishment than Ray Rice. At what point did society become so ass backwards that beating a defenseless 4 year old child with a tree branch is somehow not as bad as hitting a grown woman.

Dude should be banned. Period.

Comment

• SethMode
                          Master of Mysticism
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Argath
                          Honestly, he should get the same, if not a worse punishment than Ray Rice. At what point did society become so ass backwards that beating a defenseless 4 year old child with a tree branch is somehow not as bad as hitting a grown woman.

Dude should be banned. Period.

The idea that this is somehow okay is so baffling to me. When the story first broke, I had an image in my head of my own childhood, where my dad spanked me a few times and it hurt and sucked but whatever, I had it coming. Then I saw those pictures, and that's not discipline. It's absolutely child abuse. The NFL is really just knocking it out of the park right now.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                            Throbbing Tebowner
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SethMode
                            The idea that this is somehow okay is so baffling to me. When the story first broke, I had an image in my head of my own childhood, where my dad spanked me a few times and it hurt and sucked but whatever, I had it coming. Then I saw those pictures, and that's not discipline. It's absolutely child abuse. The NFL is really just knocking it out of the park right now.
                            He sliced a 4 year old's nutsack open with a fucking branch. That there are people out there ok with that is mind boggling.
                            So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                              • Feb 2009

Goodell is getting buried by his own ego. It was and is absolutely idiotic to think you can police a league of young aggressive rich men to the point none of them hit , fight , drink , or party. NFL needs to get its nose out of peoples personal lives and let individual teams and ya'know the fucking cops deal with these issues. 7 years after implementing the new conduct policy stupid shit that should be 1 week local stories are turning into full blown mainstream scandals. Like anyone truly gives a fuck when Charlie Sheen , Chris Brown , Gibson and others go bat shit. They just get labeled bad boys and that's that. Now we have to sit here as sports fans and figure out what kind of discipline a 4 year old needs , what the fuck a switch is , and what to do with a crazy bitch in an elevator. All the heat should be on the Ravens and Vikings..all of it. Instead we have the Gynopatrol in media attacking the sport and male culture as a whole weeks away from the league adorning itself for a month in pink.
                              God Bless America.
                              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ralaw
                                Posts too much
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                                Goodell is getting buried by his own ego. It was and is absolutely idiotic to think you can police a league of young aggressive rich men to the point none of them hit , fight , drink , or party. NFL needs to get its nose out of peoples personal lives and let individual teams and ya'know the fucking cops deal with these issues. 7 years after implementing the new conduct policy stupid shit that should be 1 week local stories are turning into full blown mainstream scandals. Like anyone truly gives a fuck when Charlie Sheen , Chris Brown , Gibson and others go bat shit. They just get labeled bad boys and that's that. Now we have to sit here as sports fans and figure out what kind of discipline a 4 year old needs , what the fuck a switch is , and what to do with a crazy bitch in an elevator. All the heat should be on the Ravens and Vikings..all of it. Instead we have the Gynopatrol in media attacking the sport and male culture as a whole weeks away from the league adorning itself for a month in pink.
                                God Bless America.
                                The issue with putting it on the teams is the fact they wouldn't do anything, as the priority is winning. The best way to deal with it is for the discipline to be excessive, because you would then kill the mob and avoid destroying credibility by changing punishment based on public outcry.

Comment

Working...