Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
    The issue with putting it on the teams is the fact they wouldn't do anything, as the priority is winning. The best way to deal with it is for the discipline to be excessive, because you would then kill the mob and avoid destroying credibility by changing punishment based on public outcry.
    Then you're just getting backlash from the players union ,excess punishment is usually a result of media pressure not the actual incident. You can never let the public dictate these policies for the league especially on an issue that is NOT going to be stopped by some conduct policy. The general public isn't privy to all the information and details. NFL has had this issue since the 50s its no better or worse now. What we're talking about isnt Roids or carrying grenades to an airport , its personal matters inside a home thats way too subjective for the league to try and police. The pressure to win vs pressure to discipline should be on the teams themselves. If people are that up and arms about AP boycott a Vikings game ,cancel their Sunday Ticket , or go picket their local politician to make sure AP faces criminal punishment. Its much too easy to bitch at "the shield" all at once rather than going at both the Ravens and Vikes individually. If people don't actually care enough to hurt a team or contact officials then really who gives a shit ? Ive read countless stories of crimes and not once did I ever think "jeez that guy kicked a dog...I hope home depot fires him".
    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• SethMode
      Master of Mysticism
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
      Then you're just getting backlash from the players union ,excess punishment is usually a result of media pressure not the actual incident. You can never let the public dictate these policies for the league especially on an issue that is NOT going to be stopped by some conduct policy. The general public isn't privy to all the information and details. NFL has had this issue since the 50s its no better or worse now. What we're talking about isnt Roids or carrying grenades to an airport , its personal matters inside a home thats way too subjective for the league to try and police. The pressure to win vs pressure to discipline should be on the teams themselves. If people are that up and arms about AP boycott a Vikings game ,cancel their Sunday Ticket , or go picket their local politician to make sure AP faces criminal punishment. Its much too easy to bitch at "the shield" all at once rather than going at both the Ravens and Vikes individually. If people don't actually care enough to hurt a team or contact officials then really who gives a shit ? Ive read countless stories of crimes and not once did I ever think "jeez that guy kicked a dog...I hope home depot fires him".
      This only really touches on one part of your point (which I thought was very good): weren't the ratings for Ravens/Steelers close to (or maybe even were) a Thursday night record?

While I do think that Peterson is a monster, I also agree that he's basically a well publicized monster. The more unfortunate fact about all of this is that Peterson and child abuse is probably the flavor of this week, just like domestic violence was last week's. This is the internet world. People get really mad about things for a little bit, say some weird shit on social media outlets, and then forget about it. Twitter at this point seems like some sort of weird, alien overlord social experiment where they test not only our capacity for emotions, but also our dedication to said emotions.

Sorry, very ranty. I can definitely see why, in a perfect world, something like this would just come down to cops and his impending sentence would mean he wouldn't get to play football anyway. Unfortunately, we all know that that isn't going to happen. Shit, I don't really know much about the details of Rae Carruth's trial but, I can kind of guarantee that if I plotted to murder my girlfriend and unborn child I'd get more than 15 or so years. Peterson will likely never serve any jail time for what Rosetta put in a horrifyingly eloquent way: "He sliced a 4 year old's nutsack open with a fucking branch." How is that possible? Whomever is handling this, be it cops, teams or the NFL, they've all shown a propensity toward leniency in most cases and while I think that the NFL/Goodell fucked itself on its own hypocrisy here, I don't know if taking the power away from the NFL solves anything either.

Short version I guess is, it's all a mess.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Did Reggie Bush actually say he'd do the same things AP did to his own 1-year-old if the baby misbehaved?

Comment

• Argath
          $2 whore
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
          Did Reggie Bush actually say he'd do the same things AP did to his own 1-year-old if the baby misbehaved?
          Technically yes he did. But he later retracted/denied the statement and claimed he was talking about "spanking." But according to Charles Barkley a "spanking" = a "whoopin"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            I still can't believe he would open his mouth and say something remotely like that in this current climate. What an idiot, sometimes you are best served by shutting up.

Comment

• MrBill
              Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
              • Feb 2009

Looks like AP will have to finish out the year long suspension-

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson appeal denied, will have to finish season-long suspension
              Arbitrator Harold Harold Henderson, appointed by commissioner Roger Goodell to oversee the appeal, said in his decision that Peterson had failed to prove the disciplinary process was not 'fair and consistent.'

The house wins again.

An NFL arbitrator rejected Adrian Peterson's appeal of his suspension for child abuse, barring the Minnesota Vikings star from returning to the field this season.

Arbitrator Harold Harold Henderson, appointed by commissioner Roger Goodell to oversee the appeal, said in his decision that Peterson had failed to prove the disciplinary process was not "fair and consistent." The decision means Peterson will remain suspended for the rest of the season and unable to apply for reinstatement until April 15.

The ruling sparked an immediate and bitter response from the NFL Players Association, which had expressed concerns that Henderson, a longtime NFL executive, would not be independent and impartial like arbitrator Barbara S. Jones, the former federal judge who overturned Ray Rice's domestic violence suspension last month. Henderson was a "designee" of Goodell's and was expected to deliver the commissioner's wishes on the ruling.

"The NFLPA expected this outcome, given the hearing officer's relationship and financial ties to the NFL," the Players Association said in a statement.

In an interview with ESPN, Peterson expressed shock that his suspension was upheld while Rice can return to play.

"I feel like they're handling the situation absolutely wrong," Peterson said. "I think I've been made an example out of. It kind of baffles me how -- I have nothing but love for Ray Rice, I'm happy he has the chance to play. But it's like, how did Ray Rice get reinstated before me, a team has a chance to pick him up, but I don't have the opportunity to come back until April. When has that happened in any other case in the NFL, ever?"

Comment

• MrBill
                Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                • Feb 2009

This could backfire on the NFL-

Report: NFL exec initially promised Peterson two-game suspension

ABC News has obtained audio of a call between Adrian Peterson and NFL executive Troy Vincent, in which Vincent seemed to promise a two-game suspension for AP's violation of the league's personal conduct policy. Peterson was later suspended indefinitely.

The NFL's executive vice president for football operations Troy Vincent appeared to tell Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson that he would only be suspended for two games, according to recordings of their conversation obtained by ABC News.

Peterson appeared to call Vincent in order to determine whether his time served on the Commissioner's/Exempt List -- when the running back was suspended with pay -- would factor in the NFL's sentencing. Peterson was suspended without pay for the rest of the season last month. His appeal was denied on Friday, and he will not be considered for reinstatement until April 15. On Monday, the NFLPA filed a lawsuit challenging the NFL's Peterson decision, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Earlier this season, Peterson was placed on the Commissioner's List when he was charged with a felony after being accused of hitting his four-year-old son with a switch. In court, Peterson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of reckless assault. He was fined $4,000 and ordered to perform 80 hours of community service.

In the Nov. 12 conversation between Peterson and Vincent, the NFL executive appears to tell Peterson that his time served on the Commissioner's List will count toward his suspension. Peterson's legal team has been claiming the NFL promised the running back that he would only receive a two-game suspension.

In the recording, Peterson asks Vincent whether he will get a two-game suspension.

Vincent replies, "Yeah."

Peterson: "It will be two additional games -- not time served?"

Vincent: "No, no, no, no, no, no. It won't..the one this weekend. So really it's next weekend. You will be back."

Peterson, a six-time Pro Bowler, has missed all but one of the team's games this season.

Comment

Working...