Enough is enough. Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Glenbino
    How can you say Manning never had a defense to lean on when he was basically carried through the playoffs by his D during his only SB run?
    Having a bottom 10 ranked defense and having to throw 40+ times in a championship game/SB is hardly leaning on. I dont think Brady has ever walked into a playoff game not knowing for sure his team had the better Head Coach and defense elitely prepared for the other team. Telling me Manning had that a handful of times and won a SB with that sorta highlights the potential it gives.
    Besides my statement isnt his defense or RBs never performed well. Its about game planning and pressure. Do you really think Manning even that year went into any of those games thinking ok I can play a little more conservatively and maybe run a bit more because my defense and RB can carry things if need be ? For someone that has to call 3 different plays and adjust a billion things at the line it weighs heavy on your decision making. Its not an excuse for his shortcomings in big games but it seems like a huge factor to me.
    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• shag773
      • Jul 2009

Two different groups of receivers, including an extended stretch with the GOAT, forgive me for not crying a river for Montana when Brady has been throwing to guys who were nothing before they got to NE (sans Moss) and garbage when they left (Moss included).
      The Niners won another SB comfortably without Montana while he was still in the league, at the same point in his career Brady is still collecting rings with a bunch of skill guys we won't remember in three years besides Gronk.

The era argument is dumb. It wasn't harder to win titles in the 80s, especially if you had an owner who outspent the rest of the league. The pass happy nature of the league today is just one more thing that makes it harder to have a dominant squad, which has been evidenced by the parity we see today compared to the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Undefeated in the SB is a joke stat. If you're actually going to punish Brady for having less early playoff washouts than Montana, I don't know what to tell you.

All Brady is doing now is padding his GOAT status. Old guys clinging to their Montanas, Bradshaws, and Marinos be damned.
      Montana won two Super Bowls and played over half his career without Rice.

The Niners won the Super Bowl 4 years after he last started for them. So I'm not sure how that really supports what you are saying.

I didn't say it was harder to win Super Bowls in the 80's, just playing quarterback.

NFL didn't adopt free agency as we know it today until 1992. Not sure how spending played a huge part back then.

If you think Brady and Montana played on an even playing field, or Brady has done enough to make up for that..well..I don't know what to tell you. Today's NFL has extended the careers of QBs and the level of productivity.

I'm not really into what if scenarios, but if Montana isn't destroyed by Leonard Marshall in 1990..a hit you never see on anyone today much less quarterbacks..I'm fairly confident we are talking about 5, possibly 6 Super Bowls for him.

Going undefeated in the Super Bowl is a joke stat? Wow...

I'm not clinging to anything. I'm someone who has been lucky enough to have watched both these guys play an have an informed opinion. I'm not saying I'm right, but I have a damn good argument..see prior post...
      Last edited by shag773; 02-05-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• shag773
        • Jul 2009

He scored the go ahead score with two minutes left.... Giants defense played great, but Brady did all he could to put the Pats in position to win that game.
        The offense scored 14 points in that game.

14 points.

There were Super Bowls where Montana scored 14 points while I was in the bathroom.

Comment

• Glenbino
          Jelly and Ice Cream
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by shag773
          The offense scored 14 points in that game.

14 points.

There were Super Bowls where Montana scored 14 points while I was in the bathroom.
          I guess Joe Montana never won low scoring games...

That doesn't change the context. 14 points were good enough to go ahead with two minutes left in the game.

He put his team in position to win the game.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by shag773
            Montana won two Super Bowls and played over half his career without Rice.

The Niners won the Super Bowl 4 years after he last started for them. So I'm not sure how that really supports what you are saying.

I didn't say it was harder to win Super Bowls in the 80's, just playing quarterback.

NFL didn't adopt free agency as we know it today until 1992. Not sure how spending played a huge part back then.

If you think Brady and Montana played on an even playing field, or Brady has done enough to make up for that..well..I don't know what to tell you. Today's NFL has extended the careers of QBs and the level of productivity.

I'm not really into what if scenarios, but if Montana isn't destroyed by Leonard Marshall in 1990..a hit you never see on anyone today much less quarterbacks..I'm fairly confident we are talking about 5, possibly 6 Super Bowls for him.

Going undefeated in the Super Bowl is a joke stat? Wow...

I'm not clinging to anything. I'm someone who has been lucky enough to have watched both these guys play an have an informed opinion. I'm not saying I'm right, but I have a damn good argument..see prior post...
            All these years later I stand by the opinion Montana led 49ers beat the Cowboys in 92. Ironically I think it also meant the Cowboys win the next 3 not dropping that game in 94. But thats just my crazy imagination nothing tangible.
            Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• shag773
              • Jul 2009

I guess Joe Montana never won low scoring games...

That doesn't change the context. 14 points were good enough to go ahead with two minutes left in the game.

He put his team in position to win the game.
              He did? The Giants scored the 4th lowest points for a winning team in Super Bowl history in that game. It's too much too ask for an offense that set a record for most points in the regular season to score more than 17 points in that game?

That defense was good, but good enough to hold that offense to 14 points?

Don't get me wrong, Tom Brady is an all time great. This last SB gets him close.
              But when you are making an argument about the best of all time, that game is pretty hard to miss.

He gets number 5 though, I don't have much of an argument.

Comment

Working...