X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Steel Mamba
    Well yeah because Fedors striking is based off of boxing, whereas Machidas is not. So, I can't judge him on what he's not trying to do. You can say that the style itself is bad, but given the results he has had with it that's going to be a hard sell.

His striking is great and you know this, you even said that Rashad should have taken Machida down, and Rashad has pretty good hands and always comes out with a solid gameplan for the standup battle. He's very, very hard for anyone to strike with and we'll continue to see that.
    you're holding fedor to a much higher standard than silva and machida, silva has competed in kickboxing and boxing at lower levels and hasnt done great, Machida has fought in karate tournaments and done well, but K1 is the highest level for kickboxing stylists, just like Andy Hug and couple other shotokan fighters have done, the same style as machida

both have not faced the level of striking that fedor has, but you think these guys are way better strikers just on looks, you seem to just try and knock fedor for his technique and give him zero credit for his competiton level and are not holding machida and silva to the same standard
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• EmpireWF
      Giants in the Super Bowl
      • Mar 2009

Anderson Silva does not take a lot of damage, same with Machida. With Machida, that dude just bobs and weaves his head away whenever his opponent goes for a jab or a cross. It's hilarious/amazing watching Machida avoid taking a strike.

With Silva, people are just too scared to stand and go for a combo. Rightfully so, I'd fear for my life if Silva ever got me in a Muay Thai clinch.

Is Fedor that great on his feet besides his obvious KO power? If Arlovski doesn't jump like a fool, was he about to hurt Fedor or finish the fight?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
        True Blue
        • Feb 2009

the greatest to ever step in the ring regardless of technique or whatever. now everyone stfu and bow down

Comment

• Steel Mamba
          Nasty
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Liquidrob
          Chuck has proven to be a great MMA striker, but he is not technically sound either, but thats what worked for him, the difference between Chuck and Fedor is when he has fought top strikers Fedor has beat them and Chuck has been knocked into next week
          I'm glad you actually brought up Chuck because that helps prove my point. Chuck was a product of his environment as well and was also fortunate that there weren't any great or technical strikers in the UFC's LHW division when he had his long reign as champ. I know it sounds cruel, but Chuck's striking was never good and it still isn't. That's why he has been getting dropped lately, it's not due to his age because Rampage schooled him back in 03 when Chuck was still in his prime. He's still the same fighter today, the only difference is there's now a ton of good strikers in the UFC that are able to expose the huge holes in his standup game.

Fedor is a little bit different only because he's much more willing to be versatile and doesn't rely on his striking. But, I'm telling you if he starts facing good strikers who can keep the fight standing then he's going to be in trouble. There's just no other way around it unless he cleans up his boxing. Chuck didn't fight strikers and everyone thought he was one of the best strikers ever, then he starts facing guys with some standup skill and he gets exposed. Same thing could potentially happen to Fedor, it's no coincidence.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
            Nasty
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            Anderson Silva does not take a lot of damage, same with Machida. With Machida, that dude just bobs and weaves his head away whenever his opponent goes for a jab or a cross. It's hilarious/amazing watching Machida avoid taking a strike.

With Silva, people are just too scared to stand and go for a combo. Rightfully so, I'd fear for my life if Silva ever got me in a Muay Thai clinch.

Is Fedor that great on his feet besides his obvious KO power? If Arlovski doesn't jump like a fool, was he about to hurt Fedor or finish the fight?
            Yes, finally some people are starting to come around. & look I'm not trying to bash Fedor at all, he's still by far the best MMA HW in the history of the sport. But, he has one glaring hole, and that's his standup. That's all I'm trying to say.

In terms of P4P rankings I think you have to size guys up based on their skill. In other words who would reign supreme if all weight advantages were somehow made equal. That's the way you have to look at it right? I see guys like GSP and Silva being very capable of exposing those holes in Fedors game. Again, maybe I've jumped the gun on Machida, but time will soon tell.

Comment

• Liquidrob
              Izzy is a bum
              • Feb 2009

I'm glad you actually brought up Chuck because that helps prove my point. Chuck was a product of his environment as well and was also fortunate that there weren't any great or technical strikers in the UFC's LHW division when he had his long reign as champ. I know it sounds cruel, but Chuck's striking was never good and it still isn't. That's why he has been getting dropped lately, it's not due to his age because Rampage schooled him back in 03 when Chuck was still in his prime. He's still the same fighter today, the only difference is there's now a ton of good strikers in the UFC that are able to expose the huge holes in his standup game.

Fedor is a little bit different only because he's much more willing to be versatile and doesn't rely on his striking. But, I'm telling you if he starts facing good strikers who can keep the fight standing then he's going to be in trouble. There's just no other way around it unless he cleans up his boxing. Chuck didn't fight strikers and everyone thought he was one of the best strikers ever, then he starts facing guys with some standup skill and he gets exposed. Same thing could potentially happen to Fedor, it's no coincidence.
              Chucks striking was good because he tailored it for grapplers, that was his gameplan because that what the UFC was heavy on, once they sarted to bring strikers he couldnt adapt, he got stuck in his old ways, even in 03 all he was facing was grapplers, thats how Chuck trains

Like I said, you keep saying if Fedor 'starts' to face good strikers he will be in trouble, the only problem with your theory is he has faced some great strikers and hasnt had any problems, lol, he has faced better strikers that Silva and Machida, those are facts, you still havent shown me any strikers that Silva and Machida have faced that are better than AA and Cro Cop because you cant!

Huge difference with Chuck and Fedor, not a little

Chuck against rampage twice, beatdown, Chuck against rashad put to sleep, Chuck against Jardine, beat, ect...

Fedor against Cro Cop, worked him on his feet and had Cro Cop looking sad, Fedor against AA he put into a deep sleep

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                • Feb 2009

wait, so you're saying there is not 5 elite fighters in each weight class?

ok, I'll name some

HW

Fedor
                Barnett
                AA
                I'll throw in Brock and Mir and leave Tim out for you, but Tim is argueable because of who he fought and Mir and Brock are the 'champs'
                Brock
                Mir

LHW

Machida
                Rampage

Forrest
                Shogun
                Rashad

MW

Silva
                Lawler
                Okami
                Belfort
                Winner of Bisping/Hendo
                Depending on weight, Mousasi is right there at MW and on the verge of LHW
                Winner of Maia and Nate is right there also

WW

GSP
                Alves
                Fitch
                Hughes
                Jake Shields

LW

Penn
                Aoki
                Hansen
                JZ
                Florian
                With guys like Alvarez, Thompson, Griffin, etc.. right behind them

So, there are atleast 5 a weight class, throw in Rich at MW or LHW if he does something, alos left out Wand and Cro Cop if they make a splash, Nick Diaz wherever you put him, I'm sure I''m missing more, this is just off the top of my head

The bolded/underlined are "elite".
                The rest are top tier contenders.
                Shogun, Hendo , Aoki have had sub par performances but can easily put out a great fight and raise there grade.

I have to differentiate. You CANT be elite just based on your ranking. Thats like putting Kllitshcrap in the same class as Pacman/Mayweather. Definite difference between blue chip guys and next level.
                Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                  Izzy is a bum
                  • Feb 2009

Yes, finally some people are starting to come around. & look I'm not trying to bash Fedor at all, he's still by far the best MMA HW in the history of the sport. But, he has one glaring hole, and that's his standup. That's all I'm trying to say.
                  You keep saying it is a glaring hole, but has faced some of the best strikers in MMA and has dispatched of them all, thats the problem with your statement

I am using facts about fighters he has beat, you are creating mythical fighters that dont currently exist

Ok, I agree with you than, if Fedor fights a fighter with Pro Level Boxing hands, K1 level kicks, gold medal olympic level wreslting, sub defense and submission skills of a ADCC winner than I think he might lose

You happy now? lol

Comment

• Liquidrob
                    Izzy is a bum
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF

I said it before and will say it again, that round is becoming the most overrated round in MMA history, the only thing AA was going on to do was win the round, lol @ hurt, Fedor did not take 1 clean shot, besides a push kick that pissed him off enough to put AA's head into orbit there was nothing you could pull from that fight

It was not even 4 minutes of action, did AA's hands look sharp? yes, did he damage Fedor? No, did Fedor KO him? yes

You dont see anything in Fedors stand up besides his power? You dont see his speed, his relentless flurries, the ability to avoid a clean shot, going 15 minutes with Cro Cop and winning the fight on his feet, please

Yes, Silva and Machida look really great, but they have never faced any fighters as good as in the striking department as Cro Cop and AA, you think Silva is throwing behind the back kicks against a Cro Cop? Hell no, you think Machida is not going to take some shots against a fast, counter style like AA with his level of boxing?

Franklin, Bonnar, Cote, Leben, etc...dont equal the striking ability of Cro Cop or AA, the best striker that either have them has faced is Rashad and he is still coming into his own and forgot about the entire MMA gameplan
                    Last edited by Liquidrob; 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Liquidrob
                      Izzy is a bum
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                      The bolded/underlined are "elite".
                      The rest are top tier contenders.
                      Shogun, Hendo , Aoki have had sub par performances but can easily put out a great fight and raise there grade.

I have to differentiate. You CANT be elite just based on your ranking. Thats like putting Kllitshcrap in the same class as Pacman/Mayweather. Definite difference between blue chip guys and next level.
                      Seems like you are splitting hairs, there is a fine line between elite and top tier in your opinion

you are also putting to much stock in 1 bad performance for some of these fighters, Shougn was top 5 p4p talks just 2 fights ago, than he fights forrest off an injury and beats coleman and chuck now he is now not elite?

Aoki lost at 170, he is still a beast at 155, just like BJ is at 155, hendo was holding 2 belts and than lost a close 1 to Rampage, lost to Silva and than beat franklin and right in line for another title shot

Fitch has 1 loss in the UFC, a 5 rounder to GSP, Alves is the number 1 contender for 170

Why is Hansen not elite? Him and Aoki fight the top LW all the time, something BJ never does even though I think he is the best at 155, his 155 resume isnt that impressive since he beat Gomi a couple years ago

You are just cutting it to thin IMO, these guys I listed are pretty much the elite of there weight class and the sport, you can come up with different reasons why they fall, but these guys are the guys

So looking at your list there is only 1 elite fighter at HW, WW and LW, come on
                      Last edited by Liquidrob; 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
                        Nasty
                        • Nov 2008

Chucks striking was good because he tailored it for grapplers,
                        hm shouldn't you be saying the same about Chuck as you have with Silva and Machida?

It is relevent for them to beat some top level stikers if you want to say they are great strikers, Silva has fought kickboxing and lost against Pele, has fought boxing and hasnt done that well, he looks pretty when he fights guys he is way better than, but until he beats some top flight strikers you cant really tell

Like Sherk, pretty on the pads, never does well striking in fights, BJ boxed him up with just a jab and a little reach, I wouldnt call Sherk an elite striker

Silva and Machida seem to be great MMA strikers, but they havent done it against top strikers yet

You say Fedor isnt a great striker but has KO'ed 1 of the best technical boxers in MMA and took it to K1 level strikers, something neither Silva or Machida has done

So, why do you down those two for not fighting strikers, but give Chuck a pass when he didn't fight strikers either and when he did he got dropped.....

Comment

• Liquidrob
                          Izzy is a bum
                          • Feb 2009

hm shouldn't you be saying the same about Chuck as you have with Silva and Machida?

So, why do you down those two for not fighting strikers, but give Chuck a pass when he didn't fight strikers either and when he did he got dropped.....
                          I didnt give Chuck a pass, I said he was a great MMA striker against grapplers and got exposed against quality strikers, Chuck also has fought better strikers than both Machida and Silva

I also have never said Silva and Machida are not great, I just said you cant say how amazing they are yet because they havent fought any quality strikers when comparing them against Fedor

Are they great strikers? Yes it seems they are, Have they beat any great strikers? No

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                            Throbbing Tebowner
                            • Oct 2008

So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Liquidrob
                              Izzy is a bum
                              • Feb 2009

LMAO

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                                • Feb 2009

lololol at the gif.