X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liquidrob
    Izzy is a bum
    • Feb 2009

Strikeforce thoughts

After this last event, just some thoughts, more on the production side, not about the fights

Nice to have the ref cam, it brings back the old pride days a little for me and nice to see what the ref is watching

Gus Johnson is good, he still has a screw up every now and than, like when Cyborg had Ginas back and said she was looking for a guillotine, lol, I think W2B is correct, needs to just be Gus and Frank and put Mauro on the challeneger series, 3 man both is to much

Entrances are meh, but they are stuck in between the UFC walk out and the crazy Japanese style ones, they need to go 1 way or the other, also they almost fried Babalu, lol, shit like that cant happen

The 'Keys to the cage' doesnt work, they dont really match up well with the fighters style anyways, maybe just break down the fighter and put that segment somewhere else, more of an educational tool in the beginning of the night

They needed to show 1 more fight, I think Showtime only gave them a 2 hour block, but a couple fights went fast, they should have showed the Taylor/Hieron fight

Read that they had 13,500 in attendence, crowd has really live like they always are in San Jose, not a bad number, so looks like they made some money just off the live gate even with all the changes
    Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

• Kuzzy Powers
    Beautiful Like Moses
    • Oct 2008

A show with huge potential ended up being pretty poor. Shame too cause this was a good chance to win over some more casual fans. But anyone who was fresh that tuned in definitely wasnt won over by this show.

Comment

• Liquidrob
      Izzy is a bum
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
      A show with huge potential ended up being pretty poor. Shame too cause this was a good chance to win over some more casual fans. But anyone who was fresh that tuned in definitely wasnt won over by this show.
      I dont know, average Joe doesnt like long fights in general, had a quick sub, I brutal KO by Mousasi (people remember that kind of stuff), the Gil/Ishida fight was good and the Gina/Cyborg fight was intense for the entire round

I remember on one of the Kimbo fights, the guys at work watched and they didnt like the Lawler/Smith fight, that was the best fight for MMA fans, lol

unless you are talking about the production side and not the fights
      Last edited by Liquidrob; 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
        Beautiful Like Moses
        • Oct 2008

Im talking about the fights.. they were garbage. If you need to look moderate proof go to your thread in the Soap Box and see a new fan talking about being unimpressed, and I dont blame them. The Melendez/Ishida fight lacked substance and flash.. IMO it was the fight of the night, but it was nothing thats going to appeal to a new fan. The Gina-Cyborg fight was EXTREMELY anti-climatic.. everyone was expecting a great war and we got a one-sided beat-down instead. Im sure people enjoy seeing brutal KO's like Mousassi's, but for what was described as the potential fight of the night, it really didnt deliver at all. And I dont know how entertained people were by Mike Kyle's complete inability to fight on the ground, but I wasnt. Werdum is a beast.. we know that.. but casual fans dont. They see that and say "why was this fight so one-sided and over so quickly?"

The production doesnt help either. But you cant honestly tell me you'd consider this event a good one for drawing new viewers. It was a huge disappointment.
        Last edited by Kuzzy Powers; 08-17-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Liquidrob
          Izzy is a bum
          • Feb 2009

so you're saying that the new fans who watched wouldnt watch the next one?

I think you are going a little overboard

Comment

• clovett
            • Mar 2009

other than maybe the werdum fight, how were the the fights garbage??

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
              Beautiful Like Moses
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by clovett
              other than maybe the werdum fight, how were the the fights garbage??
              Are you serious? The 2 main events were supposed to be wars and instead were both short, one-sided destructions. As far as what I was expecting I would consider that result to not be good. As a fight fan I know quick finishes are a part of the game, but to the casual fan.. when you're marketting something as a main event, or co-main event, they're expecting competition. Neither of those fights were competitive.

The show was a huge let-down. Again, as a fight fan, it was moderately expected because of the injury issues, but the two fights I expected to be competitive were far from it.

Comment

• Anthony
                In Brendan we trust.
                • Jun 2009

I myself was not impressed with the Strikeforce event. All the fights were one-sided. Yea Babalu is great, but did anyone really think he was going to beat Mousasi?. Did anyone really believe Werdum, Melendez & Cyborg were going to lose?. I think not. With the exception of the Gina vs Cyborg fight in which most of us were thinking with our dicks.

They didn't even televise the Taylor vs Hieron fight to make up for such shitty bouts. We can compare this to an Elite XC show minus Gary Shaw & Kevin Ferguson.
                Last edited by Anthony; 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                  Beautiful Like Moses
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Liquidrob
                  so you're saying that the new fans who watched wouldnt watch the next one?

I think you are going a little overboard
                  Not necessarily.. I think people will still tune in and give a free show a chance. I just think people were let down by what they saw.

I may be going a little over-board tho, but thats just how I see it. The female face of MMA got absolutely disected and I dont think thats really want people were hoping for. Atleast going down with a good fight would've been better from the stand-point of attracting more viewers. You think people were "water cool talking" about recommendations to watch the next MMA show after Saturday's event? I dont see it.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
                    Nasty
                    • Nov 2008

It was better than the last UFC event.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
                      Nasty
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
                      Are you serious? The 2 main events were supposed to be wars and instead were both short, one-sided destructions.it.

You guys are biased. The same thing happens in the UFC events, but when it happens there you guys label fights like Hendo/Bisping as the best fight of the year and crave more of those shitty matchups.

Comment

• Anthony
                        In Brendan we trust.
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Steel Mamba
                        You guys are biased. The same thing happens in the UFC events, but when it happens there you guys label fights like Hendo/Bisping as the best fight of the year and crave more of those shitty matchups.
                        The difference is - The UFC is an established organization with a HUGE fan base. Strikeforce is not.
                        They can afford to throw mediocre cards out every now & then, can the same be said about Strikeforce?.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                          Beautiful Like Moses
                          • Oct 2008

Lmao @ me saying Bisping/Hendo was fight of the year. GTFO dude..

You're obviously missing the point here.. established fans dont mind events like these. Trying to draw fans is the problem here. Noone is going to be hyping up the awesome Strikefroce show to their friends or co-workers and telling them to watch next time after this event. If you dont think it was a let-down, you're the one thats bias.. but in Strikeforce's favour.

A shitty event is a shitty event to me.. the last UFC event was highly mediocre. UFC 100 was a huge let-down for the press it was receiving too, but atleast the UFC got to market all their stars as winners during the event, lol. If you honestly believe people wanted to see Guy-Borg destroy Gina in 5 minutes.. you're smoking the rock. If Gina goes down with a fight its all good.. getting destructed isnt a good look. Your co-main event sharing similar fate aswell.

People would rather see Kimbo fight a scrub than dudes they've never heard of end fights quickly and the chick they jerk off to getting destroyed in 1 round. Face reality.

Comment

• Anthony
                            In Brendan we trust.
                            • Jun 2009

It was better than the last UFC event.
                            and, no it was not.

Gina was their main attraction & she got ass raped. Which one of Gina fans is now going to root for Cyborg? Name one, don't worry i'll wait....

On the other hand, one of the UFC's poster boys just got ass raped (Forrest Griffin) and most of his fans are now on the Anderson Silva Express.

There wasn't one fight on that entire card that entertained me, the Ishida vs Melendez fight was their best fight & it was lop-sided. It was all Melendez from the get go, a complete beat-down.
                            Last edited by Anthony; 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• clovett
                              • Mar 2009

so because the fights didnt go the distance and you were disappointed you say the fights were garbage? lmao

Comment

Working...