Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leaffan
    Colton Orr Fan
    • Feb 2009

Sounds like by tomorrow Zherdev is going to be a flyer.

1 year deal. No other details given.

Other flyer news Gagne was on RDS (french affiliate of TSN) that he has not waived his NTC.

Flyers are going to have to dump some salary here soon.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• wingsfan77
      • Aug 2009

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what happens, no way in hell I'd take Zherdev if it means dumping Gagne, so I guess we'll see.

Comment

• leaffan
        Colton Orr Fan
        • Feb 2009

I don't see anything confirming this yet but: Eric Fehr re-signs, 2 years, $4.4 million. Done Deal.

If so good job Caps.

Edit - Found a link that confirms it.

Comment

• leaffan
          Colton Orr Fan
          • Feb 2009

.... wat?

Some NHL execs think Philly will place Gagne on waivers, if a trade isn't found very soon.

Interesting.

Comment

• wingsfan77
            • Aug 2009

That would piss me off pretty bad

Comment

• Apocalypse
              • Nov 2008

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Mike Modano: It's Red Wings or retirement

Detroit -- Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Red Wings.

"There isn't any other team," said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch's suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. "It will be here or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that."

Modano, the highest scoring American-born player in NHL history, spent the day with Ilitch, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock.

"This is kind of intriguing," he said of the opportunity to finish his career in his hometown. "It's a great team, a great situation as far as coming home. There are a lot of positives to it."

The only question Modano needs to answer is whether at age 40 he can muster the energy for a 21st NHL season.

"The last couple of years have been tough and they've taken a toll on me, mentally more than anything else," he said. "Physically, I still feel fine and I can play, but you have to try and get that excitement back about playing.

"If I could get it here, it's probably a given with the talent and the type of team they have. To be able to go out winning another Stanley Cup, that would be phenomenal."

The Red Wings made it clear he would be a valuable part of their 2010-11 roster. He spent a lot of time playing left wing the last couple years in Dallas, but Holland said Modano would be the third-line center with the Wings.

"I think part of what he's going through is, you are talking about a player who's been with one club his entire career and then eight days ago he was told they were moving on without him," Holland said. "I hate speaking for him, but I'm sure that's part of his process. 'Do I want to leave? Do I have enough energy? I'm not going some place to be a fourth-line left winger when I'm a centerman."

The Wings are expected to offer Modano close to a $1 million for next season. After signing Drew Miller to a one-year deal worth $650,000 Tuesday, they now have 19 players signed for roughly $55 million. The salary cap next season is $59.4 million.

So, if they do sign Modano, they would have $3.4 million left to sign restricted free agents Patrick Eaves, Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm. Helm and Abdelkader would presumably battle for the fourth-line center position.

Holland said he expects both Helm and Abdelkader to be on the roster next season, even if Modano signs.

But there is a chance one of those yet unsigned players might not get signed; or there is a chance the Wings could make some other moves before the season opens to free up space.

"It's July, I'm not there yet," Holland said about the possible roster ramifications of signing Modano. "If Mike Modano joins us, then we'll see where we're at. We think he's a real good fit."

Modano has scored 557 goals during his career. He scored 15 in a limited role last year. He would most likely also play on the second power-play unit for the Wings.

"Here's our thought process: This is a Hall of Fame player. This is Mike Modano," Holland said. "He's a local player and we think he's got some good hockey left in him. He would give our team a real boost if he wants to play.

"Now we think he'd come home and be really pumped up for a year. But if he doesn't want to play, if the energy is not there, then we'll see. But Mike Babcock and I believe he will make the decision to play for all the right reasons."

Holland said there was no timetable on Modano, except for the one Modano puts on himself.

"The sooner the better," Modano said of his decision. "I know they would love to get an answer so they can get their cap and their roster situated. I don't want to delay this."
              :five:

RIP West

Comment

• leaffan
                Colton Orr Fan
                • Feb 2009

Seeing Modano in a red wings jersey is going to be really weird.

I really really think though Detroit should be worrying about getting some younger guys in there. That team in the next few years is going to lose some key players pretty fast.

Comment

• leaffan
                  Colton Orr Fan
                  • Feb 2009

Flyers have officially signed Zherdev to a one year contract. Who knows what they are going to do as they will be over the cap for sure at this point.

Gagne has to be a goner at this point.

Comment

• leaffan
                    Colton Orr Fan
                    • Feb 2009

Zherdev is a 2mil contract.

Comment

• wingsfan77
                      • Aug 2009

2 mil is okay, if they cut/waive Cote and Boucher I think it about makes up for that....who knows

Comment

• leaffan
                        Colton Orr Fan
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wingsfan77
                        2 mil is okay, if they cut/waive Cote and Boucher I think it about makes up for that....who knows
                        Getting rid of Boucher and Cote won't solve it as teams need to have 2 goalies and a min of 20 players I think.

Hartnell, Carter (Highly doubt it) or Gagne pretty much have to be on the way out.

Comment

• leaffan
                          Colton Orr Fan
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kanye
                          Still don't understand us signing Jokinen.
                          Thats cuz sutter has been drinking some terrible coolaid over the last couple years.

Comment

• Boucher
                            King of EDM
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by wingsfan77
                            There not cutting me, ive talked to my Agent :call:

Comment

• wingsfan77
                              • Aug 2009

If they didn't sign Jody freaking Shelley to $1.1 mil a year they'd be in much better shape, oh well I'll wait and see how all the moves shake out until I pass judgement

Comment

• wr50l
                                Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                                • Oct 2008

Zherdev is going to fail so horrifically. I am ecstatic to see him sign within the division.

Comment

Working...