X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaribbeanJoseph
    I Can Score Goals
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
    So I'm the idiot for thinking it's a bad idea to send the world cup to a country that doesn't allow alcohol, public signs of affection, or homosexuality; not to mention the way they treat women. I don't care what they say they'll change for the World Cup there will be a lot of fucking problems. It's a terrible fucking decision.
    Yes it's a global competition and should be hosted all over the world, not just europe or countries acceptable to the western world. I like my drink just as much as anybody and strongly support equality and gay rights, I disagree with aspects of their culture just as much as you do but just because their culture is different from ours it doesn't mean it's wrong, they think the exact same about our culture.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
      I am not Abe Kabbible
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by CaribbeanJoseph
      Yes it's a global competition and should be hosted all over the world, not just europe or countries acceptable to the western world. I like my drink just as much as anybody and strongly support equality and gay rights, I disagree with aspects of their culture just as much as you do but just because their culture is different from ours it doesn't mean it's wrong, they think the exact same about our culture.
      I'd have to disagree with you there. Persecuting someone for their sexuality is wrong regardless of 'culture'. Female circumcision and burning people as witches is the culture in some parts of Africa and stoning women for adultery is the culture in some Middle Eastern countries. 'Culture' is a piss-poor excuse for treating innocent people like shit.

Another issue, speaking of culture, have the Qataris given any indication that they are going to go against theirs and make sure that all the people that are going to build these air-conditioned, collapsible stadia are paid and treated well?

Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
        I Can Score Goals
        • Dec 2008

100% agree RA but people need to respect that people do things differently and that's their way of life, it's arrogant and small minded to think that our way is the only way.

edit: and to be frank, the majority of Americans are gonna be irrational about this

double edit: if people wanna start going down that road, there's a plethora of reason the US shouldn't host it, what about Australia's treatment of Aborigines, etc

Comment

• mgoblue2290
          Posts too much
          • Feb 2009

100% agree RA but people need to respect that people do things differently and that's their way of life, it's arrogant and small minded to think that our way is the only way.

edit: and to be frank, the majority of Americans are gonna be irrational about this

double edit: if people wanna start going down that road, there's a plethora of reason the US shouldn't host it, what about Australia's treatment of Aborigines, etc
          You are damn right I'm not going to agree with you on this. It is not small minded to think what another culture does is wrong. I strongly disagree with cultural relativism and the thinking behind it. The repression and genuine evil that occurs in a lot of countries around the world is ridiculous. It is an excuse to just hide behind culture and say an outsider wouldn't understand. They know what they're doing is wrong and so does everyone else.

I'm not saying the American way is the only way. But our culture and I guess even our morals are way better then a lot countries in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia.

Comment

• calgaryballer
            Tiote!
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
            You are damn right I'm not going to agree with you on this. It is not small minded to think what another culture does is wrong. I strongly disagree with cultural relativism and the thinking behind it. The repression and genuine evil that occurs in a lot of countries around the world is ridiculous. It is an excuse to just hide behind culture and say an outsider wouldn't understand. They know what they're doing is wrong and so does everyone else.

I'm not saying the American way is the only way. But our culture and I guess even our morals are way better then a lot countries in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia.
            The World Cup is supposed to be an inclusive place. FIFA doesn't run initiatives like 'Kick Racism Out' just so they can go to a country in which women are oppressed and gays are vilified. The Middle East is not a place where people from all corners of the world will be able to feel comfortable going. What happens if Israel should somehow come out of their WC qualifying group? While the two countries are peaceful, Qatar has been quite vocal in their support for Hamas and has a ban on Israeli citizens entering their country

Caribbean, I think you are being facetious by comparing Qatar to the treatment of Aboriginees in Australia or Native Americans in the US. While that was/is a terrible thing, most governments and citizens of those countries recognize that wrong doing and have taken steps to apologize. Whether those steps are far enough (Native Americans in America still feel marginalized) it is not an outright ban on a type of expression.

Sure, Qatar will 'change' their rules for that one month period. But that will be like China hiding all their poor people when they hosted the Olympics. Problems aren't being solved, they are being hidden from the Western world. Like GoBlue, different cultures are to be cherished and enjoyed. As someone who has been to 30+ countries so far in my life, there is really no way I would want to travel to Qatar with my fiance. It can only pale in comparison to the time I had in Germany for WC06 and Austria for Euro08. Why? Because I didn't have to check my beer at a designated drinking zone. I didn't have to make sure my fiance is fully covered in 50+ celsius temperatures.

I can't wait for the fan reports to come back from this WC. I am planning on going to WC2014, and I'd like to go to WC2018. I just don't really see anyway that I find going to Qatar to be a worthwhile experience.

Comment

• kmanharris
              Seven
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
              The World Cup is supposed to be an inclusive place. FIFA doesn't run initiatives like 'Kick Racism Out' just so they can go to a country in which women are oppressed and gays are vilified. The Middle East is not a place where people from all corners of the world will be able to feel comfortable going. What happens if Israel should somehow come out of their WC qualifying group? While the two countries are peaceful, Qatar has been quite vocal in their support for Hamas.

Caribbean, I think you are being facetious by comparing Qatar to the treatment of Aboriginees in Australia or Native Americans in the US. While that was/is a terrible thing, most governments and citizens of those countries recognize that wrong doing and have taken steps to apologize. Whether those steps are far enough (Native Americans in America still feel marginalized) it is not an outright ban on a type of expression.

Sure, Qatar will 'change' their rules for that one month period. But that will be like China hiding all their poor people when they hosted the Olympics. Problems aren't being solved, they are being hidden from the Western world. Like GoBlue, different cultures are to be cherished and enjoyed. As someone who has been to 30+ countries so far in my life, there is really no way I would want to travel to Qatar with my fiance. It can only pale in comparison to the time I had in Germany for WC06 and Austria for Euro08. Why? Because I didn't have to check my beer at a designated drinking zone. I didn't have to make sure my fiance is fully covered in 50+ celsius temperatures.

I can't wait for the fan reports to come back from this WC. I am planning on going to WC2014, and I'd like to go to WC2018. I just don't really see anyway that I find going to Qatar to be a worthwhile experience.
              How the fuck can you afford to go to all those WCs? PM me if you have any tips on getting better deals lol

Comment

• calgaryballer
                Tiote!
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by kmanharris
                How the fuck can you afford to go to all those WCs? PM me if you have any tips on getting better deals lol
                I typically save a boat load in between. I also usually plan trips around those times regardless. For WC2006, I had been in Europe backpacking for a month before it even started. Euro08 I had been in Europe for 2 months before it started.

The next two, now that I have a job, will be my primary focus for a summer vacation. I would love to backpack South America with a stop in the middle for some WC action, but it might not be reasonable.

Getting to the countries is relatively cheap, and you can find decent accommodation if you look far enough ahead. Match tickets are your biggest expense, but if you are OK going to one of the lesser matches or out of the way venues, then it's a bit cheaper

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                  I Can Score Goals
                  • Dec 2008

The World Cup is supposed to be an inclusive place. FIFA doesn't run initiatives like 'Kick Racism Out' just so they can go to a country in which women are oppressed and gays are vilified. The Middle East is not a place where people from all corners of the world will be able to feel comfortable going. What happens if Israel should somehow come out of their WC qualifying group? While the two countries are peaceful, Qatar has been quite vocal in their support for Hamas.

Not sure where you got Native Americans from? Aborigines are still treated like shit today it's not a thing of the past. I don't support those laws and they're completely against my own personal beliefs, I strongly support gay rights (I'm fron San Fran) and equality.

My problem is people have never been to these places to experience it first hand, don't know a whole lot about them besides what the western media reports, don't understand the culture/way of life and particularly when it comes to the Middle East, are horribly biased (which is somewhat understandable).

I don't agree with what goes on but I respect that they do things differently and its their country and that that's the way things are done. This whole our way is the only/better way is what pisses me off and the 'world police' attitude is why most of the world hates us. Fucked up shit goes on in every country (US, UK, in Europe, etc.), our hands are far from clean and we really aren't in a position to criticise.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                    Posts too much
                    • Feb 2009

Not sure where you got Native Americans from? Aborigines are still treated like shit today it's not a thing of the past. I don't support those laws and they're completely against my own personal beliefs, I strongly support gay rights (I'm fron San Fran) and equality.

My problem is people have never been to these places to experience it first hand, don't know a whole lot about them besides what the western media reports, don't understand the culture/way of life and particularly when it comes to the Middle East, are horribly biased (which is somewhat understandable).

I don't agree with what goes on but I respect that they do things differently and its their country and that that's the way things are done. This whole our way is the only/better way is what pisses me off and the 'world police' attitude is why most of the world hates us. Fucked up shit goes on in every country (US, UK, in Europe, etc.), our hands are far from clean and we really aren't in a position to criticise.
                    Doing things differently is fine. But when those things you do differently oppress a certain group of people, or kill/maim innocents for what are really minor or even non transgressions, is wrong. Citizens of the countries where these things happen who do nothing should be ashamed.

Please. If America said you know what, fuck the rest of the world and just went home people would not be pleased. It is a very damned if you, damned if you don't situation. The shit that goes on our country is not even close to as bad as what happens in other countries.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                      Tiote!
                      • Mar 2009

Israeli citizens are banned from entering that country. That's not 'world police', that is institutionalized discrimination. Find me a similar policy in the western world and I will concede the point

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                        Posts too much
                        • Feb 2009

Israeli citizens are banned from entering that country. That's not 'world police', that is institutionalized discrimination. Find me a similar policy in the western world and I will concede the point
                        The ban of burqas in France? That really doesn't even come close though.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                          Tiote!
                          • Mar 2009

The ban of burqas in France?
                          The only reason that ban is an issue is because Muslim people are allowed in France. It'd be like banning Muslim's because they don't want burqas

EDIT - to clarify, I do think bans like this are silly. While they can be oppressive, I do think many Muslim women wear them as a choice. Banning that choice is not something I agree with.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                            Posts too much
                            • Feb 2009

The only reason that ban is an issue is because Muslim people are allowed in France. It'd be like banning Muslim's because they don't want burqas
                            Yeah but you could still argue it as a form of institutionalized discrimination, even though the French government says they're doing it to free the women, even though many Muslim women choose to wear it.

I agree though, it still isn't even close to Qatar's laws regarding Israelis.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                              Tiote!
                              • Mar 2009

Yeah but you could still argue it as a form of institutionalized discrimination, even though the French government says they're doing it to free the women, even though many Muslim women choose to wear it.

I agree though, it still isn't even close to Qatar's laws regarding Israelis.
                              Pretty much the same point I wanted to make in my edit.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                                I Can Score Goals
                                • Dec 2008

Qatar have already said if they qualify there will be no issue with them competing.

They can't enter because Qatar doesn't recognise Israel as a state, this is nothing unique to Qatar, it's a show of Arab unity and the majority of Arab countries don't. It's a deep rooted issue in the area that is 100s of years old and to be brutally honest Israel only have themselves to blame.

Comment

Working...