• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by heelswxman
    I never understand this argument.

What happens if you don't live in a market with a MLS club? Are you then a glory hunter no matter what club you support? What if he supports a club like Metz? MLS fans have a major superiority complex.
    And non MLS fans are fuckin cunts towards the MLS for reasons unknown to me.

I'm sure PP would enjoy watching the continued rise of the USSF, not that the MLS has played any role in this or anything. The fact that more average sports fans in the US actually giving a shit about the sport wouldn't have anything else to do with it either, no?

Every nation with international dreams needs domestic club leagues, levels of them, to grow talent.

I don't know why Americans who are fans of UEFA clubs shit on the MLS so hard, I really don't get it.

I mean yeah thanks to all the Captain Obvious' for the constant reminder it's 2nd rate middle of the pack (globally) football. Yeah my local club got humped at home today 6 to fucking 2 because they continue to play a system they quite simply do not have the talent to play, but what the fuck ever it's what we have which just 5 years ago I didn't have.

It's local football, it's growing the game in CONCACAF and more importantly to me in Canada. Fuckin piss off if you don't like it, but stop shitting on something you're fucking benefiting from you stupid North American cunts.

Comment

• killgod
      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by heelswxman
      I don't shit on North American Soccer.

But I hate the MLS fans that act like if you're from North America that you can't root for a European club. I'm sorry if after all the football I've watched MLS soccer just doesn't appeal to me. It's the equivalent of you watching European basketball and then saying I'm a chump for liking the Lakers.

You want to know why I don't watch the MLS? It's because the standard of play is so low. That's the only reason. There are so many leagues I have to try and keep up with and I don't have time for leagues that aren't really playing top notch football.

My original point remains the same. Am I a glory hunter if I don't live in a market that has an MLS club? If you're American and you support a European club, does that automatically make you a gloryhunter?

I tried rooting for DC United, but I lost interest in that after about a month. The league has such insane rules with regards to contracts, and the way the leagues and titles are run have been Americanized to the point that I don't really see the point.
      How many North Americans decide to root for non world class clubs? Very fucking few. You pick a top end side and run with it, you don't commit to something that needs to be built from nothing, you pick the winner wearing your favourite color and call it your own.

It's not that you can't root for one, but don't act as if you're some form of higher level fan because you cheer on a world class club that wins where you simply just picked them because they were a good team.

I sure know a fuck ton of Man U/Barca/Madrid/Man City/Arsenal/etc fans that like those teams because they are good. Is that not the definition of glory hunting or fucking what? It has nothing to do with the MLS, it's a matter of supporting a side for them being a winner at the time of your choosing.

Then again, why else would you choose a side? I guess it's not something you can really win unless you have another legitimate reason for it.

Regarding the MLS. It's not as poor as it's made out to be by followers of the best leagues in the world but that's simply a matter of opinion. It's good enough to be enjoyed which is really all that matters.

The "Americanized" comment is also an exaggeration and bit of ignorance as to why things have to be a certain way. The league would have folded shop before it's 10th birthday without the structure in place now. Markets and fanbases need to have dedication and history built up, if some owners came in with no limit to what they could do financially, most teams wouldn't be able to compete because there's not enough revenue for it.

I don't care if you don't like it, but to shit on it is completely retarded when you take pleasure out of what it's brought to the sport in this part of the world.

There's 6 or 7 MLS players on the US Gold Cup squad with a couple former MLS players who moved on to Europe. Would these players found their way on the US roster without having a league like the MLS available to play in? Or would they be still fighting for recognition in lower tier Europe leagues without MLS?

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
        I literally know nothing.
        • Jul 2009

I chose to support Everton (known for their amazing mid table finishes) because of the players on the team, like Cahill and Howard. I tried to follow the Galaxy, but like heels said the level of play is low and the rules are to Americanized. It just didn't catch my attention.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
          Posts too much
          • Feb 2009

I would love to follow the MLS if Detroit had a team. Its hard for me to get into it when there is no local team and the level of play isn't all that great. I chose Liverpool because I randomly played with them in Football Manager 2008 and then I began reading up on club history and watching videos. The number one reason I went with them? Their fans. Liverpool fans are absolutely ridiculously and live and die with the team unlike anything else I've ever seen. I've really only followed them for two seasons where we've finished 7th and 6th, but we do have an illustrious history so you can call me a glory hunter if you want.

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

I'm not gonna deny being a glory hunter, but being from Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America, what choice do I have? To say I'm a fan of the A-league Atlanta Silverbacks and THAT'S IT? Or do I jump on a random MLS bandwagon for no reason?

GO FC DALLAS.

Yeah. Glory hunting is the only option most yanks have.

Comment

• calgaryballer
              Tiote!
              • Mar 2009

As a North American fan, the ways to get into European footie are limited. You either have family who bring you in to a team (perhaps an expat Man U fan), you pick a big team, or it's something entirely arbitrary.

The reason I'm a Newcastle fan is because of FIFA 99. I found Alan Shearer, bagged in a bazillion goals with him, and when soccer became easier to access here in N America (via Sportsnet, TSN, streaming), there was no reason for me to change

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by calgaryballer
                As a North American fan, the ways to get into European footie are limited. You either have family who bring you in to a team (perhaps an expat Man U fan), you pick a big team, or it's something entirely arbitrary.

The reason I'm a Newcastle fan is because of FIFA 99. I found Alan Shearer, bagged in a bazillion goals with him, and when soccer became easier to access here in N America (via Sportsnet, TSN, streaming), there was no reason for me to change
                A good friend of mine is from Newcastle and he worships Shearer. But I guess that's to be expected.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                  I literally know nothing.
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                  I would love to follow the MLS if Detroit had a team. Its hard for me to get into it when there is no local team and the level of play isn't all that great.
                  Exactly. If Detroit were ever to get a team I think I'd follow the MLS more. Being able to go to the games would be a huge bonus, plus tv coverage.

Comment

• wr50l
                    Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                    • Oct 2008

You guys all pick your team for the wrong reason. Everybody knows you should pick a team based on religious grounds.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                      Tiote!
                      • Mar 2009

Is there an Atheist team? St Pauli?

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                        Late to the party.
                        • Jun 2009

St. Pauli have quickly become my favorite team on the continent. That is all.
                        Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                        If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                          I sure know a fuck ton of Man U/Barca/Madrid/Man City/Arsenal/etc fans that like those teams because they are good. Is that not the definition of glory hunting or fucking what? It has nothing to do with the MLS, it's a matter of supporting a side for them being a winner at the time of your choosing.

Then again, why else would you choose a side? I guess it's not something you can really win unless you have another legitimate reason for it.

I guess I apologize for not being born 100 year earlier so I could start following the team when they were founded. I grew up playing soccer and the MLS was always a joke to me. I could never get into and always preferred the EPL and SPL. I started following ManU because of guys like Beckham and Rooney. When Ronaldo went there I nearly jizzed because the team then had 2 of my favorite players.

Celtic FC I started following because I randomly stumbled on a game of theirs one day on FSC and enjoyed the way they played. I'll be the first to admit I've been a shitty soccer fan for the last few years because I've had too much shit going on in my life otherwise but I find it ridiculous that it should be held against a fan that they picked a team because they are good or are in a premier league. It's like getting pissy with American football fans because they started out at Cowboys fans rather than starting rooting for an AFL team.

The MLS has no "soul" to me. I get little to no enjoyment in watching the game. I don't say shit about the MLS though unless someone brings it up and starts pumping it up to be more than it is.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                            The Greatest
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                            It's like getting pissy with American football fans because they started out at Cowboys fans rather than starting rooting for an AFL team.
                            Except it's not. Why do you support the Bears instead of teams that have dominated the league like the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, or recently New England?

How many people on these forums stick with the closest football team, even if they're not in the same state, but when it comes to soccer, "Sorry, it's gotta be within an hour driving distance for me."

I don't see single fucking fan on these boards or many others that supports a Championship squad or lower. It's Top 4 English, or Top 2 Spanish.

Outside of Newcastle, what other squad that's not named Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, or Chelsea do people on this forum support in the EPL?

You have no problem supporting local teams in every sport, except soccer? Why is that? Talent level? That's a fucking cop out, if that was the case, how the fuck do the Lions have a fan base? Amazing how all the horrible teams that there are in this country all have big fanbases, yet people won't support MLS teams because the talent isn't as good as the EPL.

The reason the MLS is run the way it is, is because of teams like the Cosmos who everyone thinks was so great. The Cosmos were the destruction of American soccer and set the country back 100 years.

Comment

• 1ke
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                              • Mar 2009

I groaned the original post of Prod cuz Im tired of explaining it. This is at least the 3rd or 4th time, that I, myself have said this....

To me, there is nothing wrong with the MLS. I live in Milwaukee. The Fire are closest to me. It doesnt appeal to me, when I have watched United my WHOLE life. I started watching them and got into when my brother had a game on and I was about 9 or 10.

Now if Prod wants to say that, fine, my issue is that he KEEPS saying it to us. Im sure ill explain this again at some point though.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                                The Greatest
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by 1ke
                                I groaned the original post of Prod cuz Im tired of explaining it. This is at least the 3rd or 4th time, that I, myself have said this....

To me, there is nothing wrong with the MLS. I live in Milwaukee. The Fire are closest to me. It doesnt appeal to me, when I have watched United my WHOLE life. I started watching them and got into when my brother had a game on and I was about 9 or 10.

Now if Prod wants to say that, fine, my issue is that he KEEPS saying it to us. Im sure ill explain this again at some point though.
                                So, have you ever called someone a bandwagon fan?

Comment

Working...