X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calgaryballer
    Tiote!
    • Mar 2009

Rumours are Jagielka for £16.5 mil and Mata for £17.5 mil. If they come true, happy days for Arsenal fans

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
      I literally know nothing.
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by calgaryballer
      Rumours are Jagielka for £16.5 mil and Mata for £17.5 mil. If they come true, happy days for Arsenal fans
      I hate to see Jags go, but it's better him than Rodwell. If it goes through it looks like Heitinga will move to the center with Distin, as I can't think of anyone else playing center defense for us.

Comment

• Survivor
        Sporting Spirit
        • Dec 2009

I've decided to try and follow the Bundesliga this season. I need some insight on which club to follow, preferably an up-and-comer with good owners and attractive kits. Heels? Anyone?

Comment

• calgaryballer
          Tiote!
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Survivor
          I've decided to try and follow the Bundesliga this season. I need some insight on which club to follow, preferably an up-and-comer with good owners and attractive kits. Heels? Anyone?
          All owners are good in Germany, save for perhaps 1860's. My advice? Go here and pick a team

If I had to say I had 'one' team, it'd probably be Monchengladbach. But Germany is a league that I enjoy just to enjoy and will watch everyone. I can't even hate Bayern because I love Munich so much and they were all so nice when I went to their stadium.

For an up/coming team, last year I'd have said Dortmund. Problem is they've arrived, so now you'd look like a front runner picking the champs. If you like the lovable loser, Leverkusen has some youngsters and finished second last year.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
            • Feb 2009

Outside of supporting Bayern, I'm not sure you can go wrong in the Bundesliga. Pretty much every club has some history and some aspects that make them interesting. Its a tough league to predict for who is going to do well season to season (outside of Bayern, who are usually up there). Most clubs have some quality talent and few play ugly football.

My two favorites are Hamburg and Bayer Leverkusen. Hamburg grabbed my attention a few years ago, when they had the likes of Rafael van der Vaart, Nigel de Jong, and Vincent Kompany. All gone but still some talent and they are solid enough.

Leverkusen are one of the "soulless" clubs, at least in the eyes of other supporters. Its because they are corporate owned, which is rare in Germany - Bayer being the the pharmasutetcal company. They have never won a league title. Which makes them unique in that they have won a UEFA Cup and played in a Champions League final - I'm quite certain they are the only club to manage those feats and never win their dominestic league. They have some impressive talent and could compete for the Bundesliga title this season.

Do some reading on the clubs in the league and see what grabs you. If that doesn't work, wait until the season starts and watch a few matches. One of the clubs will resontate with you and there you go...

Comment

• Chrispy
              Needs a hobby
              • Dec 2008

Juergen Klinsmann hired to coach U.S. men's soccer national team - http://es.pn/owdXmW

Comment

• Chrispy
                Needs a hobby
                • Dec 2008

English football is in need of an overhaul to protect it from the danger of rising debt and financial instability, according to a report by MPs.

The Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee have produced a scything report which has labelled the Football Association Council as "not fit for purpose."

MPs have called for measures to curb the game's "excesses" and a "strong fit and proper persons test."

They would also like to the end of insolvency rules, which they believe encourage "excessive financial risk-taking" which they felt would be "illegal" in all other areas of business.

The committee warned that if football did not take the necessary steps to clean up the game then they would.

"As a last resort, in the absence of substantive progress, we recommend that the Government consider introducing legislation to require the FA to implement the necessary governance reforms in line with its duties as a governing body," it said.

Committee

The committee said the FA needed "urgent reform" if it was to change the game.

"The principle that the FA Council should act as the parliament of football is a good one. However, the FA Council as currently constructed is not fit for this purpose," it said.

The committee expressed concern at the extent to which clubs were "making losses and operating on the edge of viability" with "escalating wages" driving up the levels of debt.

It said that since the Premier League became the top tier of the game in England, clubs had been "incentivised" to "spend up to the hilt" to win promotion to it or to retain their place there.

"While we acknowledge that financial regulations have been tightened of late, we are not convinced that even the new rules recently adopted by both the Premier League and the Football League are by themselves sufficient to curb English football's excesses," it added.

Comment

• Bmore
                  The True Free-Man
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cpollack09
                  Juergen Klinsmann hired to coach U.S. men's soccer national team - http://es.pn/owdXmW
                  Just read about this. (kinda preoccupied with NFL shiz)

Anyone think this boosts the US? or will he have no effect at all?

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                    The Greatest
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bmore
                    Just read about this. (kinda preoccupied with NFL shiz)

Anyone think this boosts the US? or will he have no effect at all?

As a coach, he's heavily overrated. He was never the brains of the operation, he was always just a mentor figure to all the players. He did help create the revolution among the youth, which is what everyone hopes he's able to do here.

Unless he hires some assistants to control the tactics, he'll be of no use.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                      I literally know nothing.
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by heelswxman
                      Mancini says he wants another CM and a winger. This is just getting fucking absurd at this point. He does realize that he can only register 25 players right?
                      He must be trying to get this team to resemble his 10 straight championship FM team. I heard it includes Pele, Maradona, and Zidane.

Comment

• 1ke
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                        • Mar 2009

^^^ That is FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

And still waiting to see how City deal with the FFP, no way in hell they get by.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                          Late to the party.
                          • Jun 2009

Javier Pastore to PSG?!

Yes!
                          PSG are ridiculous. That's Matiudi (sp?), Gameiro and Menez. Fucking Arab owners.

Originally posted by Prodigal Son
                          As a coach, he's heavily overrated. He was never the brains of the operation, he was always just a mentor figure to all the players. He did help create the revolution among the youth, which is what everyone hopes he's able to do here.

Unless he hires some assistants to control the tactics, he'll be of no use.
                          I think there will be a initial period where the change is really going to revitalize the team and they'll do well, but it will fade quickly. Klinsmann has never proved anything and it's going to take a lot for him to come out of this job unscathed.
                          Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                          If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• killgod
                            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                            • Oct 2008

enjoy tonight's match CB, I'm jealous. can't wait to watch it.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                              Tiote!
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                              enjoy tonight's match CB, I'm jealous. can't wait to watch it.
                              Thanks! The mariners game last night was a farce, so hoping this is better. Upside was it was sonics appreciation night, so I got to see my boy Gary Payton!

Excited to see fringes live, always made him the hub of my German team in fm08. Overall though, hoping for a 5 to 4 timbers win. 5-5 draw if that make you happier kg. I want goals and lots of them

More thoughts because I am doing this on my iPhone.

Klinnsman is a great hire IMO. He hired low for Germany, but failed at bayern. I think it will be his ideas for development and youth focus that will inspire growth rather than any crazy tactical decisions

Pastore to psg is crazy. 45€ million? I guess you have to pay for quality, but that is an inflated price IMO.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                                Tiote!
                                • Mar 2009

I don't know why people keep talking about inflated prices as if it's a one off thing.

All prices are inflated now, this is the new norm.
                                I think it's because the market has been set at prices like €40 mil for cesc and similar for nasri and sneijder. Pastore is a very good player, but older than kun with a less impressive track record

Comment

Working...