X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigHouseUSA
    Late to the party.
    • Jun 2009

6m is a shit fee for Enrique, but it doesn't really matter since we'll never spend that money anyway. Looks like we have a replacement lined up.
    Originally posted by mgoblue2290
    If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• killgod
      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cpollack09
      It should be where u are born, that's who u have to play for, i thought it was that way...
      Nope. If you have a parent or grandparent of that nation you can play. Or if you've lived there for, I think it's 5 years, then you can play for that nation.

Canada's had this problem for the past decade+.

Owen Hargreaves (turned his back on Wales too), Asmir Begovic (even had a adidas U-20 commercial as a Canadian done), Teal Bunbury (his father is a Canadian soccer legend and he came up through the Canadian system), Jonothan De Guzman (brother plays for us, seems to think he can eventually crack the Dutch lineup - won't happen though), Junior Hoilett (has said he'd play for Canada after he sorts out his contract status with Blackburn but it's also rumored he's going to get a call to play for England), Jacob Lensky, Daniel Fernandes....

Although on the other hand we have many players on the current roster who could have played elsewhere too, that's just the way it is.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
        Late to the party.
        • Jun 2009

Chandler won't leave. That's just BigSoccer talk.

Comment

• FirstTimer
          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Obst
          Also Mexican fans are so fucking classless. After Rogers scored, a Mexican behind us started throwing beer on everyone and flipping us off. And when Donovan was leaving the field, he was clapping and looking at the US fans and a Mexican fan threw a bottle right off his head. Fuck them.
          Frankly I'm not surprised....

Comment

• calgaryballer
            Tiote!
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by killgod
            Nope. If you have a parent or grandparent of that nation you can play. Or if you've lived there for, I think it's 5 years, then you can play for that nation.

Canada's had this problem for the past decade+.

Owen Hargreaves (turned his back on Wales too), Asmir Begovic (even had a adidas U-20 commercial as a Canadian done), Teal Bunbury (his father is a Canadian soccer legend and he came up through the Canadian system), Jonothan De Guzman (brother plays for us, seems to think he can eventually crack the Dutch lineup - won't happen though), Junior Hoilett (has said he'd play for Canada after he sorts out his contract status with Blackburn but it's also rumored he's going to get a call to play for England), Jacob Lensky, Daniel Fernandes....

Although on the other hand we have many players on the current roster who could have played elsewhere too, that's just the way it is.
            I believe Begovic was called up for Canada, but the geniuses never capped him

Comment

• killgod
              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
              I believe Begovic was called up for Canada, but the geniuses never capped him
              The story how I've heard it goes like this...

He was called up for one WCQ in 2008 but wasn't used - Dale Mitchell is a fuckin moron for doing this, but that was it. He still always said he wanted to play for Canada after this and all was well.

In 2009 he made his appearance in the EPL and was gaining more notoriety as a player. Now on the V's board, I'm not sure where this information was gotten from or how legit it is, but it's rumoured that at this time Begovic was threatened by a group from Bosnia, be it Mafia, Government, something...essentially saying play for Bosnia or bad things will happen to your family.

So despite still being all gung ho about playing for Canada, he all of a sudden wants to play for Bosnia. Things haven't gone well for him there either as he's pulled out of friendlies causing some problems between him and the Bosnian FA.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to all of that since it was just a blog piece with no real evidence, but it's still out there as a rumour none the less.

Comment

• killgod
                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                • Oct 2008

Faroe Islands have the concept of Home Field Advantage figured out.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                  Late to the party.
                  • Jun 2009

Does anyone know much about Erik Pieters? Looks like he'll be our next left back, getting a lot of mixed reviews on him.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                    Hargreaves has always been the one that bothered me. Born and raised in Canada, then went to play in Germany. Yet he somehow "feels more English" and chooses the nation he's never lived in nor played football in. I get why someone would pick a powerhouse nation over whatever Canada qualifies as in the sport, but at least be honest about it.

At least someone like Lukas Podolski (who is gonna end up as Germany's all team leading goal scorer, most likely) was born in Poland but grew up in Germany.

Comment

• killgod
                      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
                      Hargreaves has always been the one that bothered me. Born and raised in Canada, then went to play in Germany. Yet he somehow "feels more English" and chooses the nation he's never lived in nor played football in. I get why someone would pick a powerhouse nation over whatever Canada qualifies as in the sport, but at least be honest about it.

At least someone like Lukas Podolski (who is gonna end up as Germany's all team leading goal scorer, most likely) was born in Poland but grew up in Germany.
                      Hargreaves is just a punk. After he decided he wasn't playing for Canada, he was literally about to go play for a U21 side for Wales then England called so he ditched them too. He had never even lived there, yet was playing for them. Silly.

The ones that annoy me most are the Bunbury's. Yes he grew up in America, but Canada spent the time and money developing him throughout his years only for him to turn his cloak at the sniff of the US (which he probably won't ever really be a big part of anyways). Canada is left with nothing but wasted time and resources. This is something that happens all over. I think any FA that develops a player of their own country should get some sort of compensation when a "bigger" nation decides to take them away like that.

I'm really interested to see how the Hoilett situation plays out. I came across an article regarding Scotland and some spanish player on Rangers who said he'd play for the Scottish team. Apparently there's some "gentlemen's" agreement with the UK nations where they only will take players with natural bloodlines in their family. Hoilett certainly doesn't qualify there as he's only bloodtied to Jamaica and Canada, but if he continues to grow into a EPL star...what will happen?

Comment

• killgod
                        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                        • Oct 2008

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybNNZub3Psc[/ame]

Comment

• killgod
                          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                          • Oct 2008

Tottenham/Everton is off.

Comment

• wr50l
                            Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                            • Oct 2008

Welcome to six hours ago.

Comment

• killgod
                              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by wr50l
                              Welcome to six hours ago.

Comment

• Obst
                                RIP West
                                • Oct 2008

Goal.com has learned that Freddy Adu will sign with the Philadelphia Union after spending the last four years in Europe.

Adu will be reunited with Peter Nowak, who coached Adu during his early years with D.C. United and with the U.S. under-23 squad.
                                Woot!

Comment

Working...