X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davie
    Hey, relax guy!
    • Oct 2008

I don't know how people don't realise Ronaldo was THAT great.

His goals per game wherever he played is unbelievable. He wasn't great in the air. He could score amazing goals with both feet. He could beat 3 or 4 defenders at a time (at Barcelona and Inter). Ridiculous pace (still faster than most after damaging his cruciate ligaments) and great strength because of his "fat" build.

He IS one of the top 3 players ever, up there with Zidane and Maradona.

Comment

• calgaryballer
      Tiote!
      • Mar 2009

His goal against Ghana in the last World Cup was one of my favorites ever. Simple, but for some reason I love. Just a nice step over, sent the keeper the wrong way, and finished smoothly

Comment

• calgaryballer
        Tiote!
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by davie
        I don't know how people don't realise Ronaldo was THAT great.

His goals per game wherever he played is unbelievable. He wasn't great in the air. He could score amazing goals with both feet. He could beat 3 or 4 defenders at a time (at Barcelona and Inter). Ridiculous pace (still faster than most after damaging his cruciate ligaments) and great strength because of his "fat" build.

He IS one of the top 3 players ever, up there with Zidane and Maradona.
        Hmm, that last sentence is just looking to spark a debate. I always find it hard to pick lists like those due to era, teams, etc. IMO Ronaldo IS NOT a Top 3 player ever. Off the top of my head, guys that I would rate higher

Di Stefano
        Ferenc Puskás
        Johan Cruyff (nice tribute video here [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1VWSntqRg[/media])
        Beckenbauer
        Eusebio
        Platini

So I would probably put him top 10, but IMO not top 3

Comment

• calgaryballer
          Tiote!
          • Mar 2009

And for fun, an Eric Cantona HL

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QrPJZjDUK0#t=03m10s[/media]

Comment

• davie
            Hey, relax guy!
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
            Hmm, that last sentence is just looking to spark a debate. I always find it hard to pick lists like those due to era, teams, etc. IMO Ronaldo IS NOT a Top 3 player ever. Off the top of my head, guys that I would rate higher

Di Stefano
            Ferenc Puskás
            Johan Cruyff (nice tribute video here [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1VWSntqRg[/media])
            Beckenbauer
            Eusebio
            Platini

So I would probably put him top 10, but IMO not top 3
            The reasoning behind my top 3 is that they have all proven that just one player, in a game of 11 vs 11, can make a huge difference and even lead a team to titles.

Maradona - not just the 1986 world cup. Also led Napoli to two league titles in 1987 and 1990 (still the only team south of Rome to win the title I believe)

Zidane - Won everything. La Liga, Serie A, European Championships, Champions League, World Cup. France have looked shit since he retired after carrying them to a final.

Ronaldo - "only" won La Liga and 2 World Cups (Champions League with Milan in 2006-07 had he not been cup tied). 3 time world footballer of the year, stupid amount of other personal honours too. All this achieved despite a career ravaged by horrible injuries.

Comment

• calgaryballer
              Tiote!
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by davie
              The reasoning behind my top 3 is that they have all proven that just one player, in a game of 11 vs 11, can make a huge difference and even lead a team to titles.

Maradona - not just the 1986 world cup. Also led Napoli to two league titles in 1987 and 1990 (still the only team south of Rome to win the title I believe)

Zidane - Won everything. La Liga, Serie A, European Championships, Champions League, World Cup. France have looked shit since he retired after carrying them to a final.

Ronaldo - "only" won La Liga and 2 World Cups (Champions League with Milan in 2006-07 had he not been cup tied). 3 time world footballer of the year, stupid amount of other personal honours too. All this achieved despite a career ravaged by horrible injuries.
              I see the reasoning, but Cruyff lead Ajax to three European titles, 3 time FIFA Footballer of the Year, nine Eredivise titles (a lower level than Serie A, but still dominant) and was the central figure in one of the most revered national sides ever (though they didn't win a World Cup)

And Di Stefano, 8 La Ligas. 5 European Cups, 2 Ballon D'Ors, etc. I hear the arguments already 'the European Cup wasn't the same', 'Franco favored Madrid', etc. Regardless, those achievements are massive.

Comment

• Senser81
                VSN Poster of the Year
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by nyg4lyfe91
                Ok, I'm sure you made a mistake as well before. Ive had my mind on someone else this whole time and forgot he played for Barca. So STFU.
                The problem isn't that you initially failed to mention Ronaldo's time at Barcelona, its that you were insistent that I was wrong after I had made mention of Ronaldo's time at Barcelona.

We all forget things and have brain cramps from time to time, but only a jackass such as yourself would forget something so obvious, then go on to be a prick to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

No sympathy here.

Comment

• T.Dot
                  A Real RockNRolla
                  • Nov 2008

sometimes I wonder if clubs just spend money if they have, rofl, 19 mil for Glen Johnson and he'll be nothing more than a sub

Comment

• calgaryballer
                    Tiote!
                    • Mar 2009

United introduce a new purchasing policy, no one over 26 years of age

Champions have decided not to sign players aged 26 or more for big money

Basically, they need to start getting sell on fees. This reeks of being a Glazer introduced, debt reduction strategy. They are going to need some massive profits for those debts

Comment

• Senser81
                      VSN Poster of the Year
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by nyg4lyfe91
                      Ok, its over. It already happened like 2 days ago. Get a life.
                      No, its not over, because you still don't understand. Anything. Get a brain.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                        Tiote!
                        • Mar 2009

And Marcus Hahnemann has signed for Wolves. Reading has a soft spot in my heart, and Marcus was instrumental in their superb first Premier League season, and a big part in trying to keep them up. I assume Wayne Henessey will still be #1 for Wolves, but it will be good for the young Welsh keeper to learn from Marcus

Looks like Adam Federici time at Reading though

Comment

• Senser81
                          VSN Poster of the Year
                          • Feb 2009

Onto real stuff. Liverpool look likely to keep Xabi Alonso and are dropping 18 mil GBP on Glen Johnson. Decent player, but not the difference between winning the title and falling back into the pack. David Silva on the other hand...
                          Liverpool does a great job at overpaying for bunch of decent players, then only having a quarter of those guys ever seeing the pitch. The Robbie Keane signing last year was ridiculous, if only because they never played him. Glen Johnson is a nice player, probably had the best season he'll ever have last year, but he's not a difference maker and probably not that much of an upgrade over Arbeloa, Aurellio, Dossena, Insua, etc.

I think Liverpool's backline is in need of a major shakeup. The fullbacks are all average, and Aurellio and Insua are liabilities when it comes to defending. Liverpool has a few world-class players, but IMO the rest of the squad isn't any better than the Evertons and Fulhams of the world.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                            Tiote!
                            • Mar 2009

Sums up my feelings exactly. A slight upgrade at rightback is not going to magically win the league. Especially when the rest of the Big 4 have equally strong, if not stronger, squads to begin with. Rafa seems to be hoping that Torres and Gerrard will play all 38 league games together this season, while ignoring the fact that Chelsea will have Essien, Arsenal will have Fabregas+Arshavin for a whole season and United will have whoever 80 mil buys (Benzema?).

Comment

• Senser81
                              VSN Poster of the Year
                              • Feb 2009

Rafa seems to be hoping that Torres and Gerrard will play all 38 league games together this season
                              But even if that is possible, Rafa would still start Lucas Leiva over Gerrard versus Arsenal and put Ngog and El Zhar in instead of Torres for the ManU matchup!

I understand Rafa's "rotation" system, I just don't think it works when a) you are trying to win the league, not just a spot in Europe, and b) when you have a few guys who are miles better than their backups.

Comment

• T.Dot
                                A Real RockNRolla
                                • Nov 2008

Iraq plays the most boring brand of football ever, they had 9 guys behind the ball today against Spain, you could see Villa was pissed

Comment

Working...