X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prodigal Son
    The Greatest
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by heelswxman
    I love the argument, "You don't think Donovan is good enough so you must hate American soccer"

I guess I should be more like CNNSI and hype up all the US players regardless of talent.
    No, it's just simple that him playing for the US taints his image among those who watch the sport. They think just because he plays for the US, that he isn't that good. Same can be said about Dempsey, Howard, and many others who play in the EPL. They won't get their fair shots at playing on the top teams because of their nationality.

The US has constantly put out great goalies, and yet they all get overlooked in the EPL. Guys like Keller and Freidel never got fair shots to be on top teams.

Think Donovan is trash all you want, but please, show me a list of all active players who have 50 goals/50 assists in international play? The guy is a lot better then many of you are trashing him for.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Prodigal Son
      No, it's just simple that him playing for the US taints his image among those who watch the sport. They think just because he plays for the US, that he isn't that good. Same can be said about Dempsey, Howard, and many others who play in the EPL. They won't get their fair shots at playing on the top teams because of their nationality.

The US has constantly put out great goalies, and yet they all get overlooked in the EPL. Guys like Keller and Freidel never got fair shots to be on top teams.

Think Donovan is trash all you want, but please, show me a list of all active players who have 50 goals/50 assists in international play? The guy is a lot better then many of you are trashing him for.
      The US is hardly alone with producing class keepers who don't get a chance at the top teams. Mexico, Russia, Argentina, Turkey, and even Russia have produced class keepers in the recent past who never really got much of a shot, if any, with bigger European clubs. Jussi Jaasekelainen has been consistently among the top keepers in England for a decade now and he's never managed a move away from Bolton. Pretty much every non-British player faces some degree of scrutiny in England when they arrive, because one can point to players from any given nation who have failed to some extent with an English clubs. Claiming there is an anti-American bias amongst English clubs or fans seems odd, given there is resistance against almost any nationality. I recall some Liverpool supporters being really upset at the money spent on Fernando Torres and the reason was simply because other Spanish imports had failed in the past...

Is it really trashing a player to doubt that they would clearly and obviously walk into the squad of "most Champions League caliber clubs"? I'm not saying he's useless or has no quality... But a player capable of walking into the side of almost any top four club in any major European league is a truly top class player...

Donovan's international scoring record is quality. And its taken him almost 130 international caps to get there. In one of the weakest regional federations in the world. The scoring record would impress me a bit more if about half the goals weren't coming against nations ranked outside FIFA's top fifty, and many of them from outside the top one hundred. Ali Daei was worse in that regard with his 109 international goals for Iran... but still...
      Last edited by Bigpapa42; 07-24-2010, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• davie
        Hey, relax guy!
        • Oct 2008

I remember when all the Champions League standard clubs were desperate for him. He scored 44 goals for Saudi Arabia and people hated on him for playing for Saudi Arabia and for having a great scoring record for Al Hilal.

And for his receding hairline being a major weakness of his [LOL BigHouse]

Comment

• 1ke
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
          • Mar 2009

See that there, thats your overlooking. United spent real money on this dude (4mil) and gave him the job right off the bat. He won 3 trophies, C.S.. Carling Cup...And F.A. Cup....But they never won the league and it was a horrible gaffe by him that lead to them bouncing out if C.L.

I dont know how many times we have to say it, Im pretty sure were all US Soccer supporters, and we dont hate the players or the league. Shit Im all for Marcus Tracy tearing it up at Allborg...Lol

Comment

• Bigpapa42
            • Feb 2009

Looks like Citeh just signed Kolarov from Lazio, the Serbian leftback. 19m for a leftback... Christ. Good player from what I've seen of him, but 19m? If reality were Football Manager, Citeh would be assembling a dream squad...

Comment

• Archer
              Go the fuck outside
              • Oct 2008

Every club will drive the asking price up simply because they know it is City and they are good for the money. [I don't blame them either]

Same thing was happening to Chelski at the start. People thought 24mil for Drogba, 21 for Wright-Phillips etc were crazy amounts to be spending.

Comment

• citizenerased
                Rugby World Cup Champion
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Archer
                Every club will drive the asking price up simply because they know it is City and they are good for the money. [I don't blame them either]

Same thing was happening to Chelski at the start. People thought 24mil for Drogba, 21 for Wright-Phillips etc were crazy amounts to be spending.
                Except Newcastle... who will sell a top European Goalie for peanuts... in the January window and not even demand it be paid all up front.
                Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• Archer
                  Go the fuck outside
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by citizenerased
                  Except Newcastle... who will sell a top European Goalie for peanuts... in the January window and not even demand it be paid all up front.
                  Ok then... smart teams will ask for more because it is City.
                  Last edited by Archer; 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• davie
                    Hey, relax guy!
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
                    Looks like Citeh just signed Kolarov from Lazio, the Serbian leftback. 19m for a leftback... Christ. Good player from what I've seen of him, but 19m? If reality were Football Manager, Citeh would be assembling a dream squad...
                    Must have only watched him play for Serbia, because Serie A is obviously too shit for all of you and below the levels of MLS and SPL.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by davie
                      Must have only watched him play for Serbia, because Serie A is obviously too shit for all of you and below the levels of MLS and SPL.
                      I quite enjoy that you can make blanket statements about my viewing habits based on absolutely nothing.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                        The Greatest
                        • Feb 2009

I never said anyone hated the USNT, you guys just assumed it. My point is that Donovan playing for the US hurts his value. Had he been from Mexico, or any other respected football nation, his value would be much higher.

Howard when he played for Man U is a much different player then he is today. The repeated benchings would destroy any players psyche. The guy is now one of the EPL's top keepers. Let's be honest, he never had a fair shot.

Comment

• davie
                          Hey, relax guy!
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
                          I quite enjoy that you can make blanket statements about my viewing habits based on absolutely nothing.
                          I got the general feeling that everyone in here enjoys hating Italian football, so I made a fair assumption that you'd only watched him play for Serbia. I think he's one of the best left backs in the world.

I never said anyone hated the USNT, you guys just assumed it. My point is that Donovan playing for the US hurts his value. Had he been from Mexico, or any other respected football nation, his value would be much higher.

Howard when he played for Man U is a much different player then he is today. The repeated benchings would destroy any players psyche. The guy is now one of the EPL's top keepers. Let's be honest, he never had a fair shot.
                          He was dropped for making bad errors and costing the team goals. It's not like a normal position where you might have to adapt to the pace of the game or change the role you play. He was dropped for performance reasons. He had a fair shot and in his own tourette-ridden words he fucked it the fuck up because he's shit and a fucking cunt fuck dick shit tits.

Comment

• Cody
                            GOAAAAL
                            • Jul 2010

cant wait till all star game

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                              • Feb 2009

I got the general feeling that everyone in here enjoys hating Italian football, so I made a fair assumption that you'd only watched him play for Serbia. I think he's one of the best left backs in the world.
                              I will quite honestly watch any footballI can, and I try to watch Serie A about as much as much as I watch La Liga. I'll even watch South American football. Some of the top players in the world by in La Liga, so why wouldn't one want to watch at least occasionally?

I haven't seen quite enough of Kolarov to say yes or not on him being of quite that quality. I do know he's quite highly rated.

Comment

• 1ke
                                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                                • Mar 2009

Ill verbally groan you for saying this crap....All those leagues clearly do not mess with Shamrock Rovers and the Irish league...Duh!

Comment

Working...