X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Archer
    The spots should be decided by how good a continent is not how many nations it has trying to qualify

We don't need to water down an already watered down tourney

Africa got 6 spots last time [48 in their zone I think] but only ONE made it out the groups which was a quite pathetic effort to be honest. South America had 5 spots out of 10 and all 5 made it out

South America gets the perfect amount. They have the toughest zone to qualify from and fully deserve those spots imo. [I'm talking top to bottom. Europe probably has more good teams but they all get seperated in qualifying]
    Yeah but what are the CONCACAF nations that aren't USA/Mexico supposed to do?

They get shit on for being in this region. They get shit on because they are stuck playing against nations in this region.

How are they ever supposed to prove themselves on the world stage if USA/Mex are going to be the only teams that ever get out of this region in to the WC?

It's not that the South American teams aren't deserving, but again, how does Costa Rica go toe to toe with a 4th place WC team and be considered undeserving of even being there while Uruguay is? That's a crock of shit.

I partially disagree with your "watered down" comment. Yeah the level of competition is stretched at 32 nations, but how the fuck is anyone outside of the elite supposed to be a threat at this tournament if they can't even get there to gain the experience at that level?

You've said directly to me yourself, the group stage is the best part of the World Cup. So really, does it truly bother you that much about how "watered down" it is?

One of the best storylines in these tournaments is when a dark horse gets on a run, i.e. Uruguay 2010, Turkey Euro 2008, Greece Euro 04, Korea WC 2002? Don't tell me that's not to be enjoyed or worthy of football fan's time.

I do find it odd that you'd say that CONMEBOL gets the right amount of spots, despite the fact that they are only guaranteed 4 spots to begin with, the 5th can go either way.

Comment

• Cody
      GOAAAAL
      • Jul 2010

Manchester play Everton on 9/11 also. What a great day of soccer that will be!

Comment

• 1ke
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
        • Mar 2009

Not bad...not bad at all for Tottenham getting VDV. They pulled the deal off...they started the deal about 2 hours before deadline, and got it pushed through because they said their internet was down

lol....

Comment

• citizenerased
          Rugby World Cup Champion
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by killgod
          How are they ever supposed to prove themselves on the world stage if USA/Mex are going to be the only teams that ever get out of this region in to the WC?
          I'm sorry, but if you can't beat one of two very middle of the road soccer nations, you can't cry about not being able to go the World Cup.

It's not that the South American teams aren't deserving, but again, how does Costa Rica go toe to toe with a 4th place WC team and be considered undeserving of even being there while Uruguay is? That's a crock of shit.
          Because Uruguay finished 5th in a qualifying tournament that features 8 teams in the World Top 60. Costa Rica finished 4th in a qualifying tournament that features 4 teams in the Top 60.

I partially disagree with your "watered down" comment. Yeah the level of competition is stretched at 32 nations, but how the fuck is anyone outside of the elite supposed to be a threat at this tournament if they can't even get there to gain the experience at that level?
          Tough shit, the World Cup isn't about giving every team a chance. It's about purely pitting the best against the best to decide the best team in the world... that and filling FIFA Executives secret Swiss bank accounts, but thats a different topic.

You've said directly to me yourself, the group stage is the best part of the World Cup. So really, does it truly bother you that much about how "watered down" it is?
          Watering down = lowering the quality of the teams in the group stage. Lower quality of teams = shit Soccer.

One of the best storylines in these tournaments is when a dark horse gets on a run, i.e. Uruguay 2010, Turkey Euro 2008, Greece Euro 04, Korea WC 2002? Don't tell me that's not to be enjoyed or worthy of football fan's time.
          Want to know what made those runs so exciting? the fact that in the tournament they were knocking out the likes of Spain, France, Argentina and all the other elite teams in the process. Not that they beat Costa Rica and Burkina Faso on route to the final.

I do find it odd that you'd say that CONMEBOL gets the right amount of spots, despite the fact that they are only guaranteed 4 spots to begin with, the 5th can go either way.
          Which is as it should be, if the 5th best CONMEBOL can't beat the 4th best team from a weaker region, they don't deserve to have all 5 spots.
          Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• 1ke
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
            • Mar 2009

Damn I was sooo glad to be done with that shit show called the WC

Comment

• Prodigal Son
              The Greatest
              • Feb 2009

Sounders defeated Chivas USA, 3-1 in the US Open Cup to advance to the finals. Respect to the Chivas fans who actually drove up 20 hours to make a mid-day game. First group of fans to make the trip to Seattle for the USOC.

Columbus apparently defeated D.C. 2-1 in OT.

The final will be played in Seattle on Oct 5th.

Comment

• killgod
                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by citizenerased
                I'm sorry, but if you can't beat one of two very middle of the road soccer nations, you can't cry about not being able to go the World Cup.
                My argument wasn't "crying about them being there" was to debate his point that these nations are undeserving of having spots awarded to their confederation when clearly they aren't as far apart in skill as you insinuate.

Because Uruguay finished 5th in a qualifying tournament that features 8 teams in the World Top 60. Costa Rica finished 4th in a qualifying tournament that features 4 teams in the Top 60.
                So again, to my point before, CONCACAF nations are punished because of region they are in, not because they aren't skilled enough to play with these nations.

Tough shit, the World Cup isn't about giving every team a chance. It's about purely pitting the best against the best to decide the best team in the world... that and filling FIFA Executives secret Swiss bank accounts, but thats a different topic.
                If the World Cup wasn't about giving 32 teams a chance, then it wouldn't be 32 teams big. That was just a dumb point all together.

Watering down = lowering the quality of the teams in the group stage. Lower quality of teams = shit Soccer.
                Shit soccer that is "so exciting at the time" to those that are now trashing the idea? Interesting how that works out.

I suppose England shouldn't be their either for losing 4-1 to the Germans and sucking total dick throughout the whole tourney, clearly they aren't good enough either eh? Mexico fucked up France, how about France fucks off too? The most lopsided matches at this tournament had more to do with "strong" nations than any other. Well and North Korea, but nobody wanted Kim Wong Dong to blow up the world so we had to let them show up to the party.

What's it to you if these nations are at the event? The right nations were in the final, so what's the problem? Not really much of a "World Cup" if a bunch of snooty cunts from the top 10 won't play with anyone else because their ego's are too big to assume that the rest of the world isn't getting good enough to just be on the same pitch.

Want to know what made those runs so exciting? the fact that in the tournament they were knocking out the likes of Spain, France, Argentina and all the other elite teams in the process. Not that they beat Costa Rica and Burkina Faso on route to the final.
                This is supposed to be a counter argument to my point? These exciting runs cannot happen if they aren't even allowed to enter the "watered down" tournament, who they beat is isn't really relevant to the point I made. It's nothing more than an annoying over exaggeration to suggest that a team would go on a run vs shit nations, and clearly makes no sense as it would never happen.

We're talking about adding a full spot rather than the half spot they have, not inviting the entire fucking world.

If you have an argument, make it, don't just give random nonsensical garbage and call it a successful rebuttle.

Which is as it should be, if the 5th best CONMEBOL can't beat the 4th best team from a weaker region, they don't deserve to have all 5 spots.
                The spot doesn't have to come from CONMEBOL, I mean they could take the .5 from that garbage Oceania setup and put New Zealand in with the rest of Asia. They have a red carpeted path to the WC with that setup. AFC is ranked below CONCACAF, yet they get 4.5 spots. Doesn't make much sense now does it?

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                  The Greatest
                  • Feb 2009

my issue with the concacaf restructure is that there will be no more US/Mexico qualifier games.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                    Late to the party.
                    • Jun 2009

Belgium/Germany on momentarily, could be interesting.
                    Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                    If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                      I Can Score Goals
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by K. Goodell
                      The spot doesn't have to come from CONMEBOL, I mean they could take the .5 from that garbage Oceania setup and put New Zealand in with the rest of Asia. They have a red carpeted path to the WC with that setup. AFC is ranked below CONCACAF, yet they get 4.5 spots. Doesn't make much sense now does it?
                      They really should just put the Oceania winner in the last Asia stage imo.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                        Late to the party.
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by heelswxman
                        Klose got a goal, but Belgium are playing the most boring football ever right now. They're dropping 9-10 guys back behind the ball every time. They're not even getting any counter attacking opportunities. Germany being a goal up is just hoofing the ball around knowing Belgium isn't even trying.
                        Yeah, was hoping Belgium would show off some of there individual talents, hopefully against the smaller nations.
                        Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                        If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                          I Can Score Goals
                          • Dec 2008

Northern Ireland winning 1-0

Comment

• Archer
                            Go the fuck outside
                            • Oct 2008

England looked good in a 4-0 win

Defore grabbed three, Rooney looked healthy again and Hart was impressive once again.

Comment

• Rudi
                              #CyCueto
                              • Nov 2008

^thats cus Hart is GOAT

Comment

• Archer
                                Go the fuck outside
                                • Oct 2008

Comment

Working...