X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Still the most hyped(energy wise) match I've ever seen.

Fucking HUGE pops's at the end. Have to love the Old Nitro crowds.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvMf4P3_2w[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X3EYL5LGc8&feature=related[/ame]

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDBERG....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDBE RG....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDBERG

Comment

• EmpireWF
      Giants in the Super Bowl
      • Mar 2009

The most hyped WCW match of all-time =

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Z39rVeY50[/ame]

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
        The most hyped WCW match of all-time =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Z39rVeY50
        I didn't mean build up wise. I mean energy wise.

Fuck Sting vs Hogan.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

lol

yes, fuck WCW was stupid for putting it on for free on TV but damn was the Georgia Dome hot for it.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

lol

yes, fuck WCW was stupid for putting it on for free on TV but damn was the Georgia Dome hot for it.
            Biggest orgasm of a crowd I've ever seen.

When he picks Hogan up for the Jackhammer and them slams him, you can feel the man goo just cum as a waterfall on the ring.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

...and then Nash killed him off five months later.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                No longer a noob
                • Apr 2011

I loved the old Nitro crowds. They shit all over even the best WWE crowds the last 8 or so years. Probably even before. They just had this whole southern, rowdy thing going. The Goldberg thing was stupid from a business standpoint, but it's still probably the biggest moment in WCW. Arguably the most memorable wrestling moment ever. The Hogan/Andre thing just doesn't hold up the same over time. Whats funny is that if WCW did the Sting/Hogan and Goldberg/Hogan matches right, instead of fucking up the result to the Sting match and the build to the Goldberg match, they could have made sooooo much money.
                SAMSUNG-SGH-A887/A887UCIJ1 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
                  I loved the old Nitro crowds. They shit all over even the best WWE crowds the last 8 or so years. Probably even before. They just had this whole southern, rowdy thing going. The Goldberg thing was stupid from a business standpoint, but it's still probably the biggest moment in WCW. Arguably the most memorable wrestling moment ever. The Hogan/Andre thing just doesn't hold up the same over time. Whats funny is that if WCW did the Sting/Hogan and Goldberg/Hogan matches right, instead of fucking up the result to the Sting match and the build to the Goldberg match, they could have made sooooo much money.
                  SAMSUNG-SGH-A887/A887UCIJ1 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1
                  I don't know about that. From a 'moment' perspective, almost nothing can top Hogan/Andre. I wouldn't put Goldberg/Hogan up there with it (the fact it was thrown away on TV, despite the awesome crowd immediately takes it down IMO).

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I don't know about that. From a 'moment' perspective, almost nothing can top Hogan/Andre. I wouldn't put Goldberg/Hogan up there with it (the fact it was thrown away on TV, despite the awesome crowd immediately takes it down IMO).
                    I don't think it was "thrown away" on TV. In context of what was going on with the Monday Night Wars having a match like that on prime time cable television. Having the belt change hands like that, and WHERE they had it change was a great pice of booking. Goldberg played ball for the Georgia Bulldogs, and Atlanta Falcons that entire place was hyped up for Goldberg and Hogan was the ultimate heel in that scenario. Frankly, if you had done it at a PPV at a neautral site a lot of the atmosphere of that match is lost because the crowd wouldn't have been nearly as jacked.

WCW booked it so Goldberg was playing in the National Championship game at home on national TV. Brilliant move IMO.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Biggest orgasm of a crowd I've ever seen.

When he picks Hogan up for the Jackhammer and them slams him, you can feel the man goo just cum as a waterfall on the ring.
                      Was the toilet paper they were throwing an attempt to help clean up?

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                        Beautiful Like Moses
                        • Oct 2008

That Sting theme was so fucking badass.

Comment

• IamMedellin
                          Everything Burns...
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                          I don't think it was "thrown away" on TV. In context of what was going on with the Monday Night Wars having a match like that on prime time cable television. Having the belt change hands like that, and WHERE they had it change was a great pice of booking. Goldberg played ball for the Georgia Bulldogs, and Atlanta Falcons that entire place was hyped up for Goldberg and Hogan was the ultimate heel in that scenario. Frankly, if you had done it at a PPV at a neautral site a lot of the atmosphere of that match is lost because the crowd wouldn't have been nearly as jacked.

WCW booked it so Goldberg was playing in the National Championship game at home on national TV. Brilliant move IMO.
                          considering the money that WCW couldve made in temrs of PPV buys and the additional money to be made at the PPV gate, this was one of the Biggest PPV matches in wrestling thrown away on free tv to pop a rating in war that was already lost. Nitro was booked at the georgiadome months in advance and the building was going to be packed just b/c it was Nitro, atlanta was always big for WCW. Goldberg/Hogan was not promoted or hyped at all until the day of that nitro, where only a mere 2000 additional tickets were sold. WCW hotshotted this match to pop a rating since Raw had taken the lead in the ratings war, wcw won the night and it was the last time they would win a night. Hogan/Goldberg with any kind of hype wouldve done HUGE numbers in PPV buys and WCW couldve sold out a building on that 1 match alone, the georgiadome was almost fillled to capacity before they even knew that match was going to take place. Again, probably the Biggest moment in the History of Nitro, but an Awful business decision.
                          IMO

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                            • Feb 2009

It was a very questionable business decision. But from the point that Bischoff took over WCW, the company's focus was always on TV ratings. Maybe it goes further than that and is really due to who owned WCW. Regardless, the TV ratings were always the priority. Things like PPV buyrates and even attendances were secondary. WCW gave away pay per view caliber matches on Nitro every week, even once they were killing the WWF in the ratings.

The WWF was always more about building toward the PPV event. Given the money that strong buy rates brings in, that's probably the smarter model.

TNA seems to share a similar "ratings matter most" philosophy as what WCW had. The way TNA books, it seems like they don't care at all about PPV...

Comment

• IamMedellin
                              Everything Burns...
                              • Nov 2008

and yet TNA wonders why they cant do more than 4000 buys...

Comment

• FirstTimer
                                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by IamMedellin
                                considering the money that WCW couldve made in temrs of PPV buys and the additional money to be made at the PPV gate, this was one of the Biggest PPV matches in wrestling thrown away on free tv to pop a rating in war that was already lost
                                In retrospect the war was lost but at the time it wasn't.

Like I said, if that PPV takes place in New York, Detroit, San Jose, etc etc etc that crowd isn't nearly like that and the huge emotion of the crowd is lost. IMO Goldberg couldn't have won the belt anywhere better than in Georgia and WCW set it up that way.

Sure they could have made more money hyping the PPV up and getting a ton of buys but the match would have ended up much lamer IMO.
                                Originally posted by IamMedellin
                                Goldberg/Hogan was not promoted or hyped at all until the day of that nitro, where only a mere 2000 additional tickets were sold. WCW hotshotted this match to pop a rating since Raw had taken the lead in the ratings war, wcw won the night and it was the last time they would win a night. Hogan/Goldberg with any kind of hype wouldve done HUGE numbers in PPV buys and WCW couldve sold out a building on that 1 match alone, the georgiadome was almost fillled to capacity before they even knew that match was going to take place. Again, probably the Biggest moment in the History of Nitro, but an Awful business decision.
                                IMO
                                I guess I'm not disagreeing with the business end of it...I'm just saying that the match doesn't carry as much emotion and atmosphere if it's held at a PPV. Even the Sting/Hogan Starcade match for as hyped as the much was by WCW leading up to it felt empty to me in a lot of ways. Yeah the crowd was into it but nowhere near what the Goldberg/Hogan deal was. And honestly if we can use retrospect WCW having that match at a PPV wouldn't have mattered anyways because WCW ends up folding no matter what. Business aside(which didn't end up mattering anyways) you couldn't have had that belt change hands in any better way.

Comment

Working...