X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

WarnerMcFruitPop...you have a download available of the Dominion PPV?

Comment

• SHOGUN
      4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
      • Jul 2009

Best in the World 2012 was a very good show. The only lulls were Finlay/Elgin (they just didn't jive well together) and Mondo/Bennett (meh), but the rest of the show was really strong and had two MOTY candidates. Corino was on fire tonight on commentary in the main event and Steen delivered a great post-match promo, but the crowd unfortunately no-sold it.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• JayDizzle
        Let's Go All The Way...
        • Nov 2008

It ain't KILL STEEN KILL, but it'll do. ;)

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          WarnerMcFruitPop...you have a download available of the Dominion PPV?
          Not yet. Things are a tad bit slower with the RUDOS power trip. I'll post it as soon as I get my hands on it.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

W2B...give me an idea of the lead up to the Tanahashi-Okada re-match...I've been out of the loop to the lead in...

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

W2B...give me an idea of the lead up to the Tanahashi-Okada re-match...I've been out of the loop to the lead in...
              Okada shocked the world and ended the epic title run of Tanahashi, going from mid card bum to IWGP champ. Okada then killed everybody in his path, including top guys Naito & Hirooki Goto, in title defenses. Nobody ever kicked out of "The Rainmaker". Pinned Tanahashi in a tag match. Dude got over like a legit superstar thanks to the strong booking and an odd quiet charisma. Basically, they booked him the complete opposite as WWE does when they put the title on people like Jack Swagger or Sheamus and then book them like geeks, and because of his charisma, the gamble worked. He's like 24 and is now a made guy, superstar for life. He's now the #1 heel, passing Nakamura, through no fault of Nakamura. Tanahashi now gets his singles rematch against the seemingly impossible to beat young champion.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

I saw the Okada v. Naito and Goto match and I was shocked that ol boy was able to kill it like he did...they really made good on the title change that I hated at first (still mark out for Tanahashi doing a 360 when getting hit by the Rainmaker).

So, basically, this is Tanahashi's rematch...not too much build other than that?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

I saw the Okada v. Naito and Goto match and I was shocked that ol boy was able to kill it like he did...they really made good on the title change that I hated at first (still mark out for Tanahashi doing a 360 when getting hit by the Rainmaker).

So, basically, this is Tanahashi's rematch...not too much build other than that?
                  Yeah, its more of a "can anybody stop him" kind of deal.

Okada attacked Tanahashi post match after a six man on the Super Juniors finals show. Tanahashi pinned Iishi, and Okada jumped him, gave him the Rainmaker, and stood over him with the belt as Gedo cut a promo. Nakamura killed Goto on the outside to set up the IC Title match, too. That was the go home angle. Those dastardly heels killing everybody.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Gotta love the simplicity of "can anybody beat this guy?" and "everybody wants titles". Refreshing. Nobody gets 'fired' or 'gets control of the company!!!11' if either man wins.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                      Let's Go All The Way...
                      • Nov 2008

Gotta love simple wrestling stories.

Champ has the belt, guy wants the belt.

Guy fights to get shot for the belt (as a Heel or Face) and Champ gives it to him (as Face or reluctant Heel).

If Champ is better, Champ goes over.

If Guy is better (ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE...), Guy gets belt and hopefully gets over.
                      Everything else is window dressing to sell tickets and put butts in seats.

Comment

• FedEx227
                        Delivers
                        • Mar 2009

Seems strange and too simple. Don't like it.
                        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                          • Feb 2009

Yeah, too simple for me. Two guys have a reason to fight and each want to win? That's it? Where's the love triangle? Where's someone embracing the hate, or fighting against it? Who is the mindlessly heel commentator against?

Comment

• FedEx227
                            Delivers
                            • Mar 2009

Who gets fired afterwards? Why do wins/losses matters? Answers, people, we need answers!
                            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              Highwayman
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              Gotta love the simplicity of "can anybody beat this guy?" and "everybody wants titles". Refreshing. Nobody gets 'fired' or 'gets control of the company!!!11' if either man wins.
                              Japan keeps it simple.

You need not to know ANY Japanese and you can follow storylines. Finishers are sold like a million bucks and protected. Programs are simple to follow and based on something tangible to athletic competition. Heels and faces are easily divisible.

Imagine a gook trying to watch the WWE with subtitles or the gook announce team...shit is too complicated to follow.

It wasn't always that way...even in the 80's, the WWE kept the main programs ridiculously simple. Hell, you need very little explanation to explain the most complex 80's WWE storylines. Now...try explaining Bryan/AJ/Punk/Kane to someone...hell, we can barely make sense of it.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Okada beating the star (Tanahashi) made him a star, because he didnt immediately lose to Naito & Goto in follow up matches on TV The next two weeks. He beat those guys, too.

And Tanahashi didn't come out smiling and cracking jokes like he didn't give a fuck the day after he lost the belt. He worked his way back up the card until he earned a rematch.

And guess what? When New Japan aired the Okada/Tanahashi rematch from Dominion, look what happened (spoilers to hide the result if you are waiting for a download):

The 6/23 TV show was apparently the highest rated in a long time. This was the show where they aired Hiroshi Tanahashi’s title win over Kazuchika Okada from 6/16. The show aired from 2:45 a.m. to 3:15 a.m. and delivered an 80 share, which means that 80% of the homes watching television in the country during that half hour were watching wrestling.

I don't care if that's 3am, 80% of all people with the TV on in the country watching that match is still just fucking sick. Because people care about the title and the participants. It's not difficult.

The title chase will ALWAYS be the easiest way to draw money. Always. Why North American companies refuse to protect titles is beyond my understanding. Keep it simple, dummies. Save AJ for the midcard.

Comment

Working...