X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    I hate to side with Leavy here...but we've seen this same shit two years ago with Punk.

Guy is super over and hot, beats the top guy (Cena) and they take one step back so he can feud with Del Rio, HHH, and Kevin Nash. They needed to put the belt on him for over a year to re-establish him as a top guy.
    How is this 1 step back for Bryan?

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

I hate to side with Leavy here...but we've seen this same shit two years ago with Punk.

Guy is super over and hot, beats the top guy (Cena) and they take one step back so he can feud with Del Rio, HHH, and Kevin Nash. They needed to put the belt on him for over a year to re-establish him as a top guy.
      I think we're talking apples and oranges with that Punk vs. HHH/Nash/Del Rio shitshow and this one. I don't think you guys can honestly say that they are the same. You and I both know this one has already been done WAY better.
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Punk never deserved the top spot over Cena.

That's hard to swallow, but it's true.

I think Bryan's ceiling is higher than Punk's.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
          War Hero
          • May 2012

It'll be interesting to see how this goes forward though.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
            I don't know what this means. He already beat Cena, and that moment made him.

He's now the lead babyface in the entire company while Cena is gone. He's the first universally mega over babyface to everybody, smarks, marks, mouth breathers, insiders, gen pop, everybody.

The bottom line is this story works much much better with Bryan chasing corporate Orton than it would with Orton chasing babyface Bryan.

We just saw Daniel Bryan elevated to legit top star in 48 hours. I'm not understanding why this is bad.
            I'm not sure what you don't get...yes, he already beat Cena...that moment made him...putting him back into the chase again isn't going to make him bigger than he just was made.

This technique of thinking that having the babyface re-chase after getting there just doesn't work in getting the talent over more than he already was...they've tried it several times and it just hasn't gotten people there.

This is a similar program to the one with Punk after SummerSlam 2011, just take out Del Rio and Kevin Nash and input Randy Orton and the Shield with HHH still involved. Punk re-chasing didn't make him a bigger star than he was when he already beat the top guy. Its really that simple. You're essentially replaying the chase with less meaningful characters.

To dumb it down, its like on Dexter when they tried to re-capture the magic of Doakes with Joey Quinn.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Punk never deserved the top spot over Cena.

That's hard to swallow, but it's true.

I think Bryan's ceiling is higher than Punk's.
              Punk is a proven draw, I am not sure why you'd say that in 2013.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

I'm not sure what you don't get...yes, he already beat Cena...that moment made him...putting him back into the chase again isn't going to make him bigger than he just was made.

This technique of thinking that having the babyface re-chase after getting there just doesn't work in getting the talent over more than he already was...they've tried it several times and it just hasn't gotten people there.

This is a similar program to the one with Punk after SummerSlam 2011, just take out Del Rio and Kevin Nash and input Randy Orton and the Shield with HHH still involved. Punk re-chasing didn't make him a bigger star than he was when he already beat the top guy. Its really that simple. You're essentially replaying the chase with less meaningful characters.

To dumb it down, its like on Dexter when they tried to re-capture the magic of Doakes with Joey Quinn.
                You are way overthinking this.

The babayface overcoming the odds and vanquishing the heels in the end is the most basic wrestling story that exists.

Also, these are not "lesser players". It's the god damn McMahons. Orton means nothing. Could be Swagger or Big Show or Sheamus or Santino in that role. He's just the guy Bryan already tapped. Nothing more. This is Bryan vs McMahons. It doesn't get any bigger than that.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Punk is a proven draw, I am not sure why you'd say that in 2013.
                  Punk is Randy Savage to Cena's Hogan.

Savage was great, a fine draw, and Punk, like Savage, is the guy people will talk about 20 years from now.

But Savage wasn't Hogan. And Punk isn't Cena.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                    I think we're talking apples and oranges with that Punk vs. HHH/Nash/Del Rio shitshow and this one. I don't think you guys can honestly say that they are the same. You and I both know this one has already been done WAY better.
                    It can't be apples to oranges when it really is the same damn feud.

You could say its Royal Gala Apples to Granny Smith Apples, sure...but its essentially the same, eerily, actually.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

You are way overthinking this.

The babayface overcoming the odds and vanquishing the heels in the end is the most basic wrestling story that exists.

Also, these are not "lesser players". It's the god damn McMahons. Orton means nothing. Could be Swagger or Big Show or Sheamus or Santino in that role. He's just the guy Bryan already tapped. Nothing more. This is Bryan vs McMahons. It doesn't get any bigger than that.
                      This is where I disagree...this program ("McMahon versus) has been done to death and hasn't really been important in over a decade.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

It can't be apples to oranges when it really is the same damn feud.

You could say its Royal Gala Apples to Granny Smith Apples, sure...but its essentially the same, eerily, actually.
                        Its not the same at all. That Punk stuff was secondary stuff. This Bryan program is the top program, and he is the top babyface with the top program built around him.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

Punk is Randy Savage to Cena's Hogan.

Savage was great, a fine draw, and Punk, like Savage, is the guy people will talk about 20 years from now.

But Savage wasn't Hogan. And Punk isn't Cena.
                          That doesn't mean that you can't put Punk or Savage in the top spot nor aren't deserving...both guys have been in the top spot and drew quite well. Its like saying Okada shouldn't be in the top spot because he's not Tanahashi.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

This is where I disagree...this program ("McMahon versus) has been done to death and hasn't really been important in over a decade.
                            So who should he be feuding with?

Heyman's guys are occupied with Punk. Below Bryan's program, btw.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                              Beautiful Like Moses
                              • Oct 2008

I was pretty annoyed at how it all went down last night, but I agree with Warner and FedEx here, this isnt hurting Bryan one bit. If anything its only making him even popular amongs the the regular mouth breathers in the crowd who now are 100% behind him if they werent already, not just the internet smarks. The fact that he lost the belt is irrelevant because the belt means nothing. The OWNER of the company, the COO, the COO`s wife, are all trying to hold this man down and he is going to end up prevailing in the end. Im not saying they cant fuck this one up, but to me it seems like proper booking. They dont seem to be going with a half-hearted McMahon feud, they appear to be going all the way with this one. I think this will do good for Bryan. He is much better in the chasing position anyways, and it appears it will also help him knock the comedy act.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

That doesn't mean that you can't put Punk or Savage in the top spot nor aren't deserving...both guys have been in the top spot and drew quite well. Its like saying Okada shouldn't be in the top spot because he's not Tanahashi.
                                But Okada is 24 and can be Tanahashi (or better). That's building the next guy.

Savage was fine on top, did great. When Hogan came back, well, that was that.

It's not a knock to Savage or Punk to say they aren't Hogan or Cena.

Comment

Working...